Main Menu

Brisbane Pre-Season Training

Started by Ringo, November 11, 2014, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

Ringo

At least we have the depth to cover injuries but hope not too many more though. Jackson Paine has looked good at training so he may also be in the frame for a forward position.  NAB cup will be interesting to see where some play and roles looking at Mayes. McStay, Staker, Rich, Lester, Bewick, Claye Beams and Mich Robinson.  And aslo how Berger and Stef work together.

fasttrack13

Ringo

Has been training with the midfield group and at times with forward group so as I said will be interesting to watch NAB cup.

Ringo

Todays scheduled intraclub trial match has been cancelled for obvious reasons.

Ricochet

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/justin-leppitsch-says-up-to-five-spots-up-for-grabs-in-brisbane-lions-round-1-line-up/story-fnia3y5g-1227225877921

Justin Leppitsch says up to five spots up for grabs in Brisbane Lions Round 1 line-up

Leppitsch said there was competition among the key forwards with Michael Close, Jackson Paine, Luke McGuane and Brent Staker gunning for two spots.

Backline spots, especially across half-back, are also contentious with Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay, Marco Paparone, Darcy Gardiner, Claye Beams and Justin Clarke trying to squeeze into places around Daniel Rich, Ryan Lester and Daniel Merrett.

The arrivals of new recruits Allen Christensen and Mitch Robinson have also made the half-forward line crowded.

Ringo

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/claye-beams-ready-to-make-a-name-for-himself-at-brisbane-lions/story-fnp04d6z-1227240398420

Suggestions that Claye Beams will be starting at HB Flank possibly in place of Harwood at this stage.

Word also that Harris Andrews is really putting pressure on for a back spot so keep an eye on.

Ringo

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-ruckman-stef-martin-welcomes-weight-of-expectation-after-breakout-season/story-fnia3y5g-1227241967772

Couple of interesting facts in the article.  Martin has added 3 kg to his frame without losing mobility. Could Beger and Stef be a viable ruck duo for FF.

and

Each Lions player ran an average of 330km in the 16-week pre-season program and the squad lifted a total of 765,590kg with 13,620 repetitions in the gym.

Ricochet

Quote from: Ringo on February 28, 2015, 12:00:38 PM
http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-ruckman-stef-martin-welcomes-weight-of-expectation-after-breakout-season/story-fnia3y5g-1227241967772

Couple of interesting facts in the article.  Martin has added 3 kg to his frame without losing mobility. Could Beger and Stef be a viable ruck duo for FF.

and

Each Lions player ran an average of 330km in the 16-week pre-season program and the squad lifted a total of 765,590kg with 13,620 repetitions in the gym.
wow thats not very much at all. Was expecting AFL clubs to do a lot more than an average of 20kms a week

Some WAFL clubs average 25km off just 3 nights a week

Very surprising

JBs-Hawks

I probably do around 20 a week haha

11k a week + 2 trainings

Big Mac

Quote from: Ricochet on February 28, 2015, 01:02:24 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 28, 2015, 12:00:38 PM

and

wow thats not very much at all. Was expecting AFL clubs to do a lot more than an average of 20kms a week

Some WAFL clubs average 25km off just 3 nights a week

Very surprising

Sounds about right to me - They do a fair bit of repeat sprint type stuff. And they only train 3 times a week anyway don't they? (Not including gym sessions)

Ricochet

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on February 28, 2015, 01:13:19 PM
I probably do around 20 a week haha

11k a week + 2 trainings
haha yeh same

Ringo

Just bear in mind the 16 weeks includes the Christmas new Year break as well so when that is factored in closer to 30k a week.  Also have had a couple of training sessions cancelled due to wet.

Ringo

Just went to my first training session of the New Year due to circumstances.

Couple of observations
Christensen is really enjoying his time out here and is fitting in well. Trained strongly today but will probably not be seen till final NAB match.
Paparone has gained an inch or two in height and is going quite well.
Claye Beams is really benefiting from having his brother in the team and his game is lifting not to outdo Dayne though. Clayes kicking seems to have improved as well.
Bewick has been the standout for me and would not surprise to see him starting on HB line.
Rich is really jumping out of his skin and wanting to play and as we seen on the weekend will be instrumental with kick ins with his accuracy. Can see him playing of HB as well.
"Squizzy" Taylor does not look to be suffering from 2nd year syndrome and if anything his game has gone up a notch.
Close is the obvious replacement for Brown but needs another year or 2 developing. He has the motor to run full backs around.

Whilst all the new recruits are showing something and all goes well for the future the only one I can see pushing for round 1 selection is Jaden McGrath.