Main Menu

AFL umpires to learn from US best

Started by Ricochet, August 27, 2014, 09:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/afl-umpires-to-learn-from-us-best-in-selffunded-endofseason-trip-to-new-york-city/story-e6frf3e3-1227037927122?from=public_rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

AFL umpires will meet some of the top whistle blowers in American sport on an end-of-season trip to New York.

The Herald Sun can reveal 29 of the league's 32 umpires plus coaches will spend a week visiting officials from the NBA, NHL and NFL in November.

AFL national umpiring director Wayne Campbell said the umpires will pay for the "personal development" trip themselves.

Pretty poor that this is costing them personally. Surely the AFL can help them out?

kilbluff1985

can probably claim it on tax but agree it's poor form

quinny88

I understand that the umpires are doing this off their own bat but honestly.. In what way will this help in the slightest? Completely different games with completely different rules umpired by what I would assume are full time employees of their respective leagues.

Sure, they can learn some things but if we really want umpiring to improve then stop making new BS rules with different interpretations week to week and actually employ these blokes full time. Would hate to be an AFL umpire. Hardest sport in the world to adjudicate with the way things change not only on a yearly basis but on a weekly basis!

Ricochet

Quote from: quinny88 on August 27, 2014, 10:22:04 AM
I understand that the umpires are doing this off their own bat but honestly.. In what way will this help in the slightest? Completely different games with completely different rules umpired by what I would assume are full time employees of their respective leagues.

Sure, they can learn some things but if we really want umpiring to improve then stop making new BS rules with different interpretations week to week and actually employ these blokes full time. Would hate to be an AFL umpire. Hardest sport in the world to adjudicate with the way things change not only on a yearly basis but on a weekly basis!
Completely agree with your bottom point mate.

It may not be directly related to our sport and rules but I think they'll gain some very valuable things from it though. I would imagine the psychological aspect of being an umpire would be immense and any development/tips in that area would be huge. Might also be something as simple as preparation or physical aspects to help getting to right positions and shower like that

jvalles69

Thank flower they are finally getting some help!  But agree the AFL should be sponsoring this for sure the dirty money making pigs.