Main Menu

How The AFL Is Stealing Our Game

Started by thompsoon, June 14, 2014, 11:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thompsoon

Mailman the 2nd

State of Origin would have the same fate as International Rules, teams don't want their players getting injured when they can easily not play without consequences.

Runners are an issue that's getting fixed along with the goal reviews.

I don't know this isnt really whats hurting the competition at the moment.

BB67th

I think the article is a bit of an overreaction. The fixturing has been poor this season, but I doubt that will happen again.

Prices are the one thing that has been handled badly, but I expect there will be a bit of change here with the new CEO.

The game will evolve past this period of congestion footy, it always changes.

Ziplock

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 15, 2014, 03:03:00 PM
State of Origin would have the same fate as International Rules, teams don't want their players getting injured when they can easily not play without consequences.

They need to do what NRL does and make it that if players get named and refuse to play they get suspended.

It's harsh, but it's the only way that SOO can work really.

BB67th

Quote from: Ziplock on June 15, 2014, 04:06:03 PM

They need to do what NRL does and make it that if players get named and refuse to play they get suspended.

I think most players actually want to play Origin, while most don't care about International Rules. I think origin would be a huge success if it was brought back.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Ziplock on June 15, 2014, 04:06:03 PM

Plenty of clubs will just refuse having Origin matches in the first place then.

We already have a ton of big draw/special matches that are supposed to draw big or be blockbusters, much more than the NRL does.

Work on getting them to 100% before thinking about adding more

nrich102

They say that catching the train to the footy is expensive - I always thought it was free if you had footy tickets  :-X

Tbh, I dont think AFL SOO will work as well as it does in NRL, or rack up the hype. Each year it will just be Victoria, Victoria, Victoria, whereas in NRL there's actually a contest.

I don't have a problem with Footy in Canberra, but in Alice Springs... WTF?? Should be games in rural areas and cities without footy teams eg. Cairns, Darwin and Townsville. Also get rid of the NZ game. Maybe have the Pre Season games all in rural areas? Wouldn't quite work as well as during the season for weather, and the hype wouldn't be as much, but its something.

Ziplock

Quote from: nrich102 on June 22, 2014, 03:20:07 PM
They say that catching the train to the footy is expensive - I always thought it was free if you had footy tickets  :-X

Tbh, I dont think AFL SOO will work as well as it does in NRL, or rack up the hype. Each year it will just be Victoria, Victoria, Victoria, whereas in NRL there's actually a contest.

I don't have a problem with Footy in Canberra, but in Alice Springs... WTF?? Should be games in rural areas and cities without footy teams eg. Cairns, Darwin and Townsville. Also get rid of the NZ game. Maybe have the Pre Season games all in rural areas? Wouldn't quite work as well as during the season for weather, and the hype wouldn't be as much, but its something.

yeah, because the last 9 years in NRL have been distributed evenly between QL/  NSW.

I don't think SOO would be too one sided... you might need to split vic into vic metro and country though like in U18s

shaker

What shocked me was Pies V Bulldogs round 13 only 24000 or 28000 turned up that says there is big problem at Etihad because Pie fans always turn out in mass , premium ticket prices and outrageous food and drink prices must be blamed for that , the alarm bells are ringing for the AFL lets see what they do next season

nrich102

Quote from: Ziplock on June 23, 2014, 12:48:52 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on June 22, 2014, 03:20:07 PM

yeah, because the last 9 years in NRL have been distributed evenly between QL/  NSW.

I don't think SOO would be too one sided... you might need to split vic into vic metro and country though like in U18s
But there has been a contest. The sport is also really big in the 2 states who play it, unlike afl, where as I said in the other thread, you're the only person in town who likes gayfl