DAYLE GARLETT WALKS OUT ON HAWKS

Started by bennynam, March 25, 2014, 11:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

I was tempted to merge this thread with the one in the Hawks board but with the very thoughtful comments made her by salver I will leave it here for further comments.

Here is a link to the thread in Hawks board should you wish to go there:

http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,92406.0.html

FYI Salver11 have also copied your post into the Hawks thread as it is a very good response and summary

Danzac

Yep some people don't develop the mental tools to deal with playing AFL (or similar big life events), and it's usually because of crap parenting.

Can't fault Garlett from the outside because he gave it a crack, and Hawthorn tried their best as well.

My sister is a clinical psychologist, so I've been hearing about these "tool-less" people for years

GCSkiwi

Can't begin to imagine the pressure especially at that age... All the talent in the world doesn't stop you being an 18-19 year old guy who's is training his guts out whaile all your mates are partying up a storm in another state... I know what I was doing when I was 19 and I sure as heck wouldn't have had the necessary dedication to be a professional sportsman. Obviously there are those who can but unfortunately for Garlett the support network he needed just wasn't there - the club can only provide so much. Best of luck to him, can't have been an easy decision to come to - pressure of being a hawk vs pressure of being the guy that others think threw a golden opportunity down the gurgler.

shaker

I would say he is in for a shock when he gets an every day job on a lot less money and finds out it's not only training that you have to turn up on time for but must respect that it is his decision

tor01doc

Quote from: Danzac on March 26, 2014, 11:28:16 AM
Yep some people don't develop the mental tools to deal with playing AFL (or similar big life events), and it's usually because of crap parenting.

Can't fault Garlett from the outside because he gave it a crack, and Hawthorn tried their best as well.

My sister is a clinical psychologist, so I've been hearing about these "tool-less" people for years

She must be good - having you to practice on all those years!  :P

GCSkiwi

Quote from: tor01doc on March 26, 2014, 09:58:18 AM
A lot of thoughtful folk posting on this thread. I find it uplifting.

I often describe the inner thoughts people have as 'tearing thoughts' when they aren't positive.

I suspect he has tearing thoughts and just can't make them go away. Self doubt, low self esteem, etc are a blight on human beings.

Wish him all the best.

When I have my own personal nervous breakdown, I will start a thread here for all your considered opinions and advice. Will save me a lot in shrink fees.  ;)

Quote from: tor01doc on March 26, 2014, 12:24:48 PM
Quote from: Danzac on March 26, 2014, 11:28:16 AM

She must be good - having you to practice on all those years!  :P

Those considered opinions and advice might turn into reinforcemnt about what a terrible person you are doc!  ;)

Grufflez

Quote from: _wato on March 26, 2014, 12:04:57 AM
I honestly can't believe this.

Everybody's dream is to play AFL and they'd do anything to get there.. This bloke got there with a SECOND CHANCE yet isn't willing to put the hard yards in and do what it takes. I'd be absolutely stoked to even be around an AFL club let alone be on the senior list at the best team in the competition.

If only I was the son of a great footballer I would get there..

Nah, being a sportsman isn't everybody's dream mate.
Kid obviously has issues that trump sport...don't we all.

OMFG! I JUST HIT DOUBLE STARS WOOHOOOOOOOO

"You gotta get the stars first. Then when you get the stars, you get the power. Then when you get the power, you get the women"

Nails

FFS this kid was my smokey now I have to waste a trade on him.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Nails on March 27, 2014, 06:05:21 PM
FFS this kid was my smokey now I have to waste a trade on him.

not sure if serious...