Main Menu

Welcome To Our 2013 Draftees

Started by Mr.Craig, November 21, 2013, 10:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Billy Hartung

Dandenong Stingrays 24/1/95 177cm/72kg

Rookie Spotlight

Averaged 25.2 touches, 3.5 tackles, 4.4 marks and 12.9 handball receives in the TAC during 2013. Speed and endurance are his key attributes, having smashed the Combine beep test record with a 16.6 (his PB is 17.2). Offensively minded, Billy has kicked 26 goals in his 20 game TAC career. Bound For Glory news have likened his skill set to that of Dane Swan. His main weaknesses are the fact he is an entirely outside player and has some temperament issues when things aren't going his way or he receives close attention. He also needs to work on his kicking efficiency.

Dayle Garlett

Swan Districts 9/1/94 180cm/78kg

Rookie Spotlight

I don't think much needs to be said about Garlett. At Pick 38 the Hawks had nothing to lose really and to get a kid who was averaging 15.9 disposals and 5.9 marks in the WAFL seniors while also booting 48.25...he could be a potent threat alongside the likes of Breust and Rioli. Time will tell if drafting him was a mistake or a masterstroke but I'm certainly not disappointed we've taken a chance on him.

James Sicily

Western Jets 6/1/95 186cm/77kg

Bound For Glory Profile
Video Highlights

Making it three out of three midfielders for draft 2013, Sicily is another one who is more than happy to take the game on and hit the scoreboard (26.19 in 2013). He's a great contested mark and gets plenty of the ball, having averaged 19 disposals in the TAC this year. He sounds like your typical Hawthorn player - a good decision maker with an attacking mindset and the ability to play multiple positions. I think we've got a decent one here.

Conclusion: I think we've done pretty well for ourselves. I'm very disappointed we didn't take Dumont but hopefully that will be forgotten in time and Hartung will be a ripper. I know we needed a ruckman and Big Boy was a great pick up but it was difficult to see St Kilda use the picks they got for him to select who I view as absolute guns in Dunstan and Acres but I guess that's the way things go.

Ricochet

Watch Dayle tear games apart next year. Hawks are the perfect fit for him to keep him on the straight and narrow

JBs-Hawks

Apparently Sicily is very Fyfe like, thatd be sick :)

Nige

Hawks drafted quite well this year.

Hartung, Garlett and Sicily are great selections.

Fingers crossed Garlett repays the faith.

My Chumps

Didn't Garlett miss an interview with Hawhtorn before the draft? Can't believe they still took the punt on him.

Ricochet

Quote from: My Chumps on November 22, 2013, 01:37:29 PM
Didn't Garlett miss an interview with Hawhtorn before the draft? Can't believe they still took the punt on him.
Apparently it was in September but it was probably a tactical leak by the Hawks. Kid has too much talent to not be picked up

Mr.Craig

Dallas Willsmore

North Ballarat Rebels 29/5/95 191cm/82kg

Bound For Glory Profile

Highlights Video

Willsmore is a big kicking, strong marking medium forward who appears to have some similar qualities to that of Jack Gunston. He was a member of the AIS-AFL academy this year along with being co-captain of the Rebels. Dallas had some knee issues early in the year but still played 9 games in the TAC. He was used more up the field in 2013 and this is reflected by his increased disposal numbers but lower goal return (22 goals in 14 matches during 2012 and 9 from 9 in 2013). His best game was against the Stingrays were he amassed 28 disposals and 18 handball receives but his normal output is more around 10-19 touches. He need to work on his set shot because he can spray them sometimes. Some draft experts were predicting he'd be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round of the main draft so I think we've picked up a bargain.

Derick Wanganeen

Hawthorn 5/2/91 174cm/75kg

Wanganeen gets another chance on the list in what will be his fourth season at the club. I'm not sure what to make of this, as a forward I don't think he's proven he can be any better than a goal a game prospect and he doesn't appear to have the tank to go through the midfield. I hope Derick proves me wrong and steps up his game in 2014.

Zac Webster

Glenorchy 11/8/95 180cm/74kg

Bound For Glory Profile

Highlights Video

Another midfielder/forward!!? Tassie born Webster provides good run and carry through the middle and has a decent leap for someone his size. For the Mariners in the TAC he had 25 disposals, 10 handball receives and 7 marks against the Eastern Ranges back in May. It's hard to judge him from the very brief highlights video but Hawthorn obviously see some potential there for the future. Brother of St Kilda's Jimmy Webster.

Ben Ross

Werribee 21/9/88 179cm/76kg

Formerly of North Melbourne, Ross won the 2012 Liston Medal as the best player in the VFL. Injuries and attitude derailed his time in the AFL but it seems he has turned things around and will get an opportunity to show his wares at Box Hill. For Werribee in 2013 he often gathered 20+ disposals with his season high being 32 against Port Melbourne. At best he could provide some good link up through our midfield and take a bit of pressure off the likes of Mitchell and Sewell, or he might just help Box Hill win back to back.

Conclusion: An interesting collection of players. I'm especially excited about Willsmore but hopefully the others can provide some impact or at the very least depth. We also selected Kurt Heatherley and Shem Tatupu, you can check out my New Zealand thread for info on those guys. :)

Nige

Great get is Dallas Willsmore.

Zac Webster could be something too if given the chance I reckon.

Ricochet

They say, we say: Club-by-club verdicts on the 2013-14 Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-27/they-say-we-say-rookie-draft-verdicts

They say
'We were unable to fit Derick Wanganeen on the primary list, but we were always keen to get him back as a rookie. Dallas (Willsmore) is an AIS graduate from this year. He had a late start to the year, but he's 191cm, he's got excellent foot skills - he is a left-footer - he marks the ball really well and he has got really good endurance. We think hes got the ability to play a high half-forward role or as a key forward. Zac (Webster) had a really good year down in Tassie playing senior football. Hes versatile, hes got good speed and endurance, he tackles really well, and hes able to put a lot of pressure on in the forward half of the ground as well as going through the midfield. We have followed Ben (Ross) since he left North Melbourne. He won the Liston Medal last year, and then had a late start to this year, which showed up in his footy - he had a good back half of the year. We were keen to get a mature-age guy in who had some versatility, and hes certainly got that.' - recruiting manager Graham Wright.

We say
The Hawks have reason to be pleased with their haul in the national and rookie drafts, especially given their position at the back-end of the order. Last weeks draftees Billy Hartung, Dayle Garlett and James Sicily could all prove bargains, while in the rookie draft they have added a player on every line. Half-back Wanganeen should push to play senior football next year, having already spent three years on the Hawks rookie list, and Ross will add immediate midfield depth. Willsmore and Webster will take some time to develop, and are therefore likely to spend next season at Box Hill. New Zealander Shem Tatupu has just had surgery to fix a broken bone in his foot, meaning he wont be running until January. - Mark Macgugan