Rules Summit recommends relaxation of 50 metre for Interchange infringements

Started by Ringo, November 28, 2013, 05:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-28/afl-may-soften-interchange-penalty

Think this is one rule that should come in. A 50 metre infringement for a minor breach is a hefty penalty to pay. Agree that umpire though should have the option to invoke the 50 metres if he deems breach was deliberate rather than accidental.

Kellogscrunchynut

Good idea that rule is way too harsh, just leave it as a free kick.

Noz

Thought this was another bot thread  ::)

I don't think they should change it at all how is the umpire meant to say if its deliberate or accidental

Bench steward: Oh umpire it was an accident  ;)

Umpire: I believe you

Capper

Hopefully the umpires can count by then. In 2013 a couple were given as the ump couldnt count

Mailman the 2nd

Considering the amount of mistakes made per actual correct decisions I think a change has to be made.

I remember in 2012 for the swans there were like 2 game changing ones in a season

stew42

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on December 05, 2013, 11:07:39 PM
Considering the amount of mistakes made per actual correct decisions I think a change has to be made.

I remember in 2012 for the swans there were like 2 game changing ones in a season
Lucky it didn't affect us too badly ;)

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: stew42 on December 05, 2013, 11:08:44 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on December 05, 2013, 11:07:39 PM

Lucky it didn't affect us too badly ;)

Maybe it was 2011 i cant remember :P

Jroo

Quote from: Noz on November 29, 2013, 03:50:01 PM
Thought this was another bot thread  ::)

I don't think they should change it at all how is the umpire meant to say if its deliberate or accidental

Bench steward: Oh umpire it was an accident  ;)

Umpire: I believe you
Haha so did I.
This sounds reasonable, so I reckon they should introduce this rule.

Ziplock

mmm, how often do they occur?

like, make the first one a free kick, and the second one a 50m penalty.

Are there different rules if a team is already in possession of the ball? Like if team A has taken a mark, and team B infringes, then a free kick doesn't change anything in the game, so it's worth the chance by team B.

Mailman the 2nd

There are no differences atm based on where the ball is/ the situation, 50 metres every time

Ziplock

The issue with leaving it to the umpires discretion is the potential discrepancies that could arise...