Top end defenders

Started by Baggers2012, January 29, 2014, 07:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baggers2012

Am i an idiot for considering leaving out McVeigh, Mitchell, & Walker??? my thought is that McVeigh & Walker are both very much fully priced, there yet to prove they are capable of going better than there current average's. Im just starting to think there's a lot more value elsewhere.

The only issue with leaving all three out is that i run the risk of missing the mark with one or two of the defenders i go with instead. there's no doubts in my mind that all three will be at the VERY least top 10-12 defenders, but i cant see McVeigh or Walker improving on there average's that much, whereas in midfield i believe Cotchin, Fyfe and Sloane will all go 110+ at the same price.

Is it worth saving a bit of coin in the defence?

jfitty

Definitely not necessary to start with any of these guys, but I would recommend at least two of Mitchell, Walker, Bartel or McVeigh.

I also can't see any of them improving their average from last year, but they should at least match it (depending on where Walker plays).

There are definitely some excellent cheaper options though. I'm considering going with McVeigh and Mitchell, then having someone like Hanley or Grimes as D3.

Although I must say, I think the God's have given Mitchell, McVeigh and Bartel different bye rounds for a reason! By the start of round 1 they will most likely be my first three defenders.

quinny88

Finding value is certainly important but you still need the best guns in each position.
None of those guys need to do any more than they did last year. You pick them because you know you are going to get a premium score out of them every week. Same reason you pick Ablett and Pendles etc in the midfield.
Each line for me will have:
Mcveigh, Mitchell
Ablett, Pendles
Danger, Martin
Because I believe they will be the top scorers for their positions despite none of them being great value. I'll find value elsewhere

roti

The reason I am picking McVeigh and Mitchell is because it seems up for grabs who will finish in the top 10 defenders. You don't want to be picking guys as premo's and then having to trade them out, so it is always important to have at least some sureties there from the start. It's the reason I'm slightly uncomfortable with Hanley sitting in my team, he may not be there when my team is finished.  I think the better value is in the middle, if they get back into full form Beams will go 115+ plus, Murphy 110+ and Thomas 100+. Defenders always stuff you around so I'm going with quality back there this year

GoLions

It really depends who you have chosen to replace them. Also, I wouldn't consider Walker as one of the must haves. But I do think you must have (at least) one of Mitchell or McVeigh.

I'm currently starting Mitchell, Scotty T, Simpson, Swallow, and Suckling as my backline premos. Replacing one of them with McVeigh means having to drop another premium somewhere else which I would prefer not to do.

Ricochet

I'm with you Baggers2012. I'm not starting either because I can't see any improvement.
Both will be upgrade targets after, hopefully, a bad game or two

Baggers2012

Quote from: Ricochet on January 30, 2014, 10:41:24 AM
I'm with you Baggers2012. I'm not starting either because I can't see any improvement.

That's exactly right. Im pretty sure both will be below 500k at some stage during the season. The main reason im still considering McVeigh is due to his bye. Thompson, Simpson, Hurn & Suckling are my other premo defenders, all of which share the round 8 or 9 bye's, therefore the other defender must have the round 10 bye. I'm not sold on Hanley with his tough start, expecting him to cop plenty of attention, he also struggles against the better teams. Hibberd is the other one, but only one year with a 90+ average, super consistant though...decisions!

Mat0369

I think you can go without. I am looking at the defenders under 500k, the guys that really stand out in terms of price

Shannon Hurn - His last game he had the injury early int he first quarter so he is severely under priced

Swallow - Risky pick, but it also took his brother about this long to finally gain some consistency at the Roos. Low 400k and a mid that is is listed a defender, it is almost too good to pass up. The problem with him is his body.

Broadbent- low 400s like Swallow, averaged around 87 in the back end of the season, has the ability to score tons but also puts up a few clunkers. He is only 24 so he has some upside

Hansen - 393 k and 91 average from round 8 if you take out his two concussion games.

I would be watching all these guys closely in the pre-season, if they show good form like Hibberd did last year it would be tough to leave them out.  Since most of the defensive rookies that look like they worth having at this point are over 150k then you might have to look at saving the cash with the top guys now and try and pick some of these guys instead.

roti

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 30, 2014, 06:44:31 PM
I think you can go without. I am looking at the defenders under 500k, the guys that really stand out in terms of price

Shannon Hurn - His last game he had the injury early int he first quarter so he is severely under priced

Swallow - Risky pick, but it also took his brother about this long to finally gain some consistency at the Roos. Low 400k and a mid that is is listed a defender, it is almost too good to pass up. The problem with him is his body.

Broadbent- low 400s like Swallow, averaged around 87 in the back end of the season, has the ability to score tons but also puts up a few clunkers. He is only 24 so he has some upside

Hansen - 393 k and 91 average from round 8 if you take out his two concussion games.

I would be watching all these guys closely in the pre-season, if they show good form like Hibberd did last year it would be tough to leave them out.  Since most of the defensive rookies that look like they worth having at this point are over 150k then you might have to look at saving the cash with the top guys now and try and pick some of these guys instead.

Didn't realise he was a defender, looked promising at stages last year

Mat0369

Quote from: roti on January 30, 2014, 08:18:54 PM
Didn't realise he was a defender, looked promising at stages last year

He has picked up DPP which is a plus. He has always been a hit and miss guy, he will have a huge streak where he puts up ton after ton before stringing together a few shockers which bring his average down. He is one guy to look at how Port use him in the pre-season games, but I would take Hansen over him taking their prices into account.

ben_020285

Quote from: Ricochet on January 30, 2014, 10:41:24 AM

I agree with this. I think that the defence is the best place to not have those top end players. While I do think that both McVeigh and Mitchell will end up in my side, I don't think they are must haves to begin the year with.

In the midfield all the good teams will start with GAJ and Pendles and the forward line will have both Danger and Dusty.

There are so many defenders who I think will average similar this year and many that I can see improving their averages to 100 or more. Thompson, Simpson, Hibberd, Hanley, Birchall, Hurn and even Grimes are the main ones. I just think that Mitchell, McVeigh, Bartel and Walker will not increase their averages and if anything, are at risk of decreasing their averages. 

Jackross10

I think you need.

2 of Mitchell Mcveigh Walker or Bartel.

1/2 of Grines/swallow/Simpson etc.

Suckling a lock aswell