Main Menu

Priority Pick?

Started by ossie85, September 10, 2013, 04:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB67th

I think the reason the AFL didn't give one out was because the Demons have had priority picks in the last few years and still haven't been able to recover. I don't know if that logic works or not, but that is what they seem to have based their decision on.

Ringo

Quote from: Ziplock on September 24, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
I would have given them an end of first round priority personally...
+ 1 Zip - If ever a team needed and deserved a priority pick it is Melbourne and as Oss said earlier if this is the case then precedent has been set and no club will get priority picks under the rule going forward.  Would have liked the AFL to grant so they did not paint themselves into the corner for the future. They have made the decision so have to live with it to the detriment of clubs building their lists in the future.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on September 23, 2013, 05:30:02 PM
Because pick 20 was going to prevent that? :P

1 good player can always make a difference to a club

Ziplock

Quote from: BB67th on September 24, 2013, 12:49:41 PM
I think the reason the AFL didn't give one out was because the Demons have had priority picks in the last few years and still haven't been able to recover. I don't know if that logic works or not, but that is what they seem to have based their decision on.

I feel like that's the reasoning too... although it's pretty poor reasoning.

Rusty00

Quote from: Ziplock on September 24, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

They also did get fined for tanking, which would then make it a bit facical if they were awarded a priority pick wouldn't it?

ossie85

Quote from: Rusty00 on September 25, 2013, 12:46:58 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on September 24, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

They also did get fined for tanking, which would then make it a bit facical if they were awarded a priority pick wouldn't it?

They got fined for bringing the game into disrepute technically (also a farce!)

The point is, they got punished. If that's the reason, it is adding another punishment on top of it, which I think is a bigger farce. Plus the fact that nobody at Melbourne that 'tanked' are there anymore, seems like cruel and unusual punishment to make the new administration, players and fans suffer for the sins of the father.

Big Mac

I think the reason they gave is that our list is better than it seems. Clark played 4 games this year, Dawes only played half the season, and we gave up picks 3 and 13 last year for Jesse Hogan. We also took Toumpas with pick 4 who didn't have much of a preseason because of a hip operation.