Main Menu

WXV Continental Cup

Started by ossie85, July 16, 2013, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Well, for 10 WXV teams, the competition closes in 3 weeks time. So what to do in the mean time?

The WXV Continental Cup!

AMERICAS: Buenos Aires, Mexico City, New York, Sao Paulo, Toronto

EUROPE: Berlin, Dublin, London, Moscow, PNL

AFRICA/OCEANIA: Cairo, Cape Town, Pacific, Wellington

ASIA: Beijing, New Delhi, Seoul, Tokyo

Floated this in discussion, and was correctly pointed out that some teams could have an advantage.

Is the competition fair and even? God no, but should provide a bit of fun as the Worlds best face off against each other.

.... of course if there is no interest, we will let the competition fold. Worth a try I think!

How does it work - the coaches of the Worlds team get together to decide how to select the best XV for the week. The highest ranked coach is captain, and gets the final say (if captain being unreasonable we'll look into that). This is an EIGHT week competition, everybody playing everybody home and away (with HGA inforce).

Round 1 (AFL Round 20)

Americas v Europe
Africa/Oceania v Asia

(Choose your XV from the 10 WXV teams not playing in World finals, 18 AFL teams)

(I realise that the Americas could be severely disadvantaged here - probably only New York, and if New York make the finals, they'll have no-one. Cross that bridge when we come to it. Coaches playing World Finals Do not get a say in how teams are selected officially).

Round 2 (AFL Round 21)

Americas v Asia
Africa/Oceania v Europe

(Choose your XV from the 14 WXV teams not playing in World finals, 18 AFL teams)

Round 3 (AFL Round 22)

Americas v Africa/Oceania
Asia v Europe

(Choose your XV from the 14 WXV teams not playing World finals, 18 AFL teams)

Round 4 (AFL Round 23)

Europe v Americas
Asia v Africa/Oceania

(Choose your XV from 16 WXV teams not playing finals, 18 AFL teams)

Round 5 (AFL Finals Week 1)

Asia v Americas
Europe v Africa/Oceania

(Choose your XV from 18 WXV teams, 8 AFL teams playing finals)

Round 6 (AFL Finals Week 2)

Africa/Oceania v Americas
Europe v Asia

(Choose your XII from 18 WXV teams, 4 AFL teams playing finals) <-- note 12 players not 15. 3D, 3M, 1R, 3F, 2I

Preliminary Final (AFL Finals Week 3)

2nd v 3rd

(Choose your XII from 18 WXV teams, 4 AFL teams playing finals) <-- note 12 players not 15. 3D, 3M, 1R, 3F, 2I

Grand Final (AFL Finals Week 4)

1st v winner of Prelim

(Choose from IX 18 WXV teams, 2 AFL teams playing finals) <-- note 9 players not 15. 2D, 2M, 1R, 2F, 2I

Holz

I have no problem with the groupings sure america looks strong now.

However Dillos and Suns are old  in a few years Europe im tipping will be the strongest group.

roo boys!

Asia is...bad :P

But will most likely beat Americas in the first round, probably only Seoul playing WXV finals and even that's not guaranteed at this stage.

JBs-Hawks

Let teams playing finals reserve sides be selected?

MajorLazer

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on July 16, 2013, 07:01:32 PM
Think this needs to be done for this comp to run well. Otherwise it gets really messy.

CrowsFan

Quote from: MajorLazer on July 16, 2013, 07:09:29 PM
Think this needs to be done for this comp to run well. Otherwise it gets really messy.
But there is the reserves finals as well  :-\

Nige

Tbh, I still haven't warmed to this idea.  :-X

ossie85

Quote from: MajorLazer on July 16, 2013, 07:09:29 PM

Honestly think it makes it messier... Have to wait for other teams to be named, and how much help will the reserve players be anyway?