Main Menu

Why We Support The Demons

Started by Purple 77, April 02, 2013, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

That's the thing, there is no reason why we support the demons, no modern one anyway. We support the demons because we had chosen them when we were young and/or before the 21st century, or maybe it was hereditary, or maybe we were pushed into supporting them long ago when we were "meh" about football, and as we became to love football, we became to love the demons.

Of course, not all cases are what is above, it is just in general.

But let's stop and really think why should we support the demons. The years leading up to 2006, well, you can't really complain.  Melbourne had made the finals in 1996, 1998, 2000 (where we featured in the grand final), 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006 (the best Victorian team for that year).

Then the inevitable slide happened, and I think we all accepted it. Melbourne finished with 5 wins and finished 14th in 2007. Although frustrated on the outside, deep down we accepted the downfall, as all clubs go through slumps. In the draft, we had picks 4, 14, 21, 53 and 66 which were used to select Cale Morton, Jack Grimes, Addam Maric, Kyle Cheney and Tom McNamara respectively. Of these draft picks, 2 are at another club, 2 are no longer at an AFL club and one is rightfully the current captain of the club. Ben McEvoy and Patrick Dangerfield were taken at Pick 9 and 10 respectively.

2008 marked an even lower year, which resulted in 3 wins and a wooden spoon. A horrible year; frustrated fans throughout the whole year and talks of tanking were there, but not taken all that seriously. In the draft, we had picks 1, 17, 19, 35, 51 and 64 and were used to draft Jack Watts, Sam Blease, James Strauss, Jamie Bennell, Neville Jetta and Rohan Bail respectively. Of these draft picks, 1 is at another club and the others are struggling to play a game. Luke Shuey, David Zaharakis, Jack Redden, Dayne Beams and Daniel Hannebery were taken at 18, 23, 25, 29 and 30 respectively.

2009 was just as bad. Melbourne fans were truly p***ed off by this point, and talks of tanking were rife, where the AFL denied even the thought of it existed. Coach sacking and another wooden spoon were all that was talked about when it came to melbourne, but the fans did feel that this was the last year of the slump, and although the year was retched, the thought of having the first 2 draft picks was very exciting. Hey, Brock McLean was even leaving for another high draft pick! In the draft, we had picks 1, 2, 11, 18, 34 and 50 and were used to draft Tom $cully, Jack Trengove, Jordan Gysberts, Luke Tapscott, Max Gawn and Jack Fitzpatrick. Of these draft picks, two, one famously, are at another club, one is a struggling captain of the club and 3 are struggling to play a game. Dustin Martin, Daniel Talia, Lewis Jetta, Nathan Fyfe, Ryan Bastinac, Mitch Duncan and Allen Christensen were taken at pick 3, 13, 14, 20, 21, 28 and 40 respectively.

2010 was exciting; Tom $cully and Jack Trengove hit the scene running and we were even in the top eight at one point. The year produced 8 wins and a draw that saw us finish a semi-competitive 12th. There was genuine excitement for the year to come and why shouldn't there be? Mark Jamar and James Frawley made the All-Australian team and Brad Green labelled unlucky not to be in it also. Entering the draft with an unfamiliar pick outside the top 10, our picks were 12, 33, 50 and 53 which were used to draft Lucas Cook, Jeremy Howe, Troy Davis and Tom McDonald. Of these four that were drafted, the top draft pick has been delisted, two have shown monumental promise and one is yet to debut. Billie Smedts, Shaun Atley and Jack Darling were taken at picks 15, 17 and 26 respectively.

2011 was a helluva rollercoaster, with 8 outstanding wins, a nail biting draw and the second worst thrashing in VFL/AFL history, which occured in Round 19. Prior to that round, Melbourne fans felt a better sort of frustration; due to consistency problems. But hey, the wins weren't bad at all, and they seemed to make up for the losses. Then came round 19. Geelong won by 186 points and the Melbourne football club has never been the same since. Funnily enough, I remember earlier that morning reading an article saying that Dean Bailey was close to renewing his contract, only to find a couple of days later that he had been sacked for a club shattering loss. Melbourne fans went into denial; I for one refused any memory of it for the weeks that followed. Often I would have a couple of friends "ask" me how melbourne did on the weekend, and I would say "Um, it was a bye round, no one played, idiot." For the 5 games that followed, we watched a sometimes dominant team have the confidence sucked out of them, only scraping a win over Gold Coast in round 23. But, at long last, the end of the season arrived, and a new coach appointed, Mark Neeld. For over the summer, we witnessed a total re-model of the coaching panel, an exciting chase for Mitch Clark and were told tales of how much the fitness of Melbourne had improved over the summer. Only three draft picks were had; 36, 52 and 54 which was used to take yet-to-debut Rory Taggert, struggling young defender Josh Tynan and recycled big man James Sellar.

Then, a pre-season from hell began.

Jim Stynes, who needs no background reminder, died from a long battle with cancer, the coach was falsely labelled a racist, a sponsor was sacked for being racist, then round 1 happened...

Instantly, I knew we were in for something truly special... a truly special torturous season. And that indeed was what happened. Fans were incredibly angry. Not another rebuild surely. We just suffered through 5 damn years of it. Not again. But unfortunately, that was indeed what was happening; another rebuild. But it was more of a rebuild of the rebuild, evident from the countless reports of what used to happen at Melbourne that was subtley deemed not at AFL standard by the new coaches. But, there was hope, because we were constantly being fed news that "We are setting the club up for sustained success," and "We are not looking for a quick fix." Then, thankfully, the end of Round 23 came and another wasted season was behind us. Supporters had gleeful looks in the months to come, hearing that Cale Morton has been traded and that Jack Viney would be taken at Pick 26. The rest, unfortunately, has caused great debate. 2011 B & F winner Brent Moloney, whom endured a shocking season under Mark Neeld, left through Free Agency, along with beloved defender Jared Rivers. Stefan Martin was traded away very cheaply, as was Jordan Gysberts. The acquirement of Chris Dawes, Shannon Byrnes, David Rodan and even Jesse Hogan drew nervous murmurings amongst the supporters; wondering what the hell the recruiting officers were aiming to do and why a star midfielder wasn't being attained. Nonetheless, with a third of the list turned over and the draft claiming Jimmy Toumpas (4), Jack Viney (26), Dean Kent (48), Matt Jones (52) and Dean Terlich (68), there was genuine cause for excitement over the preseason, with fantastic training reports that Melbourne were ready to run with the great teams, and the apparent growing confidence amongst the group.

Then, round 1 happened... and I don't have a bucket next to my laptop to throw up in so I best not get into that.

And during the summer of 2012/2013, we had the tanking investigations, and although we were officially proven not guilty of the act, we aren't "Blind Freddy" (looking at you Brock McLean) and know very damn well that's exactly what happened back then. What does this mean? This means that the Melbourne demons in at least the year of 2009, probably 2008 as well, took the $80 from us to foolishly be a member of the club and purposely lost. They gave us nothing. Worse than that, they spat in our faces, and still doing so since that culture has stained the playing group even today. Why should anyone support a club that does this? And yet people do (myself included), because we have foolishly committed our life to supporting them, whether we like it or not, we love our club. It's basically a curse.

So, with this background given to you, non-melbourne fan, I ask you to stop and put yourself in the shoes of a melbourne supporter during this time. Honestly, close your eyes and think. Think about being deprived of the simple things, like being able to say "how good was melbourne on the weekend?" knowing its not a rare performance and confident it will be backed up next week. Or not being able to go to school and have a good brag about how good your team is this year. I for one am going to go through my last year at high school, not once being able to say that, at any year of my attendance to the school.

The purpose of this rant and sad-case story, is to not try to come across as a mad and whinging melbourne supporter, or to get people replying with sympathy, but to try and provide a perspective of a melbourne supporter like myself, to those who don't support the demons and like to bag them out in front of them. Even when the Dees deserve it, like this week, people talking about how bad we are and have been hurts us right to the bones. There hasn't been an incident that sparked my doing this, of course not, it's just I want people to know how much it can suck at times, like this week.

/rant over

anchorman

Purple well written.Sometimes I don't think we pick out teams I am a believer that they pick us.
I hope you continue to follow them,though I know it i shard to swallow at times.
I am of the opinion that the Melbourne football club needs a real good clean out from top to bottom.From the President to the Lowest of low in the change rooms.
For far too long they have allowed the club to just amble along.They lack drive to get the club up and running.
How long will it be before the members or supporters say,enough is enough and leave in droves?The club has been hanging on by the skin of their teeth since the Jim Stynes revival effort.But how much longer can they resist the changes that must come.
I think the tanking situation is a prime example of how far out of touch the club is with reality.Whether or not it was tanking,why were Connlly and the coach,Dean Bailey, the only ones to take the brunt of what happened.How many were at the meeting where Connolly made the remark that he is said to make.where were there balls!!why didn't they all as one say "Hey that is not on"".Why didn't they tell Connolly to pull his head in!!
What your players dished up on the weekend was not acceptable by any standard.Is it the players, or is it the coach?It is too easy for people to say it is the coach.where are the players hearts!!Do they not value the jumper of the Melbourne football club!!Is the culture of the club that bad that some of the better players are leaving the club in droves!!Maybe the club need an investigation done on it by the AFL to see where the problem is.
Being an older guy who loves football,and a mad Docker supporter,we have been through it as well.Maybe not to the extent that Melbourne supporters have,but we have been there.But we had the AFL come here and bash us over the head with baseball bats and threaten the club with losing the licence.We were well and truly in debt,but we as a club fought and going from $8mill in the red,to being in the black after three years due to the hard work done by two people who are part of your club now,Chris Connolly and Cameron Schwab,plus Rick Hart.
I do not mean this to be slander on the Melbourne football club but what I see as a real assessment of where your club is at.I am not taking a cheap shot at you or your club,just my assessment of the situation.
I just admire people like you who stick with your club through so little thick and so much thin.
Keep cheering.

Purple 77

Thank you for the support anchorman :)

Yeah, we have a long way to go yet unfortunately, and I will be with them, there is no doubt about that  :)

Just need to rant every now and then lol

the flying hawk

Purple you are one of the most loyal melbourne supporters i know round one was a massive flower up but could it be a case that port were the better side on top of that. Not trying to stir anything here in my opinion melbourne had 7 debuants port a full side jack viney shined masdsive posotive but their forwards didn't function well i think dawes has to be that main man at full forward along side clark. in other good new you play essendon next week always a good week for melbourne when they play essondon ;)

Noz

I just want to know why you guys spent 500k a year on Dawes when you have Hogan waiting to play surely Hogan will play round 1 next year but why would you play Dawes, Clark and Hogan in the same forward line.

It still baffles me that youse haven't drafted a ruckman for quite some time.

Jamar will be 30 this year when he retires no youngsters have the capability of walking into that team and becoming their first choice ruck
Spencer is 23 years old with 16 games
Fitzpatrick 21 with 3 games
Gawn 21 with 4 games

You let arguably your best defender in Jarrad Rivers go to Geelong for basically an untried 14 gamer in Gillies.

Ringo

Know how you feel but things can improve.

I supported Brisbane from when they came into the AFL firstly as the Bad News Brisbane Bears and witnessed some very humiliating losses including one 227 point thrashing at Carrara (Do not think Melbourne have been that bad).

Stuck with them though and rode the success of the premierships, then through the Fevola recruiting debacle which coincided with a real decline and only just starting to recover now.

Melbournes recruiting strategy at times surprised me but you can not really predict how all the top draft picks will go some will go bang and others will fail.

Stick with the Team as you have some real exiting youngsters and some quality players but as Noz says Rucks are an area that requires attention.  Think you will stifle Clark if you use him as Ruck back up.

As I said in another post Neeld could really benefit from an experienced assistant coach as imo Brisbanes resurgence this year is partly due to Mark Harveys influence in coaching ranks filtering through.

Stick with them things will get better

ossie85

@Noz

Hogan will likely take a year or 2 to develop, and Clark seems injured all the time anyway. Plus Clark/Dawes provide that ruck flexibility.

And you're right, the Demons need a new ruckmen......

..... but that's easier said than done. They are hard to find!

Great article Purple, very well written, and accurate  reflection

T Dog

Nice pick up Ringo...

"As I said in another post Neeld could really benefit from an experienced assistant coach as imo Brisbanes resurgence this year is partly due to Mark Harveys influence in coaching ranks filtering through."

The never ending joke of a tanking saga really did no favours for the Dees coaching panel....they need to gel...quickly

bunyip

I think the problems start from the top (Admin) so thats where the solution starts from to. I don't know anything about Melbourne, (I don't know a hell of a lot about Geelong) but if history is any guide a strong President and CEO are vital to change a clubs fortunes.
They must find new sponsors, and get that cash flow going. Pour lots of money into the football department. Most, if not all of the "powerhouse" clubs of today were in a similar position years ago. Hawthorn and Melbourne were thinking of amalgamating, Collingwood, Geelong and Carlton were broke. We've all been through rough patches.
Melbourne's board now have to stand up and be counted, the buck stops with them, not the players.

MTTY

Noz

It was a great read Purple hopefully Melbourne fans will be rewarded sooner rather than later.
I think it was Dunstall who said this yesterday "it really doesn't matter if Melbourne win or loose against Essendon, as long as they put up a fight and start gaining consistency week after week, wins will follow after that"

I want to see Melbourne succeed as much as the next guy no one wants to see a team down the bottom for so many years.

Hopefully they can bounce back and show us what Melbourne are really capable of, Their is talent their and theirs no time like the present to prove to the rest of the AFL world that the Melbourne football club is not an embarrassment.

anchorman

Again this is not a knock on you Purple but I watched Fox 360 the other might and Gerard Whately  read out an article about the performance and comments from Jack Watts your number one draft pick from a few years back.He is reported to have siad when the crisis hit we don't have players like Selwood and he named a few more players of similar ilk.Whately looked directly down the camera and said Jack,that is you.You are that player.Jack that is you.How true Jack how true.
Also an article from Russell  Robertson lamenting the fact that Melbourne had to play on Easter Sunday.He works at the club,if this is the attitude being given from within the club then there is no hope for your club I am sorry Purple.The whole article read of "Oh woe is us.It really was a pathetic read.
The club has to be cleaned out from top to bottom.I think McLardy rode in on the back of the Stynes revival,but has offered nothing since.
I hope for the sake of supporters like yourself that the club get their act together very very soon or it could be a case of relocating somewhere or worse still fading into insignificance.
This was a once proud and strong club,those who have passed on must be turning in there graves at the situation.
All I can say is hang in there Purple and hope for the best. 

Purple 77

Quote from: anchorman on April 04, 2013, 11:39:40 AM
Again this is not a knock on you Purple but I watched Fox 360 the other might and Gerard Whately  read out an article about the performance and comments from Jack Watts your number one draft pick from a few years back.He is reported to have siad when the crisis hit we don't have players like Selwood and he named a few more players of similar ilk.Whately looked directly down the camera and said Jack,that is you.You are that player.Jack that is you.How true Jack how true.
Also an article from Russell  Robertson lamenting the fact that Melbourne had to play on Easter Sunday.He works at the club,if this is the attitude being given from within the club then there is no hope for your club I am sorry Purple.The whole article read of "Oh woe is us.It really was a pathetic read.
The club has to be cleaned out from top to bottom.I think McLardy rode in on the back of the Stynes revival,but has offered nothing since.
I hope for the sake of supporters like yourself that the club get their act together very very soon or it could be a case of relocating somewhere or worse still fading into insignificance.
This was a once proud and strong club,those who have passed on must be turning in there graves at the situation.
All I can say is hang in there Purple and hope for the best.

No apologies needed mate! Not saying you're wrong either