Main Menu

Cheap ruckline

Started by Jroo, February 23, 2013, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

Has anyone been considering a ruckline of:
Leuneberger, Gorringe/O'hAilpin - (Witts/Grundy, Daw/Currie)
You don't spend much money at and if one of Gorringe/O'hAilpin/Witts/Grundy/Daw/Currie have a good start to the year and make a lot of quick cash like Giles last year, this strategy should be successful, as you will have mre guns in other postions of the ground. Another option is having Cox up forward and than Sam Rowo/Liam McBean or another R/F on your bench on your ruckline and if you really need to, you could put Cox in the ruck,.

Mykonos FC

You'd have to have a gun R/F in the forwards to even consider this tactic.

Football Factory

i have thought about it .. see how nab goes and round 1 teams and you never know i might give it a shot ?

browncow1

I've messed around with a similar idea. Had a ruck division of

Luenberger Gorringe O'hAilpin Currie
with Cox in the fwds, and Macaffer as my F7.

My idea depended on Gorringe and O'hAilpin getting regular games, as not many fwd rookies have yet jumped out and impressed.
Switch Cox into the rucks for O'hAilpin.
O'hAilpin onto the fwd bench, and Macaffer onto the field.

Of course if a viable fwd rookie presents themselves soon, or Gorringe or O'hAilpin don't get regular games the idea would be shot.

Andrew

Quote from: browncow1 on February 23, 2013, 06:40:57 PM

My idea depended on Gorringe and O'hAilpin getting regular games, as not many fwd rookies have yet jumped out and impressed.

Of course if a viable fwd rookie presents themselves soon, or Gorringe or O'hAilpin don't get regular games the idea would be shot.

As great as it will feel to not have a premo in the ruck line, once the season starts you'll find yourself swapping Cox into the rucks most weeks, making O'Halpin your F7. Can't imagine O'Halpin being worth a shot in the forward line at his price so may as well start Cox in the ruck and find a forward rookie.

tbagrocks

No to Gorringe at R2 but team mate Smith?

A Smith and Burger duo :o

Smith was impressive but would still need to be upgraded

Thing is you could pick Smith and trade to the better performing ruck later on, this is possible becuase of 30 trades

madcrows

Don't cheap out on 1 st ruck

timmyparso

definately a high risk move that could work well or destroy your season.

At minimum have Cox waiting in forwards as cover and possibly Roughy. Leuy has yet to prove he is 100% but we are all expecting he will be.

Setanta looked like a complete Spud in NAB round 1 (may be underdone though), Gorringe the better of the 2.

Before locking in a cheap ruck line you need to compare what you gain from Leuy/Gorringe vs Cox/Leuy and how it impacts your scoring potential on your other playing lines.

I've looked and this an been tempted many times but it ended up comparing Gorringe's ($129K) score potential with McCaffer ($132K) as Gorringe move to R2 would always push McCaffer to F7 (a non-scoring position) and I believe the McCaffer will easily outscore Gorringe. However that is just how it impacted my team an you may have a different team structure.

GM

The rucks are one place i try to set & forget.
Going 2 cheap rucks is asking for trouble with low scores and wasted trades imo.
Berger makes this interesting as his price you can't ignore if he produces his best.
He is still to prove he can at least start tis year and contribute well.
R1 is critical imo to find that reliable player that scores well and plays 20-22 games.

owenbond007

I got 4 rucks atm cox roughie up forward and mcevoy/mummy are fighting it out for R1 with the berger locked into R2. I'll move my R1 on early bringing in a fallen buddy/chappy/SJ (prob struggle seeing as you have to wait a week).

Picking 4 cheap ruck doesnt make much sense when there JS and scoring potential isn't great. Why wouldnt you start with a gun ruck and play a gun rookie in the mids who will outscore easily 20+ with a damn sight better JS.

Hagebear

Quote from: browncow1 on February 23, 2013, 06:40:57 PM

^^^ This! The problem this year is the rookie rucks have terrible JS. Last year we were lucky with Giles, Redden and Stephenson who were all going to play large amounts of games whereas there aren't those options this year, the other risk is even with the 44 trades if u get an injury to one of ur cheap rucks it doesn't leave u with much to choose from as a replacement.

mezzoculo

Quote from: Hagebear on March 04, 2013, 08:43:17 PM
The problem this year is the rookie rucks have terrible JS. Last year we were lucky with Giles, Redden and Stephenson who were all going to play large amounts of games whereas there aren't those options this year, the other risk is even with the 44 trades if u get an injury to one of ur cheap rucks it doesn't leave u with much to choose from as a replacement.
Redden played NINE games in 2012 and Big O only EIGHT. That's not many games and there's no reason that Gorringe, Setanta or Currie could get AT LEAST that many games. Witts and Rowe COULD get eight games, but the remainder are pretty speculative.

Hagebear

Quote from: mezzoculo on March 05, 2013, 10:48:07 PM
Quote from: Hagebear on March 04, 2013, 08:43:17 PM
The problem this year is the rookie rucks have terrible JS. Last year we were lucky with Giles, Redden and Stephenson who were all going to play large amounts of games whereas there aren't those options this year, the other risk is even with the 44 trades if u get an injury to one of ur cheap rucks it doesn't leave u with much to choose from as a replacement.
Redden played NINE games in 2012 and Big O only EIGHT. That's not many games and there's no reason that Gorringe, Setanta or Currie could get AT LEAST that many games. Witts and Rowe COULD get eight games, but the remainder are pretty speculative.

You are correct. Although at the start of they year they were virtually locked in to play early whereas that doesn't exist this year. It is very unlikely any (maybe Currie) of the rookie rucks will start in round 1.

mezzoculo

Quote from: Hagebear on March 06, 2013, 01:31:50 AM
Quote from: mezzoculo on March 05, 2013, 10:48:07 PM

You are correct. Although at the start of they year they were virtually locked in to play early whereas that doesn't exist this year. It is very unlikely any (maybe Currie) of the rookie rucks will start in round 1.

Setanta and Gorringe are as good a chance as any rookie to be there in round 1.