Forwards vs Defence

Started by GCSkiwi, February 27, 2013, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCSkiwi

Hi coaches

This might as well be in rate my supercoach, but effectively I'm tossing up between 2 lines of F1-4 and D1-4. I was planning on going no Buddy into the season as I think he will drop. But equally my current line up has a rather weak defence. So anyway, select a line up:

Option a)
Def: Goddard, Gibbs, Birchall, rookie, rookie, rookie
Fwd: Cox, Walker, Chappy, Rockliff, Varcoe, Macaffer
this is my current line up, can afford any of the top forwards at F2 but can't decide who is the best choice.

Option b)
Def: Goddard, Gibbs, Birchall, Duffield, rookie, rookie
Fwd: Buddy, Cox, Rockliff, Varcoe, Macaffer, rookie (probably Daniher)

Not a poll as I would like comments from people. There are heaps of options around this as well but this is the main set I'm considering. Also toying with the idea of going option two but going Buddy + Varcoe > 2 mid pricers (Robinson, Christensen, Le Cras... options options options).

Thoughts much appreciated

tor01doc

I think the better rookie options are in defence.

Forward rookies and top liners are harder to find, which makes me wonder why Buddy is not in every team. He'll drop, they say. Why? How much? Will he still be top 6 come end of year?

Just get him.

Scoring potential of Cox (no NicNat), Buddy plus Walker and another gun like Rocky / Zorko is pretty impressive compared to 4 top backmen.

Peter

GCSkiwi

Quote from: tor01doc on February 27, 2013, 09:41:41 PM

Agree, but does that mean you would go three rookie defenders and none in the forwards (well, Macaffer), or two in the defence and one in the forwards?

Effectively, Duffield and Buddy + rook F6 vs Chapman and Walker + rook D4?

GCSkiwi

Speak up guys, there isn't a right or wrong answer, just looking for opinions... 385 views for one reply...  :-\

Keeper27

i agree with this.
most DEF premos will score 90+, lets say DEF rooks score 70. only a 20ish point gap.

fwd premos (including the R/F DPP) avg is 100+ and fwd rooks score lets say 70. thats 30ish point gap.

Forward rookies and top liners are harder to find, which makes me wonder why Buddy is not in every team. He'll drop, they say. Why? How much? Will he still be top 6 come end of year?

no doubt he'll end up in my team, i just feel that i'll go better starting without him.
fits my structure better without him.

Sabretooth Tigers

There appears to be very little around in viable rookie priced forwards that doesn't entail risk both point wise and financially. The lower priced options would appear to be   J Neade, T Lee, B Maccaffer, B Staker( when fit), J Daniher and then as you pass over the 200k mark an array of players coming back from injury. My go is to set up a forward line that's strong enough to leave alone til upgrade time, and start the defence with Goddard and Gibbs then fill the rest with options that will play and make money. currently my DEF is
B Goddard   B Gibbs   S Wright   B Jacobs   L Brown   J Pittard   RRES   D Terlich   S Docherty
A lot will depend on rookie selection in round !.

Southstorm

It's going to be pretty touch and go until teams are named for round one. Unless four rookie defenders are named, I'm not going to go with a 3 prem + 3 rookie defence. I'd rather have one less forward premium if it means donut insurance every week.