Has anyone thought of this? Leon Davis?

Started by AndreDrummond, February 23, 2013, 05:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndreDrummond

Remember what Mick Malthouse did when he sent Leon to run around the back line and rack up disposals? Turned Leon into an AA in 2011 because of it! Now who else agrees Mick will also get the very best out of Yarran just like Leon? They share some very similar football attributes. Thoughts on this?

Mykonos FC

Collingwood is a much better team than Carlton though when he made that Davis move - I see your point but I don't reckon Yarran will end up in the top 12 or so defenders so a no for me.

AndreDrummond

I beg to differ, talk to me in twelve months and we will rediscuss, will be AA this year  ;)

dmac07

Davis had been AA and averaged over 100 in SC before the move to the backline as well. Yarran has not been close to that. I think he will improve, but 90-95 at most. Which could still be an ok D6. I would think more likely 85-90 range though.

Mykonos FC

No but Collingwood was already a very good team the year the made the Davis switch. I think they finished first in 2010 and made in 2011 made the Davis switch.
Carlton didn't make finals last year... And finished 10th.

jimmyh

Does SC take into account the influence of direct opponents? Always wondered but have never known...

meow meow

Quote from: jimmyh on February 23, 2013, 06:22:25 PM
Does SC take into account the influence of direct opponents? Always wondered but have never known...

No.

Quote from: AndreDrummond on February 23, 2013, 05:42:51 PM
Remember what Mick Malthouse did when he sent Leon to run around the back line and rack up disposals? Turned Leon into an AA in 2011 because of it! Now who else agrees Mick will also get the very best out of Yarran just like Leon? They share some very similar football attributes. Thoughts on this?

Leon was almost unbeatable in a one on one contest when he played in the backline. Yarran can be exposed in one on ones and he scores from loose rebounds. Leon got his share of loose ball too, but had more strings to his bow than Yarran currently does. Leon had only Shaw to compete with for the rebounds, Yarran has Gibbs, Scotland and Tuohy so more competition for the cheap kicks across half back.

AFL Babble

Why are we talking about Yarran as though he has not been playing that role already..?

ubeaut

Quote from: AFL Babble on February 23, 2013, 08:48:40 PM
Why are we talking about Yarran as though he has not been playing that role already..?
I guess it's because he now has the same coach that turned Leon Davis from a forward to a back. Like Meow said Yarran is nowhere near as good at being accountable or winning one on ones. I have Yarran but only cos he's cheap, can score well and only has to shake a tag to score better really. Leon was a class above.

ubeaut

PS I'm sure heaps of us thought of this when Mick took over. Also the high possesion-boundary style could help Yarran. As someone else said it will be interesting how he goes in a Malthouse backline that is expected to be accountable.