2013 Player Profiles: Clinton Young

Started by Cicjose, September 10, 2012, 05:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jalapeno

Hi guys.... was going to start a thread about this guy but then i found this :)

Is he a worth a look now he is at the pies? Could he improve to a 100 average??

elephants

Mmmm, I don't think so. Reckon there are better midfield midpricers with the potential to score more and/or make more money than Young.

Jalapeno

Quote from: elephants on February 14, 2013, 12:22:13 AM
Mmmm, I don't think so. Reckon there are better midfield midpricers with the potential to score more and/or make more money than Young.

Sorry to bug ya LE... What role do you think he will play at the pies? Given they are not going to hug the boundries this season and have said they are going to use "bullet like" passing through the middle do you not think this would mean young is there goto man? Best kick in the comp or close to it in my opinion

Mr.Craig

Averaged 18 disposals per game last year. He'd need to push that to 23-25 to be worthwhile.

Can't see it happening.

Scrads

For starters, saying Young is the best kick in the comp is a horrific overstatement. He actually quite often struggles hitting targets at a distance of less than 35m.

What Young DOES have is a LONG kick (I am talking 60m) and also the ability to run, making him a player who can run 15m, bang the ball long and there you go the ball has changed ends of the ground. These kicks rarely require pinpoint accuracy as the objective of them is to get the ball as far forward as possible, it will rarely be for a player on the lead. He is an elite player in terms of metres gained but in short pass efficiency, Young is way off the pace.

The thing about his DT prospects IMO is IF he manages to get scores which are worthy of a midfield spot in DT, it means he will be playing super and will be very effective in terms of metres gained for Collingwood and should really be playing so well that he will begin to be cracked down on by other teams for being so dangerous and they will start using taggers on him a lot and subsequently, his scores will plummet IMO.

elephants

Quote from: Jalapeno on February 14, 2013, 12:26:47 AM
Quote from: elephants on February 14, 2013, 12:22:13 AM

Sorry to bug ya LE... What role do you think he will play at the pies? Given they are not going to hug the boundries this season and have said they are going to use "bullet like" passing through the middle do you not think this would mean young is there goto man? Best kick in the comp or close to it in my opinion

No worries man, I reckon he has a wing locked down at the Pies and he showed last night he can be pretty productive out there.
I'm not sure they would actively seek him out. Swan, Pendles, Beams, Sidey, Ball are all pretty good kicks so I dont thin they would need to go-to Clinton excessively.
Repeating what Scrads said, I wouldn't class him as one of the best kicks in the AFL. Hurn and Suckers are in a class of their own (yes, there are others with lethal boots too but they are the first that come to mind). He's a ling kick which could be good to break the lines but the Pies mids are all solid themselves I reckon.

Overall, I wouldn't pick him in DT. He is priced at an average of 81 which I feel is about right. Chances are he may lift his average to say 90-95 but even then I doubt he's worth a shot in your mids over Ball/Embers/Riska/Moloney/rookies... If Clint smashes some massive scores he can easily be shut down due to his lack of an inside game. I still feel like there are better options :)

Mr.Craig

It should also be pointed out that he's never played a full season.