Main Menu

Triple J hottest 100

Started by quinny88, January 24, 2014, 04:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nails

Quote from: Ziplock on January 29, 2014, 02:25:14 PM
Quote from: Nails on January 29, 2014, 01:26:09 PM
He talks about wide diverse local selections (I read it)

But he really only gives a flower about oz pub rock

QuoteBut, if you

classic fail ff quotes.

oh yeah, he does say he wants all genres shown, but then he clearly contradicts himself by slagging off on several genres, and expressly wants it to be iconic oz pub rock.
I did raise some good points, but read this article:

http://afterhourspeakeasy.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/triple-j-are-really-just-a-contempory-reimagined-record-store-triplej/

BB67th

I am stuck listening to the Fox most times I am in the car and it's killing me on the inside. Believe me that Triple J have not sold out, the music has just changed.

The guy in the article seems to just want to listen to Powderfinger,  Silverchair and Grinspoon all day, but there is more to Aussies music than pub rock.

Triple J definitely don't just play mainstream, go listen to the Fox for a week and you will see what I mean. Apparently you don't need lyrics to be on the radio now, you just need some showerty beat and a drop. The hottest 100 was a decent list his year, much better than what you hear on other stations.

Ziplock

Quote from: Nails on January 29, 2014, 09:24:38 PM

QuoteBut, if you

classic fail ff quotes.

oh yeah, he does say he wants all genres shown, but then he clearly contradicts himself by slagging off on several genres, and expressly wants it to be iconic oz pub rock.

http://afterhourspeakeasy.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/triple-j-are-really-just-a-contempory-reimagined-record-store-triplej/

I would really like to see some stats, but I have heard these concerns from a couple of sources, like your article points out nails. My issue with the article that valk posted was more an issue with the article itself, I think it was bitter and not objective enough.

I think your article nails is a lot better. He makes a really good point, one I wanted to make, but wasn't sure how to word it... albeit it, I did kind of touch on it when I mentioned the sizes of the countries... frankly, a lot of music from undiscovered artists is going to be, at best average... and a lot of the time, pretty shower, and unappealing to a wider audience. And as he says, who's going to listen to the station if that's the case. I mean, it becomes an argument, do you try to get out two dozen new bands a week to an audience of 1.75 million listeners, who you draw in with music that they already find appealing, or do you try to get out two hundred bands a week, but to a demographic of only 80 000 country wide?

Nails

Quote from: Ziplock on January 29, 2014, 09:43:43 PM
Quote from: Nails on January 29, 2014, 09:24:38 PM

QuoteBut, if you

classic fail ff quotes.

I would really like to see some stats, but I have heard these concerns from a couple of sources, like your article points out nails. My issue with the article that valk posted was more an issue with the article itself, I think it was bitter and not objective enough.

I think your article nails is a lot better. He makes a really good point, one I wanted to make, but wasn't sure how to word it... albeit it, I did kind of touch on it when I mentioned the sizes of the countries... frankly, a lot of music from undiscovered artists is going to be, at best average... and a lot of the time, pretty shower, and unappealing to a wider audience. And as he says, who's going to listen to the station if that's the case. I mean, it becomes an argument, do you try to get out two dozen new bands a week to an audience of 1.75 million listeners, who you draw in with music that they already find appealing, or do you try to get out two hundred bands a week, but to a demographic of only 80 000 country wide?

In my post that got flowered up but quote fails I actually mentioned country sizes ::)

quinny88

Sounds like too many old timers had their sh1tty garage band knocked back from air time on triple J and will forever hold a grudge ::)

Recognise that music changes over time and get over it!
Calling triple j sell outs is absolute BS. Tell me one song that was played on another commercial station before it was played on triple J? Selling out is playing popular music from other stations. How can they be called sell outs for playing new artists that then become regulars on Nova and the Fox etc. those stations catch wind of these musicians/bands from hearing them take off on triple J

Ramus

Quote from: upthemaidens on January 29, 2014, 04:31:54 PM
    Lots of talk about "pub rock",, im sorry is it 1978?   Triple J will/do play a more varied range of music genres than any other mainstream radio station.  If there was any actual decent "Pub Rock" music being made, they would play it.  But there isnt, why? because thats not popular at the moment.  Its the general public that drive the market, not the bands,record labels or radio stations.

I like Cold chisel, the Oils, Acdc etc. etc.  but if I want to hear my record collection, I will play my record collection.  I listen to radio stations to hear majority of newer music, not the same crap that I already own and have heard 100 times..

If you dont like what a radio station plays, then (wait for it)...  dont listen to it... :P

Hear hear mate ;D ;D

Love the TOOL avatar too! ;)