First timer team, feedback please

Started by Omz1990, March 16, 2015, 11:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omz1990

Hey guys, first time playing supercoach and was hoping for some feedback on my team. Any advice is helpful.

Backs: Malceski, Simpson, Shaw, Whitcross, Goddard, Wigg (Viojo-rainbow, Mackenzie).
Mids: Ablett, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Treloar, Rich, Van Berlo, Anderson, Heeney (Vandenberg, Freeman, Saad).
Rucks: Natanui, Leuenberger (Cox).
Forwards: Goddard, Martin, Bennell, Swan, Clark, Karnezis (Hogan, Daniel).
$360k in the bank. Really appreciate any input, thanks.

barlowlove

Pretty good first effort mate, that side will be competitive in most leagues

Main problem here is that your defence is too weak, you will be copping zeroes there all season, so use the money you have in the bank to sure that up a bit

Omz1990

Thanks mate, defense seems a tough one since most of the higher scorers look as though their games will be managed/reduced or are injured. Might go for Hurn,any suggestions?

BomberSam

There is better value on offer down back than Malceski and Simpson. I have Hurn in D2 at the moment if that gives you any confidence. Not a lock yet though.

Consider Hibberd and Harry Taylor also.

Midfield could do with a little bit of strengthening. I like Treloar for a POD if you aren't phased by his competition in the GWS midfield: Griffen, Ward, Shiel and Greene to name a few. Perhaps go one forward less, maybe downgrading Bennell to a rookie or mid-pricer. So much value down there this season, nice crop of rookies to choose from. Make the most of this by loading at least 5 premos into the midfield to get an early jump. Consider underpriced picks Griffen and Andrew Swallow. Upgrade Rich to a premo, you are already half way there.

To be honest mate, I can't see Whitecross, Wigg, Viojo-Rainbow or Mackenzie playing round 1. Needs work. Consider Adam Oxley, Nathan Brown and Adam Saad as rookies.

Really though, for a first try, not bad at all! If I can help in any way, just let me know. 

Omz1990

Thanks BomberSam, went Treloar mainly as a unique but Griffen does give some good value in what will be a stacked midfield this year and Deledio for Rich. Forgot about Brown who is super cheap but are KPD worth it in this with Harry Taylor? Would Higgins be worth a shot instead?

barlowlove

The SC scoring system means that some KPD's are worth it if they:
-Take intercept marks
-Are effective and penetrating kicks
-Get posessions from their team chipping it around the backline

Taylor fits most of this and therefore is a solid pick, although he won't set the world alight

Ringo

First thing to notice is that you have $360k left.  This is too much cash to have sitting there.  Should aim to keep 50/75k for rookie adjustment.

defence is probably your weakest line and imo Malceski is overpriced. Would look at downgrading Malceski to Hibberd, Taylor or Birchall.  Then I would look at upgrading Wigg to a mid price defender Geary, Yarran, Sheppard, Yeo and Clancee Pearce all sound options.

Rich also imo is at an awkward price I would also look at downgrading him to Newton who I tyhink will make you more money than Rich.

If you still have some cash available I would also try and bring Bellchambers into forward line to provide extra cover in case of Ruck injury.

Need then to ensure all rookies are playing round 1.

Solid start for first attempt at SC but can make improvements with tweaking.

BomberSam

Quote from: Omz1990 on March 16, 2015, 04:08:33 PM
Thanks BomberSam, went Treloar mainly as a unique but Griffen does give some good value in what will be a stacked midfield this year and Deledio for Rich. Forgot about Brown who is super cheap but are KPD worth it in this with Harry Taylor? Would Higgins be worth a shot instead?

I am predicting Griffen to be GWS number one midfielder, and number one SC scoring midfielder, yet he is priced below Ward, Treloar and Greene. Would be interesting to see what percentage of teams have him, must be a lot.

If you are going to pick Deledio, get him in the forward line. Midfield spots are precious, this is why mid eligible forwards and defenders are so important.

Any KPP is usually a risk. If he can find some consistent SC form, Taylor offers good value, still unsure whether I will pick him yet though. Medium risk, high reward in my opinion. Higgins is a classic burn man, but many coaches seem to be tempted this pre-season. Very risky, but could pay off.

Omz1990

Thanks for all the advice guys, changed the team around now based on some of the advice given. So here is the update team.
Backs: Shaw, Hibbert,  Hurn, Lumumba, Geary, Brown (Goddard, Saad).
Mids: Ablett, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Griffen, Deledio, Van Berlo, Anderson, Heeney (Vandenberg,  Cockatoo, Freeman).
Rucks: Natanui, Bellchambers (Cox).
Forwards: Goddard, D Martin, Swan, Clark, J Martin, Karnezis (Krakouer, Hogan).