Any advice for the sloth?

Started by Tyes, January 17, 2013, 10:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyes

TEAM NAME: Slender Sloth
DEF: B. Goddard, B. Gibbs, P. Duffield, J. Pittard, B. Staker, J. Thurlow (S. Colquhoun, D. Terlich)
MID: D. Swan, G. Ablett jnr, S. Pendlebury, J. Redden, M. Murphy, B. Goodes, B. Crouch, J. O'Meara (B. Kennedy, J. Viney)
RUC: C. Pedersen, M. Leuenberger (M. Daw, B. Grundy)
FWD: D. Cox, T. Rockliff, D. Martin, G. Broughton, C. Sylvia, C. Knights (B. Macaffer, M. McDonough)
CASH LEFT: $187,100

I like the structure of the backline, personally no mid-pricers are screaming "pick me!" at the moment and it allows me to stack my Mids. Like a lot of people I think Duff will maintain an average of 90-95+ which make him underpriced and Goddard and Gibbs are just givens. I like Stakers chance of playing round 1, plus I don't see him as much of a vest candidate, plus his DPP with Broughton is more than handy. Thurlow looks like he should play round 1, but I am wary of the vest. Pittard I personally don't know a lot about, but most people seem very keen on him and rate him a real chance of being in Ports best 21. I would not be surprised if Trelich also lines up for round 1, mature and ready and Neeld apparently loves his skills. Colquhorn is there mainly for DPP with Goodes, but he is a chance of playing early.

Mids pick themselves really, Swan and Gaj are no brainers, Pendles, Murph and Redden are all underpriced and should average above 110+. Rooks are standard, Kennedy and Goodes are there for the DPP link.

At a shallow glance it may appear I am rolling the dice starting Pedo in the rucks, but I believe he is good for a 75+ average in the rucks and in the Dees best 21. Leu should also average 75+. My theory is to use these two as stepping stones to the two top scoring rucks once they emerge (or even keep one if they average 90+..fingers crossed ;D). I constantly seem to pick the wrong premo ruck at the start of each year, so this year I have opted for none!  ::) Rather I shall wait until they appear. Pedo also has the ability to be swapped  to the back line if I cull a cash cow back there.

Up until today I had Daisy in, but I swapped him out for Cox, I like the extra cover he gives my rucks, and if indeed Nicnat misses the start of the season he could go big, however I am open to any other possible replacements. I put Dusty in over Wright just because I have a gut feeling about him, I really like the fact Williams is looking after him now. Broughton and Sylvia are both fraught with risk, but I feel they will both average over 90+. Broughton can also be swapped to the backs if he maintains a high enough average to be a keeper in the backs but not the forwards. Knights is standard and I have heard good raps on McDonough. But in all honesty I have no idea who to pick as my Fwd rooks, I am sure a few will scream pick me during the Nab.

Sorry for the rant  :D any advise/criticism is indeed welcome :)

Mr.Craig

I wish more coaches took the time to spell out their thoughts on picking specific players so well done on that. :)

If you are serious about that ruck combo I'd suggest having a DPP R/F as your R4 because I think you might need to use Cox on occasions. Speaking of DPP, I don't like the chances of Goodes or Kennedy playing early in the season so you may need to reassess those picks at some point in the future. I like McDonough too but Lee, Membrey and Neade are amongst the rookies that potentially have better JS potential.

I think that's a little too much money to carry into the season. Martin, Broughton and Sylvia all have their own risks and combined together in the same team it becomes a little scary. My advice would be to pick one of them to turn into Bartel or Lewis for nice safe, solid scoring. Alternatively Robinson or Stevie J could provide you with those big league match winning performances if you want someone more flashy. You'd still have enough money left over to have a reasonable amount of flexibility.

Windigo

100 % agree with what Mr Craig said.

All 3 danger picks in the fwd line...That's just asking for trouble.  :P

Tyes

Thanks guys! 

I agree if Goodes and Kennedy don't play round 1 I will most likely give them the flick and get on some playing rooks, I was under the impression that Goodes was a good chance of playing round 1? Or have I assumed the dogs have a spare spot on there senior list to upgrade a rookie?
I shall look into a R4 with DPP to the fwd line for extra security. I guess either Rowe or Sinclair are the only viable options.
Out of the three danger picks in the fwd line which one would you guys say has the least amount of upside as opposed to downside?

Mr.Craig

I think Sylvia has the most upside and the most downside. Maybe upgrade him and if it turns out he does kill it then you could always sideways trade Broughton to him.

As for Goodes, I think the rules now are that teams can have a maximum 40 players on their main list but there's no minimum, so they could for instance have 38 main list players and 6 rookies. I could be wrong about that and I've contacted the AFL regarding the rookie elevation rules for 2013 but I'm not expecting to hear back from them until early next week.

Tyes

Had a bit of a fiddle around and took in the advice about the R4 and the fwds. I must say the fwd line does look a lot more reliable now. I'll wait until round one to see if Goodes is named.

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Gibbs, P. Duffield, J. Pittard, B. Staker, J. Thurlow (S. Colquhoun, D. Terlich)
MID: D. Swan, G. Ablett jnr, S. Pendlebury, J. Redden, M. Murphy, B. Goodes, B. Crouch, J. O'Meara (B. Kennedy, J. Viney)
RUC: C. Pedersen, M. Leuenberger (B. Grundy, C. Sinclair)
FWD: D. Cox, S. Johnson, T. Rockliff, D. Martin, G. Broughton, C. Knights (B. Macaffer, T. Lee)
CASH LEFT: $75,900

Thanks for the info Mr.Craig, I guess we shall just have to wait and see if Goodes gets elevated.

Mr.Craig

Yeah, that looks better I think. :)