2012 Games: 14

2012 Ave: 75.7

Centuries: 2

Highs: 129 vs Brisbane, 115 vs Melbourne, 96 vs GWS

Lows: 13 vs Sydney, 41 vs Brisbane, 50 vs Essendon

FanPlanner Price: $402,100

Position: Midfield/Forward?

Thoughts
The 2008 Brownlow medallist has never been the same since his troublesome knee has limited his destructive game, at his peak he averaged 25.5 touches, 2.6 tackles, kicked 23 goals, averaging 107 SC points, including massive scores of 177, 169 and 144. Since then injuries have held Cooney back from consistently performing at his best, unfortunately his body, over the past two seasons in particular, have restricted him to playing just 13 and 14 games, and just 81 and 75 SC points respectively. Normally I wouldn’t have even thought about writing a profile on Cooney, but an article I read the other day (below) caught my eye. Cooney has undergone a revolutionary knee treatment called “Regenokine” also used by Kobe Bryant, which is technically explained in the article. By all reports Cooney is flying, according to teammate Robert Murphy he’s running on top of the ground, after starting his first pre season from day one since his injury problems. While this treatment is relatively unknown, it is a week by week situation in terms of how well it works, but at the moment Cooney is feeling as good as ever. He played a lot of his footy up forward last year, so I believe he should be a DPP, if so I thought it’d be worth doing a profile and getting some opinions. He still is 27 and you just never know what a full pre season can do for a player of Cooney’s elk.

Verdict
He is at an awkward price, if he does get DPP status, some might think about him, if he is flying in the NAB Cup he could average around the 90 mark if the reports are spot on. But even in his best years he only averaged above 100 once, and would be an extremely risky pick for someone with the injury history of Cooney. Nonetheless, it is an interesting insight into what we could see from him next year, but it’s a no for mine.

Prediction
Slightly better year for Coons, but nothing that we want in fantasyland, 88.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/westernbulldogs-star-adam-cooney-flying-after-revolutionary-knee-treatment/story-e6frf9jf-1226527567665

kilbluff1985

good luck to him hope he can get some form back

Adamant

Even in his prime, he only averaged 107...

Very awkward price and that knee is still a concern. Not for me.

AFEV

Even as a forward I don't think I'd take the punt on him. Not sure his body will ever be right and as Ada said was never that great an SC'er.

Good work though shorty. :)