What will a top 8 mid need to average?

Started by tbagrocks, December 29, 2012, 02:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

So many mids to choose, cheaper options like Fyfe, Redden. Guns in Pendles, Cothhen and Kennedy

But just what will a mid with the new 8 starter format, need to average to be a viable keeper?

Ablett, Beams, Dangerfield, Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Tuck, Boyd, Selwood, Kennedy, Cotchen, Murphy, Lids, that's 13 and 13 into 8 don't go + Thommo, Mitchell, Swallow, Priddis, Jack,  then to stepp up Fyfe, Sloane, Sidebum, Ward, Shuey, Redden etc

So, the top eight all over 117 this year and 17 over 110,

What does a mid need to average to be a success, and how many risks can you afford to take if the top eight are up close to 120 a week?

Is having guys getting 110 enough or with the 30 trades do they need to be upgraded to the tops?

CrowsFan

Well as you said the top 8 from last season all averaged over 117, so would say thereabouts again. Would be happy enough with 115 from my players though :)

masedog333

this is a really good post. really interesting stuff. in the past with 6 midfielders, you would have had to have 6 of the best, if not the actual best 6, and with less trades in the past this means you had to start the season with 3 or 4 of the 115+ averaging blokes. now, with 8 midfield spots you can probably afford to have 1 or 2 averaging 110, as it is hard to fit 8 guns and the increased amount of trades means, IMO, that it allows us to be able to take some risks in the midfield with guys such as ball, embley, fyfe or mundy because there are more spots and trades available.

Ringo

Depending on structure you use but as a guide most teams will start with at least 4 prems and I would expect these  to average between 115 - 120.

With the number of trades available this year most people will be aiming to have 7/8 prem mids by finals and I would expect all to be averaging much the same.

As we know mids are the most prolific scorers so you would be looking at stacking mids with high scoring players.

Most teams I have seen so far have 4/5 prem mids to start,

meow meow

This is where durability comes into play. You'll get 22 games out of Priddis and Boyd, but maybe only 20 out of Selwood. Let's assume that you'll get 70 from a rookie for each of those 2 weeks.

Boyd 115 x 22 = 2530

Selwood 120 x 20 = 2400
Rookie 70 x 2 = 140
Total: 2540

So it doesn't really make much difference.

Picking guys who will play 22 games at 115+ is just as valuable as having the 120+ players who might miss a game here and there. That's why Thompson, Swallow and Priddis are good picks. They'll get the same amount of points, and save you a bit of cash in the process.

I didn't pick Watson in 2012 due to his inability to play a whole season previously. If you pick the right ones who'll play every game you will reap the rewards. Ablett is the exception, because he scores so much that even if you have four 70 rookie weeks, combined they'll still be number 1.

Based on all this, JPK is looking like a lock for me.