Jimmy Bartel given DPP in 2013.

Started by gossiboy, November 14, 2012, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM

He picks up a lot of 6 ptrs on the  way out of defence.An 95 average has him a fwd lock in my side.

Ricochet

Quote from: Speculator on November 14, 2012, 02:38:08 PM
Can anybody confirm the source of these "les mid-field time for Jimmy" rumours? I hadn't heard that one before. I thought the story was something along the lines of the younger players getting more midfield time, rather than Jimmy getting less. Jimmy didn't play a lot of midfield last year anyway so I would expect blokes like Corey (he is terrible now anyway), Johnson and Kelly to be most affected.
here mate, this is one of the reports
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=149703

"GEELONG star Jimmy Bartel is set to continue in his 'swingman' role in 2013 as the club ushers younger players into its midfield."

"Bartel's possession tallies have been trending down since he amassed 702 touches, at an average of 28 per game, in 2008."

"However, Geelong assistant coach James Rahilly is adamant that the figures are a result of his reduced game-time in the midfield, rather than reflecting a run of poor form."

"Although he'll be in the game for many seasons yet, the 28-year-old, who is contracted until the end of 2015, is unlikely to play as a permanent midfielder again."

"It's the same for the Joel Corey and James Kelly-type players. They'll have to limit their time at little bit in the midfield, I think."

"Bartel and co will be replaced in the middle of the ground by talented youngsters including Mitch Duncan, Allen Christensen, Taylor Hunt and Jordan Murdoch."

Toga

Must say I'm a bit surprised that he'll be getting DPP as well, but I don't think he'll be starting in my fwds anyway.

Barra17

Taylor Hunt may be a decent pickup in the backline then if he is going to get a bit of midfield time. Already averaged 70 this year, could he lift it to 80?

Holz

Will probably be in my squad by round 9 to take advantage of his good draw. Might start with him just because I started dt in 2008 so barrel was the original dt beast.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Barra on November 14, 2012, 04:24:28 PM
Taylor Hunt may be a decent pickup in the backline then if he is going to get a bit of midfield time. Already averaged 70 this year, could he lift it to 80?

Maybe for SC but probably won't cut it at premium level in DT. still not sure he will get enough of it, plays his role a bit too well.

/////////////////////////

there are still better options around like Tyson and Adams

Chelskiman

Quote from: Ricochet on November 14, 2012, 11:42:39 AM
I'm actually concerned he won't be fantasy relevant any more even as a fwd.

1) His average has been on a steady decline for 5 years now - 114 (2007), 113 (2008), 109 (2009), 105 (2010), 97 (2011), 95 (2012)
2) Geelong have said he will be a swingman next year, with less time in the midfield

Declining average + less time in the midfield = <90 ??

If he averages anywhere from 85-95 in the forward line though that has to be seriously considered. 

henry

Yeah I thought he was more likely for MID/DEF to be honest, surprising for sure. Will have to consider now, it is possible if you were ignoring the bye rounds to have a forward line full of cats!

Stevie J, Bartel, Chappy (age?),Christensen, Varcoe, Menzel (though still won't play for a while I think)

Spinking

If Mid / Def I would have got on, but not as Mid / Fwd. Too many better options.

Bluesman

Can someone please explain WHY there can't be more DPP players in general???
It frustrates me every year that when someone (ie. Bartel) gets DPP that alot of people will end up picking those players. What's wrong with leaving guys like Zorko and Sidebottom (for example) as DPP so as people must CHOOSE between players - consequently bringing more variety and interest to the teams and competitions. So what if it's not exactly like where they play in reality??!!!! Would make absolutely no difference other than positive ones! :))

Adamant

Probably wont start with him. His average has declined each year since 2007, and there is much better value to start with.

Tominator