Mulling over my general structure/strategy for 2013

Started by Scrads, September 10, 2012, 06:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrads

So I haven't made myself a team in the Fanplanner yet (I don't really want to until the official DPP and prices/salary cap are released) but I having been thinking about all the players and whether I want them or not. I have come to the conclusion that there are lots of back-prems I want, lots of mid-prems I want and a ton of Forward value picks I want and honestly my first thought is to try something a bit left field: NO forward 'premiums'.

Basically with all the value in the cheap forwards I reckon they can provide the money making power I need to then just stack my Mids with 5 super premo's (which I hope will be set and forget) and hopefully at least 5 premium backs aswell.

Then I think about it more and think maybe I should include some sub-premiums in my forward line just to try and balance things out with players like Fyfe and Martin.

Hate the idea of missing out on so many good options, so hoping for a 3-man fwd/mid/back bench to fit them all in ;)

tl;dr? is this viable:
Preview:

B: Premium, Premium, Premium, Premium, Premium, Mid-pricer, Rookie (Rookie, Rookie)

M: Super-Premium, Super-Premium, Super-Premium, Super-Premium, Super-Premium, Rookie (Rookie, Rookie)

R: Premium, Mid-Pricer (Rookie, Rookie)

F: Cheap-Value-Pick, Cheap-Value-Pick, Cheap-Value-Pick, Cheap-Value-Pick, Cheap-Value-Pick, Cheap-Value-Pick, Cheap-Value-Pick (Rookie, Rookie)

Cicjose

LF

I have an idea about what I want to do but need to wait for DPP confirmations,rookies and most importantly the fixtures to see what the byes are like.

EZA100

Ricochet

seriously considering something similar mate, not sure how it will go when the official prices come out tho

elephants

Viable tactic imo. So many good mid-price options its not funny!

Mr.Craig

I see where you're coming from with that strategy. My concern would be that you are basically pegging your hopes on the cheap value picks not only making money but in some cases becoming keepers. It's so much easier for a rookie to go from 100k to 300k compared to a guy returning from injury at 250k going up to 450k.

You might have a great start to the season but lack of trades and cash could hurt you later on.

Tyes

I like it. It is the type of structure that would shoot you up the rankings early in the season. Then if things work out smart trading could see you with ever chance to maintain and even have a good go at the car. I am considering the same thing. Maybe a premo FWD though and a cheeky mid priced mid ;)

Scrads

Quote from: Mr.Craig on September 10, 2012, 09:30:27 PM
I see where you're coming from with that strategy. My concern would be that you are basically pegging your hopes on the cheap value picks not only making money but in some cases becoming keepers. It's so much easier for a rookie to go from 100k to 300k compared to a guy returning from injury at 250k going up to 450k.

You might have a great start to the season but lack of trades and cash could hurt you later on.

Those Cheap-Value-Picks also have a slight edge on rookies but not being as sub-prone. And if the prices are as they are in the fanplanner then players like Lecras, Varcoe, JJK etc I think are more worth it than rookies.

Justin Bieber

I think my backs might include harbrow and bock maybe.

Zombie2.5

My fanplanner has quite a lot of those cheap value forwards too, except I've included a premium or two in there, which is probably taking up a lot of cash. Are you worried about missing out on the great rookies, that will most likely be only mids? Whitefield, Kennedy, Crouch, O'Meara just to name a few.

But the cheap forwards options are endless. LeCras, Bock, Staker, Josh Kennedy, Varcoe, Kraks, Menzel etc...

Could totally backfire though, even if only 1-2 spud up... not to mention injuries :-\

Scrads

I think 3 rookie mids will be enough. O'meara a lock then most likely Whitfield and Crouch the other two.

henry

I like having a few value picks in the forwards such as Lecras  Gray, Bock etc but not too many. It really think every team needs Buddy, and Stevie J will be a lock for many including myself.