From Convicted Rapist to NFL Star?

Started by CrowsFan, June 14, 2012, 02:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7986979/redemption-brian-banks

QuoteIt's not every day that the Washington Redskins call up a man convicted of rape and ask him if he'd agree to a one-day workout, but it happened Tuesday.

Brian Banks was a highly promising young footballer, who had been offered a full scholarship must have thought his dream to play NFL was over when he was convicted of rape and spent the next 5 years in prison, followed by the next 5 as a registered sex offender.

But after catching the accuser admitting on tape that she hadn't been raped his conviction was overturned and he became a free man. Just days later he received offers from 4 NFL clubs to come for a try out!!

Read the article for all the details, because it's a pretty amazing story. I really hope he makes it to the big time!

Colliwobblers

+1, I'm all about to get on my high horse and say how disgusting they recruit a rapist then this....

Hope he does make it big time, best way of making it up to him is having his dreams come true.

BratPack

I wish him the best but he's 26 years old and hasn't played in 10 years. His chances are something like 0.000000000000000001%

Mat0369

I remember reading this when he got the conviction overturned. It is good to see he is getting a chance.

RiOtChEsS

in which case he should sue the skanky kent for loss of potential earnings...

b!tche$ like this make me sick, trying to make a claim to fame thru their fatgynarz ::)

also makes the justice system look fatally flawed

Shaggy

Pretty sure he is at Seattle, having done a mini-camp in which he impressed.

CrowsFan

Quote from: BratPack on June 14, 2012, 12:18:35 PM
I wish him the best but he's 26 years old and hasn't played in 10 years. His chances are something like 0.000000000000000001%
Yeah obviously a long shot, but good luck to him.

So far he has done private workouts with Seattle, San Diego and Kansas city, and just completed a 3 day mini-camp with Seattle too. Also has an offer to attend a camp with the Vikings.

Seattle linebacker coach Ken Norton Jr. had this to say about him...

"Well, you know, he's a little behind -- he might be a little rusty. But there's the foundation. Does he look like a ballplayer? Yes. Does he move well? Yes. Is there a chance? Absolutely. The idea is, can he line up, and can he chase the ball? It's about making a first impression, and I liked the first impression he left."