Median v Average...

Started by ReltonR, May 16, 2012, 06:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellraisers

I think what is really useful is the MODE, which is the most commonly occurring number, and therefore a pretty accurate predictor of what they are most likely to score in the the future in any one particular game.

Take Patty Dangerfield for example, his scores this year are 93, 92, 99, 91, 141, 122, 96, 173, 87

His average is 110, his median is 96, but his MODE, if you round some numbers up or down, is around 91.

My point is that after his big 173, a lot of my friends were wanting to trade him in, thinking he was going to go on a run of big scores, but I looked at his MODE, and saw that he's most likely to score around 90 each week, and what does he do? Gets an 87 which is pretty damn close... so if you paid $560k for him you paid too much...

For overall of course Average is the most useful, but for leagues, when you're picking a player you want to win you games, you want to look at what score they are most likely to score. The same works for guys like Stevie J and Tomahawk as well, but doesn't take into accound that they could lift their form from here on out and start killing it.

Justin Bieber

Surely these are SC numbers??

He never got 173 in DT...

Jukes

Guys stop mixing maths with dt. I like DT and hate maths!

MLS

Quote from: Jukes on June 01, 2012, 11:33:29 AM
Guys stop mixing maths with dt. I like DT and hate maths!

i agree, I feel like I'm in year 8 maths all over again