Main Menu

The Games That will define seasons!

Started by ossie85, October 28, 2011, 11:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

The draw:

Well, for starters this link the herald sun gave has half 2011, half 2012 stuff on it (they talk about Essendon's bye in the last round, and the Pies not travelling in first half of year... all is wrong). Poor stuff!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/fixture-2012

But the games listed are correct.

Pies..... Well, surely no one will complain this time.

jimmytigs

im a saints fan,dont know how north & crows done it or who they know,but i dont mind the kangas,north getting the 2 new teams twice & essendon once each,gotta love that-i wont be smiling if the roos rack up a massive % in those 4 games & pip the saints into the 8 on % but bombers hahaha,youd think though that the afl would work it out that no team got both of them twice

Another thing,saints were last team to play suns last year,how do we get that same honor with gws this year?

Cookie Monster

I'm not complaining :) Essendon have a good draw.

We travel interstate twice in the first 11 rounds, and those 2 teams are, Gold Coast and GWS!

Ringo

I think Brisbane's season will be defined in the first 7 rounds.
Not an easy start to the season with playing Carlton, Geelong and Collingwood admittedly all at the Gabba and a trip to Pattersons to play Freo all by round 7 and then West Coast in Round 10.
Get to play the Suns twice and GWS once which may help.

Of the top Teams that finished top 8 this year only play Carlton and West Coast twice.

Downside only 5 day break between Rounds 1 and 2. Round 1 at MCG Saturday v Melbourne probably an ideal opener considering the Mitch Clark issue followed by Thursday Night at the Gabba V Carlton. After this we only have 3 6 day turn arounds. 

3 Sunday afternoon games at the gabba is more than usual.

Will miss the travel to Launceston v Hawks which has been a tradition for the last couple of years for Brisbane supporters.

Overall reasoable draw apart from the first seven rounds with travel and games against heavyweights. Would like our chances of top 8 if we were 4 and 3 after the first seven rounds.

Cookie Monster

Adelaide -

Rounds 2-3 v Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

These 2 games will define the Crows season, maybe not fully, but they are certainly ones were you will watch them to see where they are within the competition.

Rounds 7-8-9 v Carlton Collingwood and Geelong

if they can challenge in those 3 games they are a chance for top 9-10

KEY Player - Scott Thompson

Brisbane -

Rounds 5-6-7 v Geelong, Essendon and Collingwood

Hard games, but will again, see were they are within the competition, 2 of them at the Gabba and last year they struggled to finish teams off, one of those games against Geelong were they could have won, if they can do that, they will certainly improve.

KEY Player - Jonathon Brown

Carlton  -

Rounds 3-4 v Essendon and Collingwood

The 2 biggest games for Carlton for the last few years, they will probably beat Essendon, but challenging Collingwood will be the challenge. If they lose the 2 games, there confidence will be shot.

KEY Player - Chris Judd

Collingwood -

Rounds 1-3-5 v Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon

Will definantly see early on if they have reagined they hunger they lost in season 2011, they first game is the biggest because of Hawthorn being hungry also.

KEY Player - Scott Pendlebury

Essendon -

Rounds 4 and 5 v Carlton and Collingwood

The 2 biggest games for the Bombers, they have a reasonably easy first 11 rounds, if they can keep up with these 2 then there is significant improvement, If they can win 1, i tip they will be 10 and 1 by round 12. The 4 day break between the Carlton and Collingwood game will be significant, going by that same time last year, there will be a few sore players on ANZAC Day.

KEY Player - Michael Hurley

Fremantle -

Rounds 1 and 2 v Geelong and Sydney

The first round is significant to star off, at home against the reigning Premiers, Round 2 will tell us if they can play interstate, 2 opening rounds against finalists of 2011 will see if it was Injuries that truely ruined their 2011 season.

Geelong - Rounds 1 and 2 v Fremantle and Hawthorn

Geelong start their season in Perth and will  test if they still have the form that won them the premiership, Round 2 will be the true teas though to see if they still have that hunger to finally secure back-to-back premierships. Could the loss of Cameron Ling free up the best midfielder and kill it for the Cats?

KEY Player - Anyone who can play a tagging role.

Gold Coast -

Rounds 1-2-3 v Adelaide, St.Kilda and Essendon

These 3 games will test the Suns' improvement, Adelaide is a possible win, they can challenge both St.Kilda and Essendon. I think we will see improvement in those 2nd year players but i don't think it will do much.

KEY Player - Gary Ablett jnr

Greater Western Sydney -

Rounds 1-2 v Sydney and North Melbourne

Sydney is the, well i don't know, lets kick it off with the Derby, will see how they go under Kevin Sheedy and with the big boys. North game is the first game at A home ground, will we see a decent croud?

KEY Player - Tom Scully

Hawthorn -

Rounds 1-2 v Collingwood and Geelong

Do the Hawks have the hunger to come back from a close preliminary final loss to Collingwood and maybe go that one step further? We will see as they play the Grand Finalists in the first 2 rounds.

KEY Player - Lance Franklin

Melbourne -

Rounds 1-2-3-4-5 v Brisbane, West Coast, Richmond, Bulldogs, Saints

How many of these can they win, 2-3 if they're lucky. Melbourne have struggled to improve the last couple of seasons, and since they have lost Tom Scully what way will they go? I reckon they will not improve and will win maybe 1 of them.

KEY Player - Jack Watts

North Melbourne -

Rounds 1-2-3 v Essendon-GWS-Geelong

Will defenantly see if there is improvement in North in the first 3 rounds, playing GWS is a bonus because of the possible losses coming before and after it.

KEY Player - Drew Petrie

Port Adelaide

Rounds 1 to 23 - Everyone.

They need to prove to everyone that they can improve, this year would be all about that. I don't give them a chance, but who knows.

KEY Player - Robbie Gray

Richmond -

Rounds 1-2 v Carlton and Collingwood

Need to see improvment from Richmond in the big games if they are to get anywhere, they were hyped last year but didn't produce, can they do it this year?

KEY Player - Trent Cotchin

St.Kilda -

Rounds 7-8-9 v West Coast, Carlton, Fremantle.

The draw was kind to them so they can't make escuses for a poor start, these games a after that start, but they are games they can win and need to win if they are to be top 4

KEY Player - Nick Dal Santo

Sydney -

Rounds - 5-9-11 v Hawthorn, St.Kilda and Essendon

The draw as also kind to them spreading these 3 games around in the opening 11 rounds, they need to win these 3 to see any significant improvement to the team.

KEY Player- Kieren Jack

West Coast -

Rounds - 4-7-8 v Hawthorn, Essendon and St.Kilda

Probably the area they lacked in was beating top 4-5 teams last season, these 3 teams will be right up there next year and they need to win them to be a contender for the Premiership? But was last year a fluke, we will see in 2012

KEY Player - Darren Glass

Western Bulldogs -

Rounds - 1-3-6 v West Coast, St.Kilda and Collingwood.

Last time the Dogs player the Eagles in Perth, they got thumped and Kennedy kicked 10. Can they improve under the new coach who has had experience, can they get those experienced players back playing consistant footy?

KEY Player - Brian Lake.

ossie85

Awesome write up Hilly!

Surprised you made Michael Hurley your key player for Essendon. You've shown nothing but hate for him before!

And I think you underate Melbourne. Reckon they can win all 5 of those, and are my bolter tip for the year. Scully didn't play much last year for them anyway.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: ossie85 on October 28, 2011, 02:17:17 PM

Awesome write up Hilly!

Surprised you made Michael Hurley your key player for Essendon. You've shown nothing but hate for him before!

And I think you underate Melbourne. Reckon they can win all 5 of those, and are my bolter tip for the year. Scully didn't play much last year for them anyway.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44507.0.html

ossie85

Cookie Monster

Quote from: ossie85 on October 28, 2011, 02:25:06 PM

That was my sarcastic voice ;)
But in all seriousness, he is the key player, if he plays well Essendon play well, he is the best 22 year old in the country.

ossie85

Oh yeah, Hurley's the next big key forward IMO

CrowsFan

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 28, 2011, 02:39:46 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on October 28, 2011, 02:25:06 PM

That was my sarcastic voice ;)
But in all seriousness, he is the key player, if he plays well Essendon play well, he is the best 22 year old in the country.
Hurley is 21, unless you are talking about his age next season...
Anyway other players who are the same age who I would say are better are:
Tom Rockliff
Nic Naitanui
Luke Shuey (possibly)
Chris Yarren (possibly)
Rory Sloane (could be a little biased)

ossie85

Yeah, but with the exception of Naitanui, none of the others are structure players. As exciting as Fyfe and Rockliff are, Hurley could be as good Brown, Riewoldt, Franklin or even Cloke (in 2011).

Midfielders are much more common

ajjewell

At the end of their careers Jack Watts will have had more of an impact than Hurley imo

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 28, 2011, 01:57:38 PM
Adelaide -

Rounds 2-3 v Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

These 2 games will define the Crows season, maybe not fully, but they are certainly ones were you will watch them to see where they are within the competition.

Rounds 7-8-9 v Carlton Collingwood and Geelong

if they can challenge in those 3 games they are a chance for top 9-10

KEY Player - Scott Thompson

Brisbane -

Rounds 5-6-7 v Geelong, Essendon and Collingwood

Hard games, but will again, see were they are within the competition, 2 of them at the Gabba and last year they struggled to finish teams off, one of those games against Geelong were they could have won, if they can do that, they will certainly improve.

KEY Player - Jonathon Brown

Carlton  -

Rounds 3-4 v Essendon and Collingwood

The 2 biggest games for Carlton for the last few years, they will probably beat Essendon, but challenging Collingwood will be the challenge. If they lose the 2 games, there confidence will be shot.

KEY Player - Chris Judd

Collingwood -

Rounds 1-3-5 v Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon

Will definantly see early on if they have reagined they hunger they lost in season 2011, they first game is the biggest because of Hawthorn being hungry also.

KEY Player - Scott Pendlebury

Essendon -

Rounds 4 and 5 v Carlton and Collingwood

The 2 biggest games for the Bombers, they have a reasonably easy first 11 rounds, if they can keep up with these 2 then there is significant improvement, If they can win 1, i tip they will be 10 and 1 by round 12. The 4 day break between the Carlton and Collingwood game will be significant, going by that same time last year, there will be a few sore players on ANZAC Day.

KEY Player - Michael Hurley

Fremantle -

Rounds 1 and 2 v Geelong and Sydney

The first round is significant to star off, at home against the reigning Premiers, Round 2 will tell us if they can play interstate, 2 opening rounds against finalists of 2011 will see if it was Injuries that truely ruined their 2011 season.

Geelong - Rounds 1 and 2 v Fremantle and Hawthorn

Geelong start their season in Perth and will  test if they still have the form that won them the premiership, Round 2 will be the true teas though to see if they still have that hunger to finally secure back-to-back premierships. Could the loss of Cameron Ling free up the best midfielder and kill it for the Cats?

KEY Player - Anyone who can play a tagging role.

Gold Coast -

Rounds 1-2-3 v Adelaide, St.Kilda and Essendon

These 3 games will test the Suns' improvement, Adelaide is a possible win, they can challenge both St.Kilda and Essendon. I think we will see improvement in those 2nd year players but i don't think it will do much.

KEY Player - Gary Ablett jnr

Greater Western Sydney -

Rounds 1-2 v Sydney and North Melbourne

Sydney is the, well i don't know, lets kick it off with the Derby, will see how they go under Kevin Sheedy and with the big boys. North game is the first game at A home ground, will we see a decent croud?

KEY Player - Tom Scully

Hawthorn -

Rounds 1-2 v Collingwood and Geelong

Do the Hawks have the hunger to come back from a close preliminary final loss to Collingwood and maybe go that one step further? We will see as they play the Grand Finalists in the first 2 rounds.

KEY Player - Lance Franklin

Melbourne -

Rounds 1-2-3-4-5 v Brisbane, West Coast, Richmond, Bulldogs, Saints

How many of these can they win, 2-3 if they're lucky. Melbourne have struggled to improve the last couple of seasons, and since they have lost Tom Scully what way will they go? I reckon they will not improve and will win maybe 1 of them.

KEY Player - Jack Watts

North Melbourne -

Rounds 1-2-3 v Essendon-GWS-Geelong

Will defenantly see if there is improvement in North in the first 3 rounds, playing GWS is a bonus because of the possible losses coming before and after it.

KEY Player - Drew Petrie

Port Adelaide

Rounds 1 to 23 - Everyone.

They need to prove to everyone that they can improve, this year would be all about that. I don't give them a chance, but who knows.

KEY Player - Robbie Gray

Richmond -

Rounds 1-2 v Carlton and Collingwood

Need to see improvment from Richmond in the big games if they are to get anywhere, they were hyped last year but didn't produce, can they do it this year?

KEY Player - Trent Cotchin

St.Kilda -

Rounds 7-8-9 v West Coast, Carlton, Fremantle.

The draw was kind to them so they can't make escuses for a poor start, these games a after that start, but they are games they can win and need to win if they are to be top 4

KEY Player - Nick Dal Santo

Sydney -

Rounds - 5-9-11 v Hawthorn, St.Kilda and Essendon

The draw as also kind to them spreading these 3 games around in the opening 11 rounds, they need to win these 3 to see any significant improvement to the team.

KEY Player- Kieren Jack

West Coast -

Rounds - 4-7-8 v Hawthorn, Essendon and St.Kilda

Probably the area they lacked in was beating top 4-5 teams last season, these 3 teams will be right up there next year and they need to win them to be a contender for the Premiership? But was last year a fluke, we will see in 2012

KEY Player - Darren Glass

Western Bulldogs -

Rounds - 1-3-6 v West Coast, St.Kilda and Collingwood.

Last time the Dogs player the Eagles in Perth, they got thumped and Kennedy kicked 10. Can they improve under the new coach who has had experience, can they get those experienced players back playing consistant footy?

KEY Player - Brian Lake.
eh, eh? :P

what else there is right or wrong at this moment in the season.