Season Trading Strategies

Started by swanny86, April 06, 2012, 05:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swanny86

Hey,

As a bit of a DT newb, i got selecting a team down pact but I am a bit unsure about the best way to trade during the season to maximise points.

Do you trade rookies once they max out in price for up and coming cheap rookies and use that cash to upgrade players like Porps, Hargrave..etc?

any other tips ??

nickyt

nickyt

Quote from: swanny86 on April 06, 2012, 05:17:15 PM
Hey,

As a bit of a DT newb, i got selecting a team down pact but I am a bit unsure about the best way to trade during the season to maximise points.

Do you trade rookies once they max out in price for up and coming cheap rookies and use that cash to upgrade players like Porps, Hargrave..etc?

any other tips ??

This year is very different in that the byes make it much more confusing & hard to get trading right. Yes, the basic idea is to make money out of maxed out rookies (break-even rises to above what they are expected to score in that round) and then use this money to turn other on-field rookies or mid-pricers into the best premiums you can afford. Usually this is quite a simple concept, but 2012 will require a LOT more thought. The byes must be a time when you make many of these upgrades in order to avoid too many donuts successfully. Therefore I think it is a good idea to start with a fair few of the best rd 13 premiums - maybe 2 in defence, 2 in mid and 2 forward, as when round 12 rolls around you can upgrade a rookie or two (best if rookies from rd 12 as then you are directly avoiding the 0 that round) to one or two rd 11 premiums - avoiding two 0's with these two trades, but not wasting the trades as sideways trades either (although rd 11 doesn't seem to have too many decent premiums, but this is another issue) then when round 13 rolls around you can do the same, but instead of getting only rd 11 premiums this round, you can also choose from rd 12 premiums as they will both have had their byes and should play out the season as long as fit and not rested.
     The main issue though is the GWS rookies. Many people have in excess of 6 GWS rookies (i have 8 ) as these theoretically will be the best rookies this year, meaning that when rd 11 rolls around, people may tend to get their two donuts in this round if they still have a large number of these rookies in their teams. Overall i think this may have been avoided by the generally poor quality prems in rd 11 bye (bar GAZZA) and therefore the majority of rd 11 players in DT's are GWS rookies, so maybe this won't be an issue, particularly given most of these initially picked GWS rookies will have been traded out and cashed in come rd 11 anyway.
       The ideal situation this year would be going into round 11 with 2 rd 11 bye players on each line (preferably only one in the ruck), and then some rd 12 and 13 rookies, which are ready to be cashed in prior to rd 12 and 13 respectively, then being used to cash in + upgrade to round 11 prems prior to round 12 and then round 12 prems prior to round 13, ensuring you have the right players at the right times, and if the stars align avoid getting any more than the minimum of 2 donuts...
     The key thing I will be focussing on this year, will be generally ridding my team of most GWS rookies by round 11 for rookies, and when cashing them in for other rookies, trying to get predominantly rd 12 and rd 13 rookies. Hopefully enabling a smooth transition during the byes.
   Another thing is don't be too afraid of having 3 round 12 or 13 premiums on one or two lines as you WILL get two donuts even if everything else goes to plan (i.e. no one dropped/injured during the byes) an example of this in my team is having scotland, deledio and goddard in the backline. They are all backline premiums with the round 13 bye, so i have accepted that in rd 13 i will definitely get a donut in the backline (obviously i plan on keeping them throughout the year if they stay fit), so this is already guaranteed to be one of my 2 donuts that everyone is certain of getting anyway during rounds 11-13, so therefore, although it contradicts some people's beliefs that we should have a max of 2 prems from each bye in each line, it is not technically a problem...

Another thing i forgot to mention is you get 3 trades during the bye rounds rather than the 2 trades you will get for every other round this season (this helps explain how if you trade effectively you may only get 2 donuts during the byes)

Sorry if this is very confusing but i tried to mention some relevant things to think about in terms of trading for the byes, and lets face it... this will be a very confusing time for our DT seasons :'(

Here is a great link to help you out with the byes (if you don't already have it). It colour codes every player in your team in terms of which round their bye is in and it is VERY easy to use and means you can actually see where you will get 0's during the byes, I RECOMMEND IT TOO ANYONE WHO READS THIS ;)

http://blog.footynerd.com/ (look at RHS of the webpage and follow instructions)

Grannyboy

You'll also need to keep an eye out for new rooks coming through mid year to downgrade to and also to trade later on for a bit of extra cash when it get to finals time. Watch out for high priced players losing a lot of value too, most of them will go back up again it just a matter of trying to pick when that's gonna happen. Most rooks will peak around round 8-9 just before the byes so you'll have to get your trades sorted to avoid the dreaded doughies.