My Final Team (I think), please rate.

Started by bobby_vee, March 20, 2012, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby_vee

Only going for League win, and at the moment, have conceded Round 13.

Few of my thoughts:

- Back line may have 1 too many prems. I initially had Dangerfield in midfield and Yagmoor in defense, but couldn't find a suitable replacement for Yagmoor, so I got rid of Danger and Yagmmor and got Heppell and Miles. Figured that the mid rookies should outperform the def rookies and hence be bigger cash cows.

- Hale in forward line. Plan on swapping him and Rowe to get Hale in the ruck position in future and then upgrade to Cox, who will probably go down in value at the start of the year, while Hale should pick up a little.

- I am a sucker for DPPs. They saved me last year, and as you can see, I have quite a few this time around again. I like the flexibility, although I know it may not be needed so much this year, it helps out with upgrades/downgrades later in the season, so I am not looking to cut out too many, if any DPP players.

- Concerned with the 7 GWS Rookies. I am only going for the league win, so what is scored in the first 2 rounds I don't care about. What I do care about is the fact that the GWS rookies will be locked out before the start of the other games, therefore flexibility to change my rookies before the start of the Haw/Coll game will not be there. Should I be concerned about this?

Last year was my first year, and basically made up a team in the final 10 minutes before the first game and suffered the rest of the year with most of my trades gone by the halfway mark to be semi-competitive. I don't want that to happen again. Any and all advice will be great.

Thanks in advance.

Cruiseon

Very good side.

Obviously prepared to risk a rookie ruck which I still question but its a considered strategywith Hale the backup playing the Petrie role. If Hale does go into the Ruck it does leave a pretty weak forward line.

Backs are very strong & mids are good.

I've pulled Clifton out of my side as for his price I don't think his JS is that high and his scoring is just ok.

DCAK

Hi mate, here's what I think.

DEF: Great, just replace Shaw with Ellis or Morris
MID: Great, just replace Couch (Rookie listed) & Allen (Quote GCS website: He trained with Gold Coast SUNS in the 2011 pre-season and was used as a top-up player in the reserves.)
RUCK: Great (for 1 prem 1 rook theory), Rowe seems a wasted pick at this stage.
FWD: Problems. Hale is not good enough to be your F3.

I read what you had to say, and yes, in past years DPP have been a get out of jail free card, but in past years the rookie ruck options weren't apparently so promising (Zak Smith proved us wrong). What I see you doing is committing to DPP ruck/fwd set up in principle and ignoring the fact you don't need it this year. Get on Big O and make some coin.

Likewise the only reason I can see you have Allen in your mids is for DPP link.  A dead pick and an opportunity missed to make some much needed money for upgrades.

This year just isn't the year for DPP link DEF/MID & RUCK/FWD. It's not viable or necessary.

bobby_vee

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Quote from: Cruiseon on March 20, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

Obviously prepared to risk a rookie ruck which I still question but its a considered strategywith Hale the backup playing the Petrie role. If Hale does go into the Ruck it does leave a pretty weak forward line.

Quote from: DCAK on March 20, 2012, 05:36:05 PM
Hi mate, here's what I think.

DEF: Great, just replace Shaw with Ellis or Morris
MID: Great, just replace Couch (Rookie listed) & Allen (Quote GCS website: He trained with Gold Coast SUNS in the 2011 pre-season and was used as a top-up player in the reserves.)
RUCK: Great (for 1 prem 1 rook theory), Rowe seems a wasted pick at this stage.
FWD: Problems. Hale is not good enough to be your F3.

OK, got rid of Shaw. Was initially selected as he was playing Rd 13. Morris is out probably until Rd 6. Had Adcock in there a while ago, would he be the better pick over Ellis?

Removed Hale and Rowe, replaced Rowe with the Big O. Not totally sold on him for his NAB Cup performance though, but I understand that I should make some money on him compared to Rowe, and that is the idea of these rookies.

I had Hale and Dangerfield last year and they burnt me. Hale looks good at the moment, but don't want him sitting in the forward line with Rowe gone. So I am looking at Sidebottom, Dangerfield+$17k (looks the goods at the moment, but I can't forget last year), and Jack Riewoldt +$11k. I know there have been discussions about Sidebottom and Dangerfield, so not going to ask about comparing them 2, but throwing Jack into the mix, would he be the man to go to, or stick with one of the other 2?

Gonna have to go through all my rookies again I think, Couch looked OK in the NAB Cup, and watched some footage of Allen in the past, nice kick and a good footy brain, but looks like this won't be his year.

Thanks again fellas.