Booooooomer?

Started by The Supercoach, February 06, 2012, 07:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Supercoach

Hey guys i was looking for someone around the price of 500,000 - 550,000 and saw Brent 'boomer' Harvey. I have also noticed that no team have him. IMO i believe he still has the legs to ran out the game, but will he be to risky with the sub rule as there is a chance of him being subbed or starting sub. He has never really had any repetitive injury problems and is still in norths top 6 players so i just wanted to get some thoughts on him.

p.s. i no Dustin Martin is in that price range but for some reason i feal like with the tough draw he may not start the season very well.

The Supercoach

and also what do u think of ROBBIE GRAY?

Kenny27

I would stay away from Brent 'Rollercoaster' Harvey his best years are well past him and he is overpriced. Sure he will put in a 130 or 140 but wait till he gets tagged and you get smacked in the face with his 30 and 40 scores. To many lows for mine to have as a keeper.

ando_10

Quote from: The Supercoach on February 06, 2012, 07:12:57 PM
Hey guys i was looking for someone around the price of 500,000 - 550,000 and saw Brent 'boomer' Harvey. I have also noticed that no team have him. IMO i believe he still has the legs to ran out the game, but will he be to risky with the sub rule as there is a chance of him being subbed or starting sub. He has never really had any repetitive injury problems and is still in norths top 6 players so i just wanted to get some thoughts on him.

p.s. i no Dustin Martin is in that price range but for some reason i feal like with the tough draw he may not start the season very well.

the roos would NEVER start boomer sub to much of an influential player
i think everyone every year gets scared about his age but i think he is a good unique one

as for robbie gray hes a just a big fat NO who knows he might get injured waking up in the morning to go to a game haha 

The Supercoach

Yea i think with the likes of Swallow, Wells (when he comes back) and Ziebell and then Petrie in the fwd line, lil boom might just creep out of people minds as someone that needs to be tagged. His age doesnt worry me as he has had a full pre season (modified obviously) but that damn sub rule leaves a doubt in my mind (being subbed not starting). Who knows maybe they will start him as sub in 5 years time instead  ;)

upthemaidens

cons- hes older than the sun
pros-he doesnt miss games
cons-he'll probably average less than last year
pros-he's pretty unique
cons-umm hes got a H in his name(im running out of cons)
pros-with guys like swallow and co. around him, he probably wont get tagged too often
cons- oh i thought of one,he plays for north
pros-a legend of the game, who we will probably be having the same discussion next year
cons-.....he spent the off-season in thailand with fevola and cousins...  (that hasnt been verified as true at time of post)
pros-no known injury concerns

Wolf67

2 of the most durable players in the AFL are Boomer, and of course Goodsy (who you can lock in for 22 games every year).  boomer, goodsy, rok are all 30+, but never seem to miss games with soft tissue injuries, whereas you get younger blokes such as cyril and missy higgins who cannot play out a full season without a hamstring or groin giving way.

The only injury of note that boomer has had was the broken arm in 2009, but apart from that he has a great record of playing games each week and has averaged over 100 on a regular basis. 

Watching boomer last year, he is showing no sign of slowing down, so if you like him, then I say why not.  He's been a premium for years and this year he could be a good unique.

I also initially liked the look of Martin in 2012, but not with that early draw.  I now see martin as an upgrade later, perhaps in the $400's.

The Supercoach

Quote from: upthemaidens on February 06, 2012, 07:47:36 PM
cons- hes older than the sun
pros-he doesnt miss games
cons-he'll probably average less than last year
pros-he's pretty unique
cons-umm hes got a H in his name(im running out of cons)
pros-with guys like swallow and co. around him, he probably wont get tagged too often
cons- oh i thought of one,he plays for north
pros-a legend of the game, who we will probably be having the same discussion next year
cons-.....he spent the off-season in thailand with fevola and cousins...  (that hasnt been verified as true at time of post)
pros-no known injury concerns
Quote from: Wolf67 on February 06, 2012, 07:58:23 PM
2 of the most durable players in the AFL are Boomer, and of course Goodsy (who you can lock in for 22 games every year).  boomer, goodsy, rok are all 30+, but never seem to miss games with soft tissue injuries, whereas you get younger blokes such as cyril and missy higgins who cannot play out a full season without a hamstring or groin giving way.

The only injury of note that boomer has had was the broken arm in 2009, but apart from that he has a great record of playing games each week and has averaged over 100 on a regular basis. 

Watching boomer last year, he is showing no sign of slowing down, so if you like him, then I say why not.  He's been a premium for years and this year he could be a good unique.

I also initially liked the look of Martin in 2012, but not with that early draw.  I now see martin as an upgrade later, perhaps in the $400's.

Just about convinced me, he has an intra club match tomoz which  i think he will play in and then maybe 1 nab cup game he should play and if he plays like boomer hes in my team, and the con- he plays for north is actually a pro

Mozza3

I like Boomer as a unique. He might be getting on in age but i still think he can average 100 again. Kangas have a nice draw too. I like Gray too, had a great 2nd half of last year and I'm pretty sure he played close to the 22 games for the year. With the recruitment of Ebert and Mc'Carthy maybe Boak and Gray could be due for their best years yet.