Draft #2 - Get involved!

Started by chadsta112, January 18, 2012, 06:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadsta112

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. Prospectus came today so getting straight into it.

Any thoughts would be great!

Def - B. Goddard, B. Deledio, H. Shaw, D. Heppell, B. Lake, S. Morris, L.Brown, J.Redpath

Mid - G. Ablett, D. Swan, J. Selwood, D. Martin, M. Barlow, D. Shiel, D. Zorko, J.Macdonald

Ruck - A. Sandilands, M. Luenebebrehbreerger, J. Giles, O. Stephensen

Fwd - L. Franklin, M. Pavlich, J. Watts, J. Brown, J. Porplyzia, D. Pfieffer, A. Saad, B. Smedts.

Kitty - $8,300

Underlined players are those who I am still a bit uncertain on.

Heppell - Word is he will be getting more midfield time this year, but i'm a bit worried about the second season syndrome where mediocrity could come into play. Originally had Birchall in this spot but needed the $$$ elsewhere.

J. Redpath - Obvious spud. Only chosen because of his MPP abilities.

Selwood - Really wanted to get S. Thompson (adelaide one) for this spot as something a bit out of the ordinary. I rate Thompson very highly and think with some increased help this year from the likes of Bernie Vince and NVB he could potentially rack up even higher scores. Selwood I think will prove more consistent though. J. Watson also came into mind, but his broken body puts me off.

Luenberger - Big year? Fingers crossed. Mcevoy, Nic-nat also got look ins. Also considered chosing Goldstein/Mcevoy combo.

Watts - From all reports, i'm not the only one gambling on him. The arrival of Clark will allow Watts to play a Richo-like half forward role in my opinion which im hoping is very fruitful. Zaha came into mind here but his price tag puts me off.

Let me know what you guys think!

ben_020285

Hey mate. Welcome to FanFooty.

Great first up side. Rate it highly. I have a few suggestions for you if you care to listen.

Backline: Perfect. Your premimums are exactly the lineup that I will go with if Lake shines during NAB cup and lines up in round 1.

Mids: Looks really good but I don't like premium MPP players in there so I'd move Martin to the fwdline.

Rucks: Perfect. 2 guns with good back up on bench.

Fwds: Franklin, Pavlich and J Brown are great picks. I'm a Dees man and I'm just not sold on Watts being a high SC scorer just yet. Unless you're looking to upgrade him later on you have to be able to ask yourself whether he is capable of averaging 95+ this season. I really don't think he can. Porplyzia is my other worry. He is cheap yes but once again is he going to score 95+ and become a keeper? Not likely. I made the same mistake with Chris Knights last year. Waste of money and trades.

My suggestions:

1. Move Martin into the fwd line for Watts.
2. Add another rookie to your midfield.
3. Downgrade Porplyzia to a rookie.

This way you won't really have any risks in your team and you'll have a bit of cash left in the kitty. Really do need a bit of breathing room in the way of cash at the start.

Good luck!

PICCOLLO

Selwood is a gun who's avg got dragged down by concussion.  He is up there with the best.  Keep him.  Luey for me isnt a lock - he finished season well but still got owned by the bigger rucks in 2011.  2013 will be the yr for him imo.  With goldy, sandy and coxy as options, luey isnt quite there.

Purple 77

ben is spot on, i advise doing what he says  :)

I think J Selwood is a better option than thompson IMO, and there is nothing to fear about luenberger, will have a great year me thinks.

Im just gonna offer you suggestion that you really dont have to listen to.

I seem to be the only one saying this, so you don't have to listen to this part  :P, but I dont trust second year players, 90% of them seem to go into a bit of a slump. There will be extra expectations on this kid, like there was with rhys palmer, Daniel Rich and Dan hannebry who all won the rising star, and their year after that wasn't very good. Perhaps Jack Grimes instead? A risk that is for sure, but if fit, he is a premium. You also get some extra mula for it that can make your team even stronger. Or, if you're worried Jack grimes would make your backs seem a bit weak, perhaps you could use that extra bit of money that, if you took ben's advice with martin-watts swap, to upgrade heppel to maybe corey enright.

I have smedts on my team, but i dont think he will play too many games, so im not too keen on the redpath selection used to link smedts to the backline. The new SC rule can allow you to, for example, if you had say, brian lake injured for the whole year and he needed to be dropped out of the team, you could swap smedts, (without any other player with the same link as him) into the backline and trade in another forward. You may or may not have been aware of this rule which is why i brought it up just in case you didn't. It was pointed out to me that, if you have a player that you don't expect to play say, more than 3 games, he is just gonna sit there wasting space, no matter what position he is in. Which is why i advise getting someone like Brandon ellis instead, coz he will at least earn you some money.

Hope i was helpful  :)

chadsta112

With a little bit of reading/posting/feedback and reasling that my initial draft only had 28 players :-\ i've re-done my side and me thinks this one could be great come round 1.

Backs - Goddard, Deledio, Shaw, Heppell, Lake, Brandon Ellis, Mohr, Stephen Morris, Luke Brown

Mids - Ablett, Swan, Selwood, Barlow, Toby Greene, Shiel, Mcdonald, Tom Mitchell

Rucks - Cox, Sandi, Giles, Stephensen (wanted to go coxy and Goldstein but the bye comes at the the same stupid time >:()

Forward - Franklin, Pavlich, Martin, J Brown, Pfieffer, Smedts, Zorko, Kerridge, Sexton

Kitty - $37,800

How are we looking? Any suggestions? Any and all feedback would be awesome!

PICCOLLO

chadsta112

ben_020285

Your team looks really good mate. I've actually gone with 12 prems the same as you at this stage.

BACKS: Exactly the same as mine so I think they look the goods.

MIDS: Here's where you'll have an issue. With Swan, Selwood and Barlow in the same side, they will all share the round 12 bye. It is recommended to only use a maximum of 2 prems per line per bye round or you will find yourself with a donut during that round. I would downgrade Barlow to a rookie.

RUCKS: Perfect.

FWDS: Upgrade one of your rookies to a premium with your leftover cash from Barlow. I went with Cloke.

Really great team once you sort the midfield out.

PICCOLLO

Thing that stands out is your weak fwd line.  3 fwd rookies needed on the park spells disaster.  Not sure about ur rookies.  Heppel to grimes and upgrade fwd rookie to porps?

meow meow

What are the chances of both Ellis and Morris playing? And neither being the sub?

Your forward line has got donuts written all over it.

chadsta112

Yeah forward line is lacking in comparison to others, but i'm unsure of how to go about it. I had porps in my initial team, but I think its just too risky. He just needs to think about reading a newspaper and he'll do a shoulder.

With Barlow, I dont want to not have him. He'll be worth his weight in gold if his body holds. I might upgrade him for a Scott Thompson or Hawks Mid before the bye if the stars align for me.

Good call on the Ellis + Morris situation. I watched Morris at Westies last year, B&F winner. I'd expect him to line up round one, but Ellis was just cash cow option thanks to the prospectus.

Should I downgrade Pav or someone and spend the money on upgrading my forward line rookies?