Thomas Couch

Started by Obese Arachnid, January 21, 2012, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Gooner

Whilst he has the potential to play game and to play games early, he's one of several players that Melbourne drafted who are ready to play straight away, and one of two or three mature aged players who were drafted.

There's also the issue that he has to be promoted to the senior list first, and then to get games.  I think he's a good chance to get promoted, but remember that he's competing with both Dan Nicholson and Evans for a place on the senior list.  At this stage, Melbourne can promote two rookies, one being as a result of only having Green on the veterans list and the other being because of Max Gawn's knee injury that has ruled him out for the season.  At this stage, I'd suggest that Nicholson has one of the promoted spots sewn up as he's been smashing it in training including winning the 3km time trial and placing top three in almost every other time trial.  Therefore Couch is competing with Evans who played a number of games last year.  At this stage, I'd put Couch slightly in front of Evans.

However, promotion to the senior list is only the first hurdle.  I'm not convinced that he'll be selected to play early as I think Tynan and Taggert, both who were drafted in the national draft are probably slightly in front of Couch. 

I think he's got the potential to score reasonably well, and if he's only a bench player he should be a good pick to make some money as he's starting from such a low base.  The other positive about Couch is that he's been training with the club for some time, starting training after the national draft and several weeks before he was drafted in the rookie draft. 

I'm not convinced that he'll set the world alight, but I think he could be a solid accumulator and a decent cash cow, however I think, at this stage, he's more likely to be an upgrade target than a starter.

nas

Purple 77

Great write-up Gooner  :)

charliesheen

I think he is definitely someone in consideration.

Gooner

Leigh Williams (21) and James Magner (24) were the other two mature aged players who were drafted by the Dees and both are also rookie listed.  Of those two Magner is much more likely to be promoted.

There may be one or two debutants for the Dees in round one, but there also should be a few useful upgrade targets with Couch and Magner both being rookie listed mature aged players who could slot into the side immediately whilst Taggert (19) and Tynan (19) are bigger bodied players (although a fair way of what Tapscott was like when he was drafted) and could play a number of games this season also. 

Keep an eye on them in pre-season.