HP's Rookie Profiles: Tom Mitchell

Started by Hellopplz, October 03, 2011, 06:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is This Mitchell A Chance In Your Team Next Season?

Yes.
17 (70.8%)
No.
0 (0%)
Who Knows...
7 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Justin Bieber

Name: Tom Mitchell
Position: Inside Midfielder (Who can play Outside)
Height: 181cm
Weight: 79kg

Mitchell is certain to be heading to Sydney at their first pick (#21) through teh Father Son Rule. And they may have a bargain on their hands as he was expected to go top 15 and maybe even possible top 10. Although Mitchell is young, I like to think his AFL counter-part would be his namesake in Sam Mitchell. They both love their hard balls which make them prized players for their teams. Sydney love their stoppages, so think Tom will be a very nice fit into their team with his fantastic inside work. He will not only win contested football but he knows how to use the ball. He can manage clearances or spot the open man with his football smarts and awareness. Mitchell is a possession machine and will keep racking them up which will certainly be great in the fantasy books. He has great endurance as he is very hard at the ball, so the endurance comes naturally to him through his effort on the field. Might also note in the U16 Carnival in 2009, Mitchell averaged 32 disposals which was a sign Sydney had to lock him in from them.

Tom plays for Claremont in the WAFL and although he's only played 6 games (duties for teh U18 carnival), his Stats for them are just signs of his capabilities. 6 games and he managed 157 disposals, that's roughly 26 a game which proves he is a ball magnet, even against more matured players. He can kick an odd goal and has a clean left boot which can make it 50m+ quite easily so is dangerous when going forward. What did impress me ALOT was from his 6 games, he managed 43 tackles. That's over 7 tackles a game which is just outstanding, no matter the player or where it is.

Fantasy Relevant? Considering he's going at #21, he is fairly cheap for what he can do. I'd certainly consider him but not yet a solid yes from me. He's a ball magnet who can tackle and has a good skills which makes him a very viable option in either DT or SC. I'd probably slot him onto the bench but will first see if he'll get games first at Sydney. With his talent, I'd hope he does from the get go as he suits their game plan perfectly.

My Chumps

Quote from: Hellopplz on October 03, 2011, 06:19:43 AM
I like to think his AFL counter-part would be his namesake in Sam Mitchell. They both love their hard balls...
;D
Sorry, had to be said  :P

Great write ups by the way HP. Top stuff, and very helpful  ;)

Ziplock

this was one of the rookie profiles that, as soon as I saw it I was like yes

Justin Bieber

Quote from: My Chumps on October 04, 2011, 01:15:04 AM
Quote from: Hellopplz on October 03, 2011, 06:19:43 AM
I like to think his AFL counter-part would be his namesake in Sam Mitchell. They both love their hard balls...
;D
Sorry, had to be said  :P

Great write ups by the way HP. Top stuff, and very helpful  ;)
Cheers guys. Had to put something in like that ;). I get bored at 5am in the morning :P.

charliesheen

For me, close to a lock.  Touted as top 10 pick, and will be priced as someone outside the top 20 due to F&S.  These are the types of picks I will be looking at rather than Congligio, Patten, etc..  There are also some very good prelisted picks that are top 10 potential (shiels, treloar, hampton, cameron)

My only concern is that Sydney's style of play isn't really conducive to fantasy scores.

Justin Bieber

Sydney's play involves alot of stoppages and Mitchell can play on the inside well. I think he could be quite productive as he will get his own ball and will get alot of tackles if he plays. It doesn't normally help fantasy scores, but more so for forwards than anybody else as they still have some solid scorers in the team.

theta

The thing that always worries me with Sydney rookies is that aside from Jetta, Rohan and Johnston, Sydney rookies are always made to wait 12months+ before they get a game (this happened throughout Roos whole time as coach).  I know Tom is a rare talent and they'll get him in the team this year, but I'm hesitant to think he will play more than 4-5 games, especially with the competition. 
That said, Sydney's window for a prem will open 2013, 14, 15, and they probably want to get as much game time into him as possible before then.

SydneyRox

He will get more than the 4-5 games, his body is much more mature than that of Rohan and especially Jetta.
Rohan would have played much more last year as well except for injury.
If he is in the team rnd 1, then he is a lock.

jasonweare

Quote from: SydneyRox on January 05, 2012, 08:06:08 PM
He will get more than the 4-5 games, his body is much more mature than that of Rohan and especially Jetta.

+1 locked if selected round 1

4INAROW

meow meow

He's still in the rehab group at the Swans training.

Knowall

I know hes an absoloute gun

But I struggle to see him playing round 1, the swans have too much competition .  I can see him being more of downgrade target, as some swans go down injured and he plays some good games in the reserves.

theta

Quote from: jasonweare on January 05, 2012, 10:12:10 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on January 05, 2012, 08:06:08 PM

+1 locked if selected round 1

...mature or not, Sydney almost never play 1st year rookies - I think he'll play, just dont expect a lock in the team early on, especially if he's in rehab now.  I wouldnt be surprised if they play him sparingly at first, and then more regularly towards the end of the season.
(of course disregard if you think Longmire has a different rookie policy approach than Roos)