Nick Suban

Started by Matty411, January 03, 2012, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty411

Nick Suban is the 21 year old Backman from Bacchus Marsh who is heading into his 4th year of AFL and is highly rated at the club. Whilst so far he has not come close to fulfilling his potential (both footy and DT-wise) he is once again primed for a big year if he can remain on the park.

Arguments For: He is young, hard at it, has a heap of potential and could get a lot of ball in an imposing Freo Side playing off the HBF or in the midfield pushing forward.

Arguments Against: Whilst he put together a full season in his first year, his last two seasons have been injury interrupted managing just 14 in 2010 and 10 in 2011. Also, as he is not yet proven, there is a fair bit of risk in picking him from the get go.

So is anyone considering Suban this year?

Priced at $272,100 on Fanplanner, he is a legitimate mid-price player who, at this price will scare off a lot of coaches.
Was prepared for a breakout in 2011 but was then again marred by injury. Seems to be of popular belief that he comfortably fits inside Freo's best 21 and if he can string a few games together off the Half Back Flank for Freo, he could push his average up to a handy 80-90 ppg

If he gets through the preseason unscathed, will you pick him?

valkorum

I wouldnt call him injury prone - he had his leg broken in a freak incident (during a tackle)

Matty411

didn't say he was injury prone Valk - just had an injury interrupted year. He has been unlucky these past 2 years but hopefully (like Grimes and Waters) his luck will change in 2012...

Speculator

He is on my short list. Serious break out candidate. If he has a good preseason he could be a good pick. I think he could average 90+

Matty411

If he averages 85+ it will be a worthwhile pick... Same goes with Brian Lake. But Suban is just ahead of Lake on my shortlist atm based on the fact he is only starting his career and has a lot of upside... whereas Lake is nearing the last few years of his and may not reach the same heights again.

ronl

As a general rule at the moment I'm treating all Fremantle players with caution until we see how Ross Lyon may restructure the team mainly in regard to positioning of players, and what style of football the team is likely to play ie positve v. negative.

Windigo

It's just wait and see with Suban. We really haven't had a decent look at him with all these unfortunate incidents that keep happening to him.

Adamant

I started with Suban last year and was very happy with him until his injury, he returned me scores of 76, 86 and 99 and then a sub affected 17. With a good pre-season, he could be a good smokey-midpricer.

Off Tap

I like him as a player and have toyed with the idea of having him in but with Lake etc around the same price will only go with 1 mid priced back this year. Seriously looked at him last year as well but decided against it.