valkorum

Pick #8 - Lee Spurr
Pick #26 - Haiden Schlothe
Pick #44 - Sam Menegola
Pick #61 - Jordan King
Pick #75 - Clancee Pearce

Cicjose

Lee Spurr
Lee is a former Queenslander who has spent the last 5 seasons playing for Central Districts in the SANFL winning 3 premierships. He has been a very consistent performer at SANFL level over the last few years.

He is a super courageous player who is very strong overhead. He has the ability to gut run and find plenty of the ball across HB and has also impacted on games as a midfielder and at HF. Lee averaged 22.3 touches and 7.3 marks a game at SANFL League level.

Haiden Schloithe
Haiden is a hard nosed inside 50 forward who has the potential to develop into a midfielder once his endurance improves. Strong overhead for his size and clean below his knees, he is genuinely tough and loves contested footy. He is a ferocious tackler and puts a lot of pressure on the opposition (he averaged 7.3 tackles per game at colts level this year).

He played a few league games this year and didn't look out of place at that level. He ran a super impressive 2.80 20m at the state screening as well as an 8.49 agility and a 24.33 repeat sprint time.

Sam Menegola
Sam was rookied by Hawthorn in 2010 after doing a pre-season with Fremantle. Sam struggled a bit with injury in 2011 and only managed the 3 senior VFL games in 2011.

However, he showed good signs during the 2011 NAB Cup at Hawthorn, where his class and running ability stood out. Sam’s main weapon is that he has elite endurance; running a 15.6 beep at the state combine last year and demonstrated this over pre-season at Fremantle Football Club in 2010. He’s a good size too at 188cm and has a lot of physical development/upside left in him.

Jordan King
Jordan’s played a stack of footy over the last 12 months. He has had to split his footy commitments with the Darwin Buffalows, NT U18s, NT Thunder, Rostrevor College and North Adelaide Reserves/U18. Jordan has played both through the midfield and as a small rebounding defender and has played well in both roles. Jordan plays the game with great intensity and really high energy.

His 2nd/3rd/4th efforts around the ball in particular are a real highlight. Jordan is a real competitor and has great intent at the contest. He averaged 19 possessions a game at the national carnival and averages over 20 at SANFL U18 level. He also tested very well at the National Combine; 2.98 20m, 8.52 agility, 24.89 repeat speed and a 10.45 3km.

Clancee Pearce
Re rookied for a 3rd year

j959

wtf?

why no Brad Dick - doesn't make sense to me, although sorry ... hang on, he's fwd yeah?

i think in my head, he could play the half-back role of Roger as good as if not better than??

still, WCE trump Freo again!!   ;)

Cicjose

we dont need backmen we need mids or forwards

valkorum

j959

Quote from: Cicjose on December 13, 2011, 01:36:15 PM
ok then, i mucked up ... he's a forward!  ;)

i think i get it now though ... they didn't want to take him as an inj-risk, but I would've thought with a rookie position it's ok to take a punt??!?  ???

valkorum

Quote from: j959 on December 15, 2011, 02:14:14 PM
Quote from: Cicjose on December 13, 2011, 01:36:15 PM
ok then, i mucked up ... he's a forward!  ;)

i think i get it now though ... they didn't want to take him as an inj-risk, but I would've thought with a rookie position it's ok to take a punt??!?  ???

Dick wont be ready to play until mid next year.  Ross was saying in an interview on 6PR last night that we want players who are ready to play from round 1.

CrowsFan

That's a pretty short term view don't you think valk?
With rookies shouldn't they be looking long term?

valkorum

Quote from: CrowsFan on December 15, 2011, 03:17:33 PM
That's a pretty short term view don't you think valk?
With rookies shouldn't they be looking long term?

I thought that at first last night when I heard the interview but after looking over the list it actually makes sense.  Ross also said in the interview that we will be looking at drafting KPP's next year.  We will need to turnover about 5 players to be active in next years "Super draft" so all players need as much opportunity to show they have something. 

There are 14 players that have contracts expiring at the end of next season.  It is quite feasible that up to 10 could go - the only safe ones (IMO) are McPharlin, Suban, and DeBoer with Griffin and Ibbo borderline.  If that many go then the current rookies are a chance to be upgraded so they need to show something next season.  You would rather take a speculative pick on a rookie next season than this season.

Suban
McPhee
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
McPharlin
Faulks
Griffin
Michie
Mellington
van Berlo
Walters
Crowley

valkorum

Suban just signed so that is one of my safe ones sorted :)

CrowsFan

Yeah fair enough then, didn't realise there were going to be so many out of contract.

On a related note, what do you think of de Boer wanting more time as an inside midfielder next year instead of a tagger? Reckon it could pay off?

valkorum

Quote from: CrowsFan on December 15, 2011, 07:37:39 PM
Yeah fair enough then, didn't realise there were going to be so many out of contract.

On a related note, what do you think of de Boer wanting more time as an inside midfielder next year instead of a tagger? Reckon it could pay off?

I love the idea.  Look out if he is on you next year - prob the hardest bloke going round at Freo (top 5 of AFL).  Freo supporters joke that he practises running through brick walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jdDHlUZQ4&feature=related

0:10sec - showing he can still be an offensive threat
1:51sec - hunting the ball in a pack
2:00sec - desperate, committed and hard against Mitch Brown
2:20sec - takes down Beau Waters front on
(watch 44sec for PAV kicking a MONSTER goal)