2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Justin Bieber

Name: Matthew Buntine
Position: Half Back/Midfielder
Age (By Draft): 18
Height: 188cm
Weight: 84kg

Matthew Buntine is probably the most highly rated backman in this draft. He may not be noticed as much as more hyped up players but that certainly doesn't take away from his abilities, some might say not getting noticed means he's doing his job well. His draft stocks have fallen after a poor U18 carnival but he's still tipped to go inside the top 10 (possibly even top 5). Buntine is a great half back flanker, with the ability to run off his man and play a quarterback role to being able to shut down his opponent. This makes him quite tempting for teams in need of a highly skilled flanker. He can play both on talls and smalls which could really help a team such as Port or GWS who could use a versatile defender (although Port seem to have quite a few tall defenders). His versatility can also stretch to the midfield with his general skill levels being quite high. He isn't a great athlete so to say but his witts about him on the ball can overcome that. He has a solid kick and can lead to many counter attacks out off defence or through the middle through his kicking/handballing abilities.

Buntine had a poor U18 carnival but has had a pretty good year for the Stingrays. His Stats show that his kicking and handballing efficiency is up there, rarely a game where he makes too many blunders compared to those he nails. As a defender, he is known to give away a few free kicks but can also get them through his shut down abilities frustrating the opposition. He can tackle well and his ability for the hard ball when in the midfield can be quite valuable. He doesn't kick many goals even when he does play midfield, but he should still get plenty of possessions on the Half Back Flank or in the midfield.

Fantasy Relevent? The simple answer is Yes. More than likely he'll be named as a Multi-positional player with B/C due to playing in either throughout his junior career. His ability to rebound the ball and play through the middle should mean great things fantasy wise. His ability to rack up possessions through teammates looking to him for the rebound make him very relevant to Dreamteam. While is kicking efficiency on the ball certainly make him a very tempting prospect for Supercoach. I think Buntine will either go to Gold Coast at #4 or Port at $6. If he goes to Port, I'm assuming they would play him as they could use the rebound (rather than relying on Pearce I think for the rebounds). No matter where he goes, he does look to be a good player in his first year through being a Backman.

bundyboy

if he is MPP then definately on the radar.

rookie who will actually play a bit, plus MPP and gets the ball - nice combination, and another solid bodied kid in comparison to sopme of the others..  I like him, and think he has almost pencilled in a spot in my backline bench

keep up the great work HP !

Grazz

This is another kid i'll be watching closely, mpp would be very handy.

j959

even w/out MPP he's on the radar - haven't seen many def rooks ...

MPP would be a bonus and i'm not expecting Heppell-like numbers but solid (though inconsistent) Otten-like back-up ...

Grazz

Quote from: j959 on October 24, 2011, 03:29:37 PM

MPP would be a bonus and i'm not expecting Heppell-like numbers but solid (though inconsistent) Otten-like back-up ...

Totally agree, backs are looking a little thin on the ground at the minute.

Justin Bieber

Yep, Buntine has been slipping through the draft order so may go at around 10 which will only make him more enticing with less price to pay :D.

Defenders are quite slim, especially those who can rack up possessions (Quite a few Key Backs are expected to go earlier than the runners).

truBLUE

Quote from: j959 on October 24, 2011, 03:29:37 PM

+1 defently a yes for me