Yes.
16 (57.1%)
No.
3 (10.7%)
Who Knows...
9 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 5

fortynine

As someone who was at Etihad for the U/18 as an impartial supporter (Vic Metro if I had to pick), I watched him and Jaegar O'Maera absoutely rip it up in their games and was very impressed at how mature Coniglio looked on the field very much like David Swallow.

Fantastic review though and I have to say that your notes are spot on, from everything I watched and talked to with scouters since he's a very very tasty prospect, but as you astutely noted there is a massive pool of talented midfielders in this years draft and that extra 20-50k could go a long way later in the year. But with a GWS lacking a A-Grader (yet, Scully is not even close) midfielder he could also risk taking on too much of a load and fatiguing, which makes me think the recruitment of older players is going to make the midfield a heavily rotated situation and may affect the amount of games he plays? I don't know anything about the GWS youth-policy so this is all theoretical.

I think personally I am keeping a close eye on Dylan Buckley even with the injuries, as somebody who knows his family and grew up playing with him at Fitzroy there's something in his attitude that makes him seem like he's capable of playing right away if he's ready, I know he's not a first-round prospect but do you have any notes on him? I'd be keen to see what there's been out there considering he's been injured for most of the season,

Anyway, it's a No for me so far unless his pre-season is out of this world, the money could be better spent

Ziplock

Quote from: charliesheen on September 27, 2011, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: MajorLazer on September 24, 2011, 07:11:59 PM
Think I may take Shiel instead. Maybe even Treloar.

Not sure if I will get any high priced rookies like Swallow this year. Save some money and use it elsewhere.

+1. 

Given how the GCS rookies performed in 2011, I am not sure I can justify spending an extra ~50k here.  Will need an exceptional preseason or MPP classification to come into consideration.

Will probably probably skip the number 1 pick Patton as well.

Sorry, I'm a DTer not SCer, but to me, a SC avg from a first year rookie (regardless of price tag) of 80 such as swallow sounds like an opportunity that really shouldn't be missed... I mean, I wouldn't touch him if I thought he would average under 70, but if he has the skills for 80ish avg, sounds like a final upgrade target to me.

charliesheen

Considering D. Swallow's base price, I reckon 80 was just... a passable average. 

If I were to do my team again, I probably would not have Swallow in my SC team.  Saying that, this would have put me at risk at picking Bewick/Atley/Iron picks, so early corrections would have been needed for the Curnows/Libas/etc.

IMO, at this stage, Shiels is the only lock for me, who would have probably gone number 1..  Reckon is a bit premature with the other picks, especially considering they are probably going to cost like 50k+ more.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: fortynine on September 28, 2011, 12:18:34 AM
As someone who was at Etihad for the U/18 as an impartial supporter (Vic Metro if I had to pick), I watched him and Jaegar O'Maera absoutely rip it up in their games and was very impressed at how mature Coniglio looked on the field very much like David Swallow.

Fantastic review though and I have to say that your notes are spot on, from everything I watched and talked to with scouters since he's a very very tasty prospect, but as you astutely noted there is a massive pool of talented midfielders in this years draft and that extra 20-50k could go a long way later in the year. But with a GWS lacking a A-Grader (yet, Scully is not even close) midfielder he could also risk taking on too much of a load and fatiguing, which makes me think the recruitment of older players is going to make the midfield a heavily rotated situation and may affect the amount of games he plays? I don't know anything about the GWS youth-policy so this is all theoretical.

I think personally I am keeping a close eye on Dylan Buckley even with the injuries, as somebody who knows his family and grew up playing with him at Fitzroy there's something in his attitude that makes him seem like he's capable of playing right away if he's ready, I know he's not a first-round prospect but do you have any notes on him? I'd be keen to see what there's been out there considering he's been injured for most of the season,

Anyway, it's a No for me so far unless his pre-season is out of this world, the money could be better spent
Indeed O'Meara will be hot property this off season, with West Coast certainly going to try and secure his draft rights from GWS. Yet makes me wonder if GWS would decide to keep both Coniglio and O'Meara for their future Dynasty. I haven't heard much on Buckley but will keep an eye on him! There could be some gems who fall in this draft, even outside the first round like there always is.

I agree that GWS seem to recruiting alot of midfielders so may be quite stocked there. Coniglio can play on the Forward Flank which does help his job security if he does go to GWS, as doesn't hurt to be versatile for a new team trying to figure out their best lineup. I'd expect it to be somewhat similar to Suns rotation wise. Keep the core future players while rotating the rest (e.g Swallow, McKenzie, Smith stayed while other rookies were rotated regularly).

Quote from: charliesheen on September 28, 2011, 04:38:18 PM
Considering D. Swallow's base price, I reckon 80 was just... a passable average. 

If I were to do my team again, I probably would not have Swallow in my SC team.  Saying that, this would have put me at risk at picking Bewick/Atley/Iron picks, so early corrections would have been needed for the Curnows/Libas/etc.

IMO, at this stage, Shiels is the only lock for me, who would have probably gone number 1..  Reckon is a bit premature with the other picks, especially considering they are probably going to cost like 50k+ more.
Indeed, Shiels was a near certainty for top 3 this season if he wasn't already signed by GWS as a 17 y.o. Treloar also a potential top 10 pick (maybe top 5 but can't remember). There seems to be a few bargains looming at GWS who were signed as 17 y.o's, making it hard to take on some players with that extra $$$ to them. Guess it'll come to how the prices stack up before we can really decide if we can fit in High-priced rookies such as Coniglio.