1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Justin Bieber

Name: Billy Longer
Position: Ruckman
Age (draft day): 18
Height: 202cm
Weight: 95kg

Longer is a likely top 10 pick (potentially top 5) for the mere fact he's arguably the best ruckman in this draft. He's a massive guy and isn't afraid to use his size in matches. He was in the AA team for the U18 carnival where he Captained Vic Metro to the Championships. He has great leadership qualities on the field and can do more than just ruck. He is known to be able to mvoe forward to good effect with a goal or two. He's an old fashioned ruckman who doesn't get many possessions but can get an abundance of hitouts (Tap Ruckman). The thing he adds to his game is his workrate around the ground other than just ruckwork. He's Dean Cox-esque in his ability on the ground and workrate but doesn't have that endurance yet to be at his level (not to say he ever will be).

Longer played for the Northern Knights this season where he's highlighted his credentials as the best ruckman in the draft. He's managed over 20 hitouts in his 12 outings including a game with a whopping 41 hitouts. Having his size though does play against him on some occasions, giving away free kicks more often than receiving them. Longer's Stats don't show many possessions but he can take a contested mark and adds to his fantasy capabilities with his tackling skills. Like most ruckman though, his kicking skills aren't all that great but for a rookie ruckman, he can pass on that considering his main goal is to ruck.

Fantasy Relevant? He could be depending on where he slides. Some are tipping him to go at #5 to GWS, if not them he'll go somewhere in the top 10 (if not, he's a little bargain). If he goes to GWS, I'd be more tempted to go with Jonathon Giles who has been in the AFL system before and will probably be cheaper. He wouldn't be worthy of an on field position and the ruck bench are usually lowly priced rookie rucks, I'd find it hard to fit him in if he does have an added price for him. Not to say he can't do well in the AFL, rookie rucks don't tend to play alot early and if they do, they aren't known to set the world on fire (Besides Zac Smith). Giles is more like Smith than Longer so I'd bypass Longer for the timebeing and would prefer Giles at this stage of thinking.

Cicjose

I would have taken Longer over Smith going by that info HP

bundyboy

Another nice write up ...great work :)

there are a couple of young rucks around, but I think you are right to start...Giles probably a better chance to play more games and score nicely for a cheapy 3rd ruck...  He will need to do something wrong to take himself out of my team at this very early stage......and other young rucks can battle it out for my 4th spot i recon...

fortynine

Whilst I really like his approach to the game and thought his tap work in the Country v Metro game at Etihad was really good, his second efforts weren't that great and I think he was found wanting a little in the pace of the game in a big match. Having said that Dom Tyson and Toby Greene were so incredibly good in that game that made everyone look bad, even Patton's usual domination was subdued by Boseley who I think should get a lot of credit for his effort on Patton in that game considering how badly that were smashed..

So maybe he just got lost in the other players in this game as I heard in the previous round vs SA he was top 3 for Metro easily, but either way I agree with you that Giles looks the better prospect at this stage!

Great write up!

Justin Bieber

Cheers guys :D.

Quote from: bundyboy on September 28, 2011, 10:44:26 PM
Another nice write up ...great work :)

there are a couple of young rucks around, but I think you are right to start...Giles probably a better chance to play more games and score nicely for a cheapy 3rd ruck...  He will need to do something wrong to take himself out of my team at this very early stage......and other young rucks can battle it out for my 4th spot i recon...
Similar to my thinking. Longer is the best ruckman in the draft but I would also keep an eye out on Todd Elton and Myles Bolger for now.

Quote from: Cicjose on September 28, 2011, 10:25:53 PM
I would have taken Longer over Smith going by that info HP
Long term, could very well be two of the top ruckman. Both can palm it down well and do well around the grounds skill wise. Longer just needs to work on his fitness over the off season if he's to be able to play as many games Smith did though!

Cicjose

PowerBug

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Cicjose on September 29, 2011, 12:51:05 PM
12 games isn't very good now is it?
Considering he also played in the U18 carnival, 12 games isn't that bad. The most somebody has played in the TAC this season is 21 games (Dustin Harris). Longer missed basically the entire June (carnival) and a week or two in July/August. But it's what he has done in those games which make him highly rated 8).

Torpedo10

He will get lots of hitouts but it's getting disposals around the ground that he won't get much of. There will be better choices like Giles so i'm not getting him.