Main Menu

Great Wall

Started by BGK, September 15, 2011, 09:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pothead

i have heard that they arnt the best from people.  :-\

Nails

Quote from: Master Q on September 15, 2011, 06:29:03 PM
I'm not aware of prices, but I wouldn't take the Great Wall unless you really need to... I'd stick to Toyota's, they are the most reliable car in the world, honestly I don't have one but they are great...

20 years ago people treated/spoke about Toyota the same way they do about Great Wall today...

Toyota was meant to be some "cheap, worthless asian crap" kind of car... But now everyone thinks they're the best... Great Wall might be like that in 20 years :o

bundyboy

if it' really just a work ute, and your going to keep it for only 2-3 years - get the Wall...

really, even if you just dump it after 3 years for nothing, it won't cost you any more than what you would lose on trade-in for a 3 yr old toyota. 

price is just crazy cheap, and whilst first model might not have been great, 2nd version now out is much much better - still not a Hilux, but great value for the price...

Grazz

Quote from: Nails on September 16, 2011, 12:00:38 AM
Quote from: Master Q on September 15, 2011, 06:29:03 PM
I'm not aware of prices, but I wouldn't take the Great Wall unless you really need to... I'd stick to Toyota's, they are the most reliable car in the world, honestly I don't have one but they are great...

20 years ago people treated/spoke about Toyota the same way they do about Great Wall today...

Toyota was meant to be some "cheap, worthless asian crap" kind of car... But now everyone thinks they're the best... Great Wall might be like that in 20 years :o
Bit longer than 20 years ago Nails but your point is correct. 1982 we driving Landcruiser tray tops and Hi-Lux's in the gas fields at Moomba S.A, These 4wd's were buggered at around the 40,000 k mark but we all knew that nothing else on the market would of gotten that far, a few Nissan Patrols were about and went well but the Toyota's were king. If i was you BGK id find myself a good second hand Toyota or possibly Nissan, no point buying new if you only keep your cars for a short time as you say. I also left Holdens recently after 7 years and the rep that the Chinese have isnt that great yet mate, i have no doubt they'll get there
but reliabillity would be my biggest concern at the moment.

nas

Currently on my 7th Subaru with the last 4 being Forresters. The 7 change over is that I novated leased them & have made coin on all of em with the last one being $5400 + in the pocket. The Turbo's are great, but this time with the petrol being as it is ($'s), I have just got the XS Premium on a 2 year lease.

For towing a tinny & trailer should be ok IMO. Plus you get the added benefits of a comfy wagon as well.

Again your choice. Hope that helps.

McRooster

At the last advanced 4wd course I did, there were 5 Prados (one mine), 1 Navara (the instructors), 1 Patrol, 1 Pajero, 1 Hilux, 1 Mazda Bravo and 1 Great Wall.

The instructor was very interested in the GW as he hadn't put one through this level of course before. It did everything my Prado did barr one obstacle - the twin deep wheel rut. The instructor wisely recommended the owner not pass through the rut as he was worried about ground clearance and the flimsy appearance of the vehicles underbody (worried that if something caught it would peel off or break).

Also consider spare parts availability and the spare parts expense (parts expense is something to consider in Nissans and Hondas too). Most aftermarket suppliers don't even list basic service items for the GW and you may find that you will have to go the Genuine Dealer (rip-off merchants) for even simple things like filtration  :P

The owner of the GW on our course was a 66 year old retiree named Pam  :-X

8-6 Suited

Don't go a Prado! Terrible terrible car. :P

BGK

Thanks for your thoughts guys, although I'm no closer to a decision.

Nails

I spoke to my boss who has the 4WD Great Wall...

She said only really had minor problems with it... they've had it since something like start of year

The most annoying problem they have is the boot only ever opens REALLY fast or SNAIL PACE SLOW....

She did say however:

Don't get it if you want to go fast up hill or if you want to tow anything as they're not good at either, but I think that was already covered in this thread, so yeah.

BGK

Thanks Nails. I found it to be a little sluggish going up hills too. For me that's not really a huge issue, my hoon days are well behind me.

As for the towing, thar doesn't bother me either. It won't be towing anything of great weight. I have heard of a few people burning clutches while towing but on the other hand my father in law burnt his out in a rav4 too. I think a lot of the time it's luck of the draw. You can get shower cars from all manufacturers.

Master Q

I forgot to mention it earlier... If you are only going to use your car for a few years DONT BUY A NEW CAR!  ;)

BGK

Quote from: Master Q on September 20, 2011, 07:08:34 PM
I forgot to mention it earlier... If you are only going to use your car for a few years DONT BUY A NEW CAR!  ;)

I always buy new cars and always will. The thing about used cars is they are quite often someone else's problems. Thats why a lot of people sell them, its the exact reason im getting rid of our current Astra and Rav4. Some of the cars I've traded in have been absolute lemons. Ive watched friends and family continually have problems when the buy second hand cars. At least with a new car you've got a very solid warranty even if you do have a lemon.

nas

Master Q

Your choice... My dad is in the car industry...