Main Menu

Heppel!

Started by The It, August 28, 2011, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireballz

Quote from: PowerBug on August 28, 2011, 10:34:07 PM
Quote from: Fireballz on August 28, 2011, 09:13:53 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on August 28, 2011, 08:27:45 PM
Don't you think Faulks was a bit kamikaze? I'm not sure on that one, tough to call whether he was courageous or stupid.
I think Faulks suffered by not 100% committing. He hesitated and looked back just in time to see Wood's (i think?) knee up close. If he had gone back and attacked the ball he still would have got crunched but nowhere near as bad as it was. I say very courageous play but not well-executed.
Yeah Cam Wood. Everyone has different views. We all feel for the guy, who has suffered majorly from the incident, but could he have prevented it? not sure, will have to watch it again.
Do you think that as a community we're asking too much of footy players to put their body and safety on the line week in week out? Or do you think as long as it advantages the team it's fine?
Personally if my work asked me put myself at serious risk for the good of the company, they'd be getting a phone call from worksafe.

PowerBug

Quote from: Fireballz on August 28, 2011, 10:40:32 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on August 28, 2011, 10:34:07 PM
Quote from: Fireballz on August 28, 2011, 09:13:53 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on August 28, 2011, 08:27:45 PM
Don't you think Faulks was a bit kamikaze? I'm not sure on that one, tough to call whether he was courageous or stupid.
I think Faulks suffered by not 100% committing. He hesitated and looked back just in time to see Wood's (i think?) knee up close. If he had gone back and attacked the ball he still would have got crunched but nowhere near as bad as it was. I say very courageous play but not well-executed.
Yeah Cam Wood. Everyone has different views. We all feel for the guy, who has suffered majorly from the incident, but could he have prevented it? not sure, will have to watch it again.
Do you think that as a community we're asking too much of footy players to put their body and safety on the line week in week out? Or do you think as long as it advantages the team it's fine?
Personally if my work asked me put myself at serious risk for the good of the company, they'd be getting a phone call from worksafe.
They defidently ask for too much. Players have feelings too, they aren't robots. Jonathon Brown's incident looked a bit toward the kamikaze side, so did Toovey. Even heard that he got a call from Shaw to enter that contest. Too much.

Cicjose

all i will say is this

no players should willingly attack the ball if they know they will be hurt

Wes Mantooth

risking your tail is part of the job as an afl player, they know this when they play at junior level. don't believe me? go watch a under12 game - the coaches are telling them to do just that. its a given when you get to SANFL/AFL/VFL/WAFL level. Worksafe would probably have an issue with most sport these days, example motor car drivers - it's their job to drive a hunk of metal at 300kph.

plugz19

heppel the best pick up of the year

hardnut

Quote from: plugz19 on August 29, 2011, 08:48:53 PM
heppel the best pick up of the year
+1  ;)

worksafe kill joys -1  ;D

browny_wce

courage is a hard thing to define in footy

Faulks actions (along with Tooveys a while back) probably not the best executed

some players are courageous in their actions in different ways: throwing their body at the footy like a stereotypical Jono Brown or Roo mark; taking a massive hanger like Walker or McPharlin everyweek; running back into a contest to spoil knowing your gonna get crunched like Waters or Fletcher; taking on the big guy even tho your a midget - Jake King; and then theres those with no awareness of whats about to happen ie. Faulks, Toovey, Kozi.

i wouldnt say Heppell lacks courage, Id say he just hasnt worked out when to go or when to stay so better to stay safeor hes just smart in thinking to let someone else give the ball to u and u pin-point a teammate on the chest 40m away thru congestion.
just think u never really see Pendles or Ablett or Dal Santo putting their body in dangerous or "courageous" positions week in week out and theyll play 250+ games and be remembered as greats

PowerBug

Well, not every footballer has to be an inside player, outside players are needed to.

With the contact, you cop the bad injuries with the heoric marks.