Strategy: match my opponent's midfield or go unique?

Started by Canuck, August 12, 2011, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

I have to trade out A. Swallow this week and can't decide who to bring in.  My other midfielders are: Swan, Boyd, Pendles, Bartel & Montagna.

I'm in the top four in my league and gunning for a win since I have 3 Cats and want to avoid a game next week.

So, do I do the obvious and upgrade Swallow to Ablett(I have abit under $400K to spend)?  My opponent's midfield is the same expect he has Mitchell and Ablett instead of my Montagna and whoever I trade in.  Getting Ablett would only match old mate's midfield, and apparently Ablett doesn't score well at the Gabba.

Other options include Thompson and Barlow (who's been showing some form the past few weeks).  I don't really like Thompson against Geelong this week and Barlow still seems a bit risky.

So do I just match his midfield w/ Ablett or be different and take Thompson or Barlow?

ossie85

I wouldn't trade out Swallow out... though I don't know how many trades you have left.

But yeah, I'd go with Ablett, assuming you're ok elsewhere in the team.

Canuck

Really?  Not trade out A.Swallow?  This would mean my Mzungu/Knights w/ Montagna would be up against his Mitchell and Ablett.  That seems like suicide.  I have 5 trades left and was banking on using one to swap out Swallow for round one, especially since I really don't want to have a game next week with all my Cats.

As for Ablett, its hard to argue against him, he's just a bit injury prone and on the worst team in the competition (not that that has stopped him from posting massive scores).  Plus the idea of winning with someone like Barlow that is unique is tempting....but probably dangerous.

JazDT

Have you considered Rockliff? $60k upgrade, avg 120 in his last 5. Should post a huge score vs GC

ossie85

To be honest Canuck, you probably should have had this planned out already :( But it could well end in suicide for sure. OR, you could trade for Ablett, LOSE, and have one less trade and 3 cats!