Main Menu

The loose full back

Started by PowerBug, August 17, 2011, 11:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Glass , Scarlett , Flecther (Not so much) , Troy Chaplin.

Why is it these top defenders are no longer playing on the top forward, and are playing loose. Few weeks back it took until the 15th minute of the last quarter for Glass to play on Hall. And in the Port vs Blues game Chaplin ran off the wing!

I write this in the Port thread as they are falling for the trap not having 2 suitable defenders.

AFEV

Probably because they can perform better in other positions while letting younger defenders to blossom under their mentorship.
Look at Fletcher, most weeks he just waits in the back pocket and when the ball comes in he can swing across and help out Pears/Carlisle/Hooker. Without this they would probably get beaten a lot and with it they can learn how to play on the big forwards.

Same deal for Scarlo & Glass. Works very very well.

I have no idea why Chaplin was on a wing though...

valkorum

Simple Answer:  Because they are not as good as everyone makes them out to be.  I cant remember a time when Scarlett has ever been made accountable to the best forward.  I think Scarlett is one of the most over-rated Full-backs going round.  A full back is someone who actually plays on the full-forward and negates him.  Taz, Grover, Merrit, Silvagni of the Stephen flavour are good examples of full-backs

Usman

QuoteSimple Answer:  Because they are not as good as everyone makes them out to be.  I cant remember a time when Scarlett has ever been made accountable to the best forward.  I think Scarlett is one of the most over-rated Full-backs going round.  A full back is someone who actually plays on the full-forward and negates him.  Taz, Grover, Merrit, Silvagni of the Stephen flavour are good examples of full-backs

I disagree i have seen Scarlett play alot and he is as good as everyone make him out to be. One on One he is almost unbeatable. I think the answer to the loose full back's is how many teams best forward plays at Full Forward? then how many of those payers are considered good in terms of the entire league. The answer is not many compared to centre half forwards. FF's also tend to have poor defensive skills so it is easier for these full backs to run off. Fletcher is the most 'loose' out of all of these players simply because he needs to help out his team the most both defensively and offensively.

ossie85

Agreed valk. While I think Scarlett is a great player... the level of stardom people place on him is a bit much.

I think could mean Taz a smokie for All-Aus fullback. Having said that, I'd still choose Glass over him (but haven't watched many eagles games to be honest).

PowerBug

Quote from: Sid on August 18, 2011, 12:13:53 PM
Probably because they can perform better in other positions while letting younger defenders to blossom under their mentorship.
Look at Fletcher, most weeks he just waits in the back pocket and when the ball comes in he can swing across and help out Pears/Carlisle/Hooker. Without this they would probably get beaten a lot and with it they can learn how to play on the big forwards.

Same deal for Scarlo & Glass. Works very very well.

I have no idea why Chaplin was on a wing though...
Port v Carlton. Chaplin started on the wing with Scotland, then never crossed paths again for the whole match. This is costing Port Adelaide countless goals. I'm not saying we'll start winning, coz we can't do that, but the easy goals will be stopped.