Main Menu

AFL Live 2011 review

Started by Chichos, July 25, 2011, 02:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chichos

Well its great to see a new AFL game out! It's been a while since the last AFL game but this one has topped all of them with its new technology in gaming.

I will discuss the features of AFL Live that I like and dislike.

The first thing that i dislike is the song selection. Their are only 2 songs in the game (them being Holy Grail and We are the favourite sons). I would have to say a normal game should have at least 15-20 songs. It gives me a headache listening to the same 2 songs over and over again.

Competition Mode only contains Season, Nab Cup, Finals, Custom Season, Custom Cup and Custom Finals. They should maybe put into consideration how FIFA 11 have heaps of different modes like Be A Pro and Lounge Mode. That would be a lot more fun :)

Season is good but its only 1 season which I find very annoying. I would much rather prefer 15 seasons with a national draft each year and a trading system during the off-season. They should take into perspective FIFA 11 manager mode which contains much more features (but i guess soccer is a whole bigger thing compared to AFL)

The commentary with Dennis Cometti and Brian Taylor is good. The crowd looks unbelievably unreal and hopefully they can work on that.

The camera angles are rather disappointing. It took me a while to find the angle that I liked the best (that being end-to-end dynamic).

The umpiring is alright. The 'holding the ball' rule is so bad as you get pinned straight away.

Tackling is also way too easy.

Lining up for goal is also way too easy even with a huge breeze. They need to figure out something new to make lining up for goal a lot harder.

The graphics are also a plus.

Team Management is rather complicated as when I click the button to change a players position, it comes up with a list of the best players to play in that position. I'd rather it staying the same and finding the player you want to play in that position. It may be easy for most of you but it's a little frustrating for me.

After each quarter it comes up with the 3 leading goal kickers and possession winners. Their needs to be a feature where you can see how your whole team is doing statistically e.g. goals, possessions, marks etc. instead of just seeing the top 3 players for goals and possessions.

Maybe put into consideration more teams such as SANFL, WAFL AND VFL clubs.

Training is also the same as basically every other sports game.

Online is also very simple but when ever I play a match the person I verse always forfeits. It also lags a lot (don't think its my internet) in the middle of a game. An example of this is when a players i about 10 metres behind me then half a second late I'm pinned holding the ball?

Creating a team is also something different which I like a lot :)

Overall I give it a 6/10.

If your a passionate about your football then its worth the buy. Its good game to play with your mates on multiplayer.

Please share your thoughts in the comment section if you agree or disagree with any of my points i have just discussed. Any other comments are also welcome :)

Fireballz

They need to make one for nintendo wii  :P

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Fireballz on July 25, 2011, 03:02:51 AM
They need to make one for nintendo wii  :P

They have. It's just called "AFL" and it was released in May this year alongside AFL Live for the Xbox, PS3 and PC.

I too have played the game and while it is flawed in many ways, it is fun and addictive.

There's no way AFL Live will ever rise to the quality of FIFA 11, unless EA picks the titles up, which they won't because there's not a huge market for the game and not a great profit to be made from it. Plus, Australian gaming studios don't have anywhere near the budgets that US gaming studios have, so I'd rather see them work on the essentials.

I don't really care about the crowds, having SANFL/VFL/WAFL etc, the songs, the statistics etc.

All I'd love to see in the next year's game is an improvement to the AI and the addition of a dynasty mode.

elephants

I reckon we should be able to go back to the early 2000's with the drafts and we can use the real players.
Don't worry about the crowd too much, FIFA has screwed that up every year for the last decade.

Maca24

I only play online, which is fantastic  :-*
Im pretty goof at it  :-X :P

One thing I would change is the glitch when you can smother people kicking set shots at goal.
Cheats online always do it and its annoying.