2012 squad sizes / trades

Started by Spinking, July 07, 2011, 10:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

The sub rule is definitely working in the afl so they really should keep it. Hopefully the byes will go and squad sizes will return to normal.

Chichos

i reckon there will be 24 rounds because theirs 18 teams.

i also reckon they should have an official bench of 6 players. 4 interchange players and 2 substitutes.

Andrew

Quote from: Spinking on July 07, 2011, 10:59:52 AM
While it's been nice to have the extra coverage / more opportunity to increase $ with cash cows, I think generally it has meant that most people have been able to develop better teams than previously, and led to some very similar lineups. Nearly everyone in my league has a similar midfield - Swan, Pendles, Boyd, Ablett, Mitchell, Murphy etc. where in the past only the best strategic coaches could afford all the premiums. 

To be honest I think in the past couple of seasons of DT at least alot of teams are similar, thanks to the popularity of sites/forums like this one.

With still 22 rounds changing leagues to 18 teams is a no brainer. 1 DT league bye, may as well be round 1 which is always tough to pick and seems a strange round by seasons' end anyway with teams at different stages of their preparation. I think it will go back to a squad of 30 and trades of 20, as byes are gone and the season isn't any longer. But I would like to see 24 trades retained as with new teams in the competition it's tough to pick who will go well so you need the trades to be able to take some risks. Also, the sub rule seems to have increased the chance of a rest. Maybe go inbetween with 22 trades.

ossie85

Quote from: Chichos on July 24, 2011, 12:51:08 AM
i reckon there will be 24 rounds because theirs 18 teams.

i also reckon they should have an official bench of 6 players. 4 interchange players and 2 substitutes.

AFL said only 22 rounds

Chopps

they wont go 4 and 2 they are trying to slow the game down, this would speed it up significantly

Cicjose

i wouldn't mind 4 interchange and 1 sub.....

Windigo

3 interchange. The normal sub & 1 sub in case of an injury sustained AFTER the first sub is activated.

plugz19

Quote from: Windigo on July 25, 2011, 06:40:44 PM
3 interchange. The normal sub & 1 sub in case of an injury sustained AFTER the first sub is activated.
too hard to say what is a game ending injury and what isnt?
hypothetical: foley taken off with 'hamstring tightness' could play on but has a 1% chance of doing the hammy, count as an injury?

i do like the 3 interchange and 2 subs, allows for good flexibility

The F.A.R.K.

the sub rule is a rule and it is that.. a rule
we all have to put up with it and every team in the afl has to use it.
when people complain and say the sub rule is ruining dt well everyone has to abide by it so it is not like it is unfair it is just the luck of the draw. get used to it

PowerBug

Hasn't the AFL revealed that it's a 22 round season next year. And a DT site has revealed that it's 18 teams per league, thus only the 1 'sighter' round, Round 1.

ossie85

Didn't realise it had been confirmed for an 18 team league! Do you have a link?

PowerBug

I don't. I heard it on m0nty's show, The CoachesBox. He said where he found out. The Pre-Round 18 show.

Grazz

22 rounds and 18 teams hey, i'm happy with that, does that mean 17th and 18th miss finals altogether if we still roll with the top 8 system. 1 game for a sight is ok better than this year. Most people i think had the rookie sorted by the time we go going.
I agree a lot of teams very similar but i chose to play in some leagues with some quality coaches from here etc and i think
its part of the territory, the coaches are all pretty much on the ball. There's still enough subtle differences between sides to keep it
interesting. Looking forward to next year already.