Trade or sit tight? DT noob

Started by outofthegloom, June 23, 2009, 01:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outofthegloom

Hi fellas.

This is my second DT year (last year I had no idea) and exceeding my expectations by a mile! Ranked inside the top 100 and still in eliminator.

Backs: Bock, Goddard, Fisher, Mackie, Gilbert, Adcock, Grimes (Broughton, Cheney)
Mids: Bartel, Swan, Gibbs, Murphy, Kornes, Rich (Muston, Cockie)
Rucks: Cox, HMac (Jacobs, Browne)
Fwds: Pavlich, Chapman, ROK, SJ, Deledio, J Brown, Franklin (Warren, Hentschel)

Only 4 trades left, with the weakest players in each position bolded. Franklin actually is my worst on-field performer (75 avg  ::))

Probably keeping Buddy, and will look to upgrade Rich and Grimes later in the year. Also undefeated in leagues. Thoughts?

loserboy

even tho ur a noob doesnt look like u need any help lol

i would have broughton on the field over grimes tho.

how much do u have left in the bank? if over 150k id say wait a bit then upgrade with one. trade in 2 premiums and hold the last one for injuries. but id wait til the cusp of finals

Dreamau5

wtf, 2nd yer DT and ur top 100
are u like the choose ONE, the one that will bring balance to the DT WORLD maybe the prospectus was true!

mcwarne

With only 4 trades left I would expect your team to be gunned up. Ideally you should have 8-9 trades left. I have 9 and am going to save them for closer to the end of the season. There is nothing worse than being in a big final and you have no trades left and a gun player of your goes down injured. You have to sit and wave goodbye to him and cop a zero. SAVE your 4 trades for the finals as that will only just be enough then.

Hawks_1976

You maybe top 100 now but you will crash outside the top 1000 unless you hold onto those trades.

I'd consider cashing Cheney to upgrade Rich around R18 if you still had the 4 trades left by then. But that would be it.

outofthegloom

@Dreamau5 - lol, got the prospectus? I don't have a copy of that.

@others - I must admit, I did finish ~120 last year and that was my first year of DT. I got as high as 14th, but had Shaw, Didak, Porpz etc who ruined my finals.

I've always been an avid AFL follower, and when I came to picking my initial squad (both years) I just looked at the scoring system and tried to pick players I thought were suited to DT, ie, Thompson, Bartel, Ablett, Swan etc. Didn't look much past stats and my perceptions of players gamestyles and it seems to put me in good stead.

My main downfall is my trading. Not the players that I've picked up, but the timing and excessive use of trades. I think from what you guys have said is that I should just hold now, and I think I might have to. Wouldn't mind looking at Ballantyne or Anthony in a few weeks when they're playing their 3rd game to downgrade to and just hold the cash until I can trade later in the season.

Thanks guys!