Knights trade!!

Started by redrocket, June 09, 2011, 06:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Problems

Quote from: jvalles on June 09, 2011, 10:42:50 PM
Quote from: Andrew on June 09, 2011, 10:31:02 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on June 09, 2011, 10:16:54 PM
I believe that Knights is the sub, sorry guys.

Why do you believe that - just because he's named on the bench? I believe it'd be highly unusual for an experienced player who has been playing all season (and quite well) to start on the bench. Would've thought he's got too much match fitness/hardness to be sitting on the bench for nearly 3 quarters of the match.

I wouldn't expect Symes to be a sub either, but he was.  Who knows what goes through Craig's head.  Wouldn't think they would make Knights sub, but wouldn't be surprised either.

Powerbug/Jvalles - you've only given us a hunch cos you've seen 4 people on a bench, you don't have any real justification except that 2 of the 4 are tall so you think they are unlikely (I'm not having a go at you personally lads). The sub can be any of the 22 players named.
Andrew - Last week Cats v Bulldogs, Scott started Varcoe on the bench then subbed Kelly. I know Cats and Crows are two very different teams in different positions on the ladder but Scott could have benched his 1st yr players too so I think it goes to show that coaches will bench older/established players if they think its justified

jvalles

Quote from: Problems on June 09, 2011, 11:12:35 PM
Quote from: jvalles on June 09, 2011, 10:42:50 PM
Quote from: Andrew on June 09, 2011, 10:31:02 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on June 09, 2011, 10:16:54 PM
I believe that Knights is the sub, sorry guys.

Why do you believe that - just because he's named on the bench? I believe it'd be highly unusual for an experienced player who has been playing all season (and quite well) to start on the bench. Would've thought he's got too much match fitness/hardness to be sitting on the bench for nearly 3 quarters of the match.

I wouldn't expect Symes to be a sub either, but he was.  Who knows what goes through Craig's head.  Wouldn't think they would make Knights sub, but wouldn't be surprised either.

Powerbug/Jvalles - you've only given us a hunch cos you've seen 4 people on a bench, you don't have any real justification except that 2 of the 4 are tall so you think they are unlikely (I'm not having a go at you personally lads). The sub can be any of the 22 players named.
Andrew - Last week Cats v Bulldogs, Scott started Varcoe on the bench then subbed Kelly. I know Cats and Crows are two very different teams in different positions on the ladder but Scott could have benched his 1st yr players too so I think it goes to show that coaches will bench older/established players if they think its justified

Hey, I never said anything about the talls, but it has been pretty common for the last guy named on the bench to be the sub moreso than what you're saying.  I never said he would definiteley be the sub, just said I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him named just to give him a rest instead of resting him completley.  Now that thats out of the way, I still think there are 2 options.  If you're going to get ready of him, now is the right time, if not then he should more than liklely be a keeper coz his price will start to drop/plateau.

fran

you make a valid point. however Geelong has rotated players extremely heavily this year. only 4 players have played every game this season. They have the depth to be able to rest older and "better" players  and still win the game. Crows atm don't have this luxury to be able to "rotate" players.

while is is possible that Knight could get subbed, it is highly likely given Adelaide will want to play the side that gives them the best chance they can of winning... because they need a win!

I still think your point is somewhat valid, just unlikely in the "crows" situation

Problems

Quote from: fran on June 09, 2011, 11:18:59 PM

you make a valid point. however Geelong has rotated players extremely heavily this year. only 4 players have played every game this season. They have the depth to be able to rest older and "better" players  and still win the game. Crows atm don't have this luxury to be able to "rotate" players.

while is is possible that Knight could get subbed, it is highly likely given Adelaide will want to play the side that gives them the best chance they can of winning... because they need a win!

I still think your point is somewhat valid, just unlikely in the "crows" situation

I watched the Crows-Roos games last week and although Knights wasn't great there were plenty others who could have played better as I've already named. And regardless of how Thursday teams are named, I would have thought an AFL coach would use this theory too as Craig really does need his best team on the field at all times.
I wouldn't fall off my chair if Knights does start as sub or finishes as sub but I would be very surprised.

G()D

The sub will probs be Otten, Neil Craig will ease him in post injury

Andrew

Quote from: G()D on June 09, 2011, 11:29:27 PM

Great point, and Craig said pre-season Otten would be a good candidate for the sub role. I've got Knights matchups in all my games this week but I'm not taking the punt by benching him. If he is the sub he'll be downgraded next week for sure, probably out for Sylvia regardless once Sylvia bottoms out.

Thanks for the feedback people.

Fenno

I think it could be Otten but not for easing in reasons the guys has been playing for weeks in the SANFL so he is well and truly over his injury.

jvalles

Quote from: Andrew on June 10, 2011, 12:11:56 AM

Great point, and Craig said pre-season Otten would be a good candidate for the sub role. I've got Knights matchups in all my games this week but I'm not taking the punt by benching him. If he is the sub he'll be downgraded next week for sure, probably out for Sylvia regardless once Sylvia bottoms out.

Thanks for the feedback people.

Hope you've got money in the bank then, coz a sub score will see Knights drop a bit with a BE of 100+.