Round 24 - Geel v Collingwood - players likely to be rested?

Started by Sully, July 05, 2011, 12:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sully

With Geelong and Collingwood likely to have sown up the top two spots by round 24, do you think key players will be rested from both sides for this clash. Or do you think that there will be a desire to have a competitive edge leading into the finals with both sides playing their best available 22's?

ossie85

IF the minor premiership is still up for grabs, I don't think there will be any resting. Especially since Geelong would've recently had the bye.

bowyanger

Geelong less likely to rest because of bye two weeks beforehand.
Its good to have a run into finals...I would expect pies players to be rested round 21, 22 & 23...but then again would MM want his stars going into a bruising encounter the week before finals start?
So many things to consider...would each coach want to see each other at full tilt to see where they can improve or keep a little up their sleeve?
Will be interesting, I dont have any Cats but Ive got pies that more than likely would get rested at sometime during our finals such as Shaw, Swan & Pendles

Macman5005

Agree Geelong are less likely to rest but it is to far away to predict who will get rested and what motivation the coach will have at the time. Injuries will also play a big part, as you are less likely to get rested if you are already missing 5 star players. No coach will want to get belted by 50+ points in the lead up to the finals, he will want his players in form. So I guess what I am saying after all that is ... who knows!!!! lol :)

blah128

Might see some of the gun players getting used as sub or subbed off depending on how they're going

bowyanger

Quote from: Macman5005 on July 05, 2011, 02:06:28 PM
Agree Geelong are less likely to rest but it is to far away to predict who will get rested and what motivation the coach will have at the time. Injuries will also play a big part, as you are less likely to get rested if you are already missing 5 star players. No coach will want to get belted by 50+ points in the lead up to the finals, he will want his players in form. So I guess what I am saying after all that is ... who knows!!!! lol :)
Erm...Freo last year against the Hawks?

RiOtChEsS

imo there will only be restings if its a dead rubber...

otherwise its going to be...

BlackMamba

Quote from: Marcz on July 05, 2011, 03:03:36 PM
imo there will only be restings if its a dead rubber...

otherwise its going to be...

So it's gonna be boring either way?  ;D

cortez

Both clubs will be wanting to be firing for finals. Win the game after and they're in a prelim. If they rest players it means those players rested will have only played one game out of three leading into a preliminary. Not a very good way to be heading in i don't think. Both teams will be at full strength. But will be playing cards close to chest.