Main Menu

vs St. Kilda

Started by bunyip, March 21, 2011, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

1st game is finally here and we have St.Kilda on Friday. The Saints have had a few distractions the last few months, and it remains to be seen if that will effect their game.
The Cats have had a pretty good pre-season and have tried all their recruits at one time or another.
It will be really interesting to see how the coaches use the new substitute rule.
All the predictions seem to be that Geelong will slide down the ladder this season because of their age. I admit the evidence is compelling, but i also believe we are talking about an extraordinary team here.
The game on Friday will, or should, answer a few questions. One win or loss does not constitute a season, but if the Cats are to buck the "age" trend and finish in the top 4, then they will need to win most of their games at the start of the season when they are fresh.
What worries me the most is, if you are to win the premiership, then you have to improve over last season. Much and all as I love Geelong and want them to succeed, I can't see where we have improved from last season. We will have to rely on players like Moons and Scarlo and Hawkins to find some form, as they were a bit down last season, and hope our younger players can take the next step.
Gazza's gone, but Bartell and Sellwood are still there, so we should cope.
I'll be watching with great interest, this game may either be the start of a downward spiral, or the continuation of a great era for the club.

ossie85

Is generally true that you have to improve to win the flag the bunyip, though I rate the 2008 Cats better than the 2009 Cats, yet it was 2009 that won!

This is clearly the match of the round, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Could it come down to Geelong's ageing but supreme defense, against the Saints questionable forward line? Gamble adds a bit to the Saints (much to my surprise...).

I think the Saints have the wood over the Cats (except for the one that counted), and will win on a better all round effort. Saints will be more on a mission than the Cats, and will have pumped themselves up after 3 grand final failures and the off-season from hell.

My prediction...

Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Monty have the edge over Bartel/Selwood with question marks over Chappy, Ling and Corey. Riewoldt will kick 2-3 in a solid display, while Varcoe will threaten to blow the game open without quite doing it.

Saints by 19 in a low scoring game.

Fair bunyip?

bunyip

I disagree oss. I think Geelong will win because they are better prepared mentally. One thing getting old can't do is tarnish your mental toughness, and I believe Geelong have plenty of that. I know that alone won't win a game but if you look at the teams expected to front up, Geelong can match the Saints, with the obvious exception of full forward.
It's a tough call to say the Saints have the "wood" on us, I think they were lucky to beat us in the semi last season.
My tip is the Cats by 2 goals

Cruiseon

I have a double edged opinion. I think St.Kilda will win a close one on Friday although the lack of a quality ruckman for St.Klda could be exposed by Ottens if, as seems to be the case, he is fighting fit for round one. Let's not forget it was only a dubious free kick that seperated them in September last year.

However if this scenario occurs the media and others will jump further off the Geelong cause and personally I think they have a great chance over the longer journey. I'm not much of a betting person but I saw Geelong's odds are currently 11-1 and if they get out beyond that after round 1 I think that is astonishinging good value for a team of that quality.

bunyip

I agree Cruis, but, having said that, history says Geelong won't do very well this season. Still, if any team can buck a trend, it's Geelong.

bunyip

A gutsy win. Scarlo may have something to answer for. Ironic that Dasha kicked the winning goal. An old dog for a hard road.
If every game is gonna be like that, we'll be spent by round 5.

RiOtChEsS

that Selwood footage was horrible brought back memories of some not so fond times :(

cracking game tho only caught the 2nd half but i heard thats when it was at its best :)

bunyip

3 goals kicked at half time. It was a bit tedious.