Main Menu

Open Space

Started by Cicjose, March 03, 2011, 05:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

who here has been keeping up with this new column on afl.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=108635

I've submitted a comment which hopefully will be shown soon.

Luigi197

cool nice work CJ; good luck.
when or if it is published tell us all :D

look forward to reading your quality in it :P

Cicjose

It's just about some trends i wanted to point out about an area that i dont think has been talked about for some time which i think needs to be examined again

Cicjose

Does Sport Science Matter????????????

As a Fremantle supporter the fact that i have seen a team with a woeful pre-season of injuries i would say this. Sport Science is a big factor in developing the development of AFL players over the last number of years with Neil Craig ascending to the Coaches role of Adelaide on the back of a sports science degree.

A large aspect of Adelaide over his reign is to try and get his team to a fitness base that makes his team fitter, faster and have better disposal efficiency.

Last year his team's disposal effiency was 73 percent which was the same as Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Sydney (Equal 3rd behind Richmond, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs)

AFL Club Disposal Efficiency 2010

Adelaide 73%
Brisbane 70%
Carlton 73%
Collingwood 73%
Essendon 71%
Fremantle 71%
Geelong 76%
Hawthorn 73%
Melbourne 72%
North Melbourne 73%
Port Adelaide 70%
Richmond 74%
St Kilda 74%
Sydney 73%
West Coast 70%
Western Bulldogs 74%

Of these clubs West Coast was the worst along side Brisbane for turning the ball over.

2010 - Season 156.6 missed games per club - 47 injuries per club

As the 2010 injury report is yet to be produced by the AFL

some stats from the 2009 report suggest that Sport Science is having an effect on injuries

attached is the injury re-occurring rate

So with that in mind and the below players from the club i support having lengthy layoffs due to injuries this pre-season

Hayden Ballantyne (foot) - TBA
Michael Barlow (broken leg) - 6-8 weeks
Roger Hayden (foot) - 5 months
Joel Houghton (broken arm) - 6-8 weeks
Anthony Morabito (knee) - season
Garrick Ibbotson (ankle) - 6-8 weeks
Matthew DeBoer (Hamstring)
Byron Schammer (Hip)
Stephen Hill (Shin Soreness)

Do I believe Sport Science is making a difference??

No.

Further analysis in my opinion is required but for the sports science to justify its place in the game the number of injuries and games missed should be dropping.

With the introduction of byes it will be interesting on what will be the main use for them by, whether to work on skills or to let the body rest.

With Gold Coast the first to finish their byes it would be interesting to see if they come out all guns blazing in round 2 after using round 1 as a rest period with a skills based approach come round 9 during their second bye

With the latest rule
Each interchange made by the opposition increases a team’s risk of injury by approximately 0.8%. Each interchange made by the team itself (in the previous week) decreases their risk of injury by 0.4% (strong trend, P=0.13, 95% confidence intervals +0.1% to -1.0%). This logistic regression model did not find game continuity (as measured by length of the game/percentage of time in play) to be a significant predictor of injury, suggesting that the increases in injury rates in recent years were related to interchange use rather than changes in game continuity

Cicjose

FOOTBALL has a bizarre way of leveling itself out over the course of a game, a week, season or in this case, a year. Highlighted perfectly at the Gabba on Saturday night when the resilient Briosbane Lions notched their first win of the year over North Melbourne.

proof they don't proof read Open Space..... see if you can spot the mistake

bomberboy0618

What club is called Briosbane?

Cicjose

dunno never heard of it where is it?