Petrie - Ruck v Forward

Started by Colley Dogs, February 07, 2011, 09:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch74

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on February 08, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
I'm going for an overall top 100 place this season, and I can assure you, scoring is more important as you all know. Therefore, Petrie will be in my forward-line and Joel Tippet, the cheap R/F rookie will be in my Rucks as a 4th to swap Petrie with when Sandilands has his bye.

You guys all seem to miss the point of MPP here. Sure, if he gets his average back, that will be fantastic but Sandilands was a 100 a game scorer. There isn't going to be a 3rd ruck that can replace that. Petrie is and has the potential to be a mild replacement, when if you select your forward line right, wont be missed on the bench for the week as forwards should be scoring the same as he does.

I'd much rather prefer to upgrade Petrie to the likes of Jack Reiwoldt or someone of the sorts later in the season than have him in my side as a ruck at the end.
Agree Shaggy ;)

tigertops

fletch,

why cant u upgrade him as a ruck. keep his as no.2 ruck and upgrade him to a premium near the end..cox etc

Fletch74

Quote from: tigertops on February 11, 2011, 04:29:16 PM
fletch,

why cant u upgrade him as a ruck. keep his as no.2 ruck and upgrade him to a premium near the end..cox etc
You could if you have say a Tippett or so to swap him into the ruck.

Cruiseon

I think the conclusion I started with and now finishing with in this thread is that there is more upside with him as a forward. I am also a bit fan of the set & forget rucks & the cover he gives in the bye/injury is welcomed.

Good discussion though.

CrowsFan

I am another who is going with Petrie in the forward line with J Tipp as my 4th ruck. My reasoning comes down to the use of MPP.
When one of your 2 rucks has their bye (or possibly misses a game through injury/suspension) would you prefer to have a bench ruck come on and score about 50 odd points (if that) and still have Petrie in the forward line who would hopefully score at least 80 giving you 130 points. Or would you prefer to move Petrie into the ruck and move a bench forward on to the field? In my opinion a rookie forward will almost always score more points than a rookie ruck and so by moving Petrie in to the ruck when needed you should end up scoring more points than if you didn't.
Hope that made sense to you

redfield

I currently have the MPP set-up but just wanted to pick people's brains about it.

If there was a rookie ruckman who looked capable of scoring 70-75 points a week then would that change people's minds about utilising a MPP set-up? What score would the 3rd or 4th ruck need to be getting to deter people from MPP?

Bmo23

last year i had Jolly + natanui starting rucks with lobbe R/F and rookie ruckman on bench. i then had K Tippett F/R in fwd line. For me it was a waste of time as Jolly and NicNat played every game and tippett was a truck the first half of the year. That money couldve been spent on a midfielder in the fwds around 420k. So in saying that i will be starting with Sandi, Petrie....Z.Smith, Bailey......and the fwd spot instead of having say cox in the team i'll have say Goodes/Higgins. at this stage i dont plan on trading petrie out at all as i think he should score well enough. when it comes to byes u cant always assume the fwd will out score the ruck.

so for roughly the same price you could have: Sandi, Cox, Petrie or Sandi Goodes/Higgins, Petrie..

i know what i prefer

hawk_88

Quote from: redfield on February 15, 2011, 02:42:08 PM
I currently have the MPP set-up but just wanted to pick people's brains about it.

If there was a rookie ruckman who looked capable of scoring 70-75 points a week then would that change people's minds about utilising a MPP set-up? What score would the 3rd or 4th ruck need to be getting to deter people from MPP?

In terms of rookie ruckman, the two that come to mind are Derickx and Bailey. However neither a guaranteed matches yet. Then there is Robbie Campbell who is almost definitely in the Dee's best 22, but the risk of injury will always be there. Lastly there is Zac Smith, who will probably take the number 1 ruck role at the Suns.

The problem is, all of these players could easily be 3rd ruckman. So there is still room for the forth to be a throw-away MPP for Petrie in the forward line.

BlueStorm

Rucks are the one area I am really struggling with at the moment. Tried set & forget last season - that was an effing debacle!

Looking at starting with Sandi, Warnock, Petrie & Smith.

Figure that covers me for byes, form, injuries etc. Not worried about MPP - if something matches, fine, but won't rely on that to fill holes.

ando_10

if petrie stays fit theres no reason why he cant average 100.

hawk_88

Quote from: ando_10 on February 18, 2011, 11:04:57 PM
if petrie stays fit theres no reason why he cant average 100.

Maybe a bit hopeful  :)

MajorLazer

Right now, my rucks are Sandi, Ryder, Z.Smith, J.Tippett with Petrie in my forward line.

Tippett is only there for MPP and I'm hoping Petrie plays well enough to cover Ryder's late bye.

Fletch74

You might end upgrading Petrie ML, you never know. On the other note, I think Ryder's performance last night might sway me into having a look at him, but that dreaded Rd 24 >:(

antman

You only have to worry about that bye if you make it to the grand final and I know every one thinks they are going to make it but in reality only 2/16 teams will make it in every league so don't get to hung up on his point.