Guns n Rookies versus Mid Pricers

Started by ridley, January 16, 2011, 06:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridley

with the new season fast approaching and teams already being made, its time to think about which strategy you wish to employ in terms of how many players you pick in a certain price bracket.

the two strategies most popular are the

Mid Pricer: not as popular as the guns n rookies recently, but the mid pricer involves picking less premiums than the guns n rookies, so that you can put more money into mid price players (200k-350ish). the advantage with these types of players is there is less risk invloved with things like job security, and because they cost more money than a rookie, if one dosent work out, you have the flexibility to trade down to a rookie who is scoring well. the problem is trying to pick mid price players who are going to increase there avg by15-25 points.

Guns n rookies: the guns n rookies strategy invlolves cramming as much premiums into your starting 22  usually around 12-14. after this you pick only the most obvious mid pricers, and then fill the rest of your team with cheap rookies. the problem with this is you need to find a considerable amount of rookies who will be playing. . and of course if a rookies gets dropped or injured before a price rise, your left with 86k on the bench with no options. the benefits however are high scoring and high cash production.

so which strategy to you intend to employ this year and why?

ShaynoB

I just feel that you have more reward at the end of the year with going by rookies rather than mid pricers. There is a reason why they are a mid pricer... whether it be poor form year before, injured alot the year before or just out of favour with the coaches. I agree rookies are hard to pick the right ones that might play all the time but i feel its a better reward at the end of the day.   :)

CuStArDaRm

why feel the need to go one way or the other???
Gotta get the players you think will either maintain high average or improve substantially, be it rookies or otherwise.

And you need to consider that some mid pricers you get really need to become keepers so you gotta be careful with who you pick because the bonus with rookies is they are cheap and even if they play sh!t their price go's up, you know they'll make you money.

With mid prices you need to be confident that they have the ability to improve to atleast near a prem level because otherwise your stuck with a sh!t-truck who is neither scoring or going up in price. And also realise that Mid prices who have high potential ie. Petrie (ave 55 last year, 91 before that in SC) often are coming off Injury.

I mean in a perfect world we would pick all the mid pricers & rookies who would improve to a 100+ average who play 22 games but that aint gonna happen.

Dont fall for the this strategy that strategy bullsh!t.

Bottom line you have 10 mill to get a team on the park who will score you 2000 to 2500 every week from week 1 until week 24!!! Rookies are vital for cash and Mid pricers are also vital because unlike rookies they have experience and we have seen them play before at the highest level thus we have a better idea whether or not they can become keepers.

Dont limit your options to one or the other just get the best options available by soing ya research, realise when you make a mistake & fix it, like me with Tippett last year!
I had a combo of Prems rookies Mids last year & finished top 1000 in both comps.

ridley

Quote from: CuStArDaRm on January 16, 2011, 09:50:22 PM

With mid prices you need to be confident that they have the ability to improve to atleast near a prem level because otherwise your stuck with a sh!t-truck who is neither scoring or going up in price. And also realise that Mid prices who have high potential ie. Petrie (ave 55 last year, 91 before that in SC) often are coming off Injury.

if a mid price does not improve to a near premium level, then you can just trade him down to a rookie playing well or one thats on the bubble. you free up your 100+ k that way. thats the good thing about mid pricers, they are fleeeexible

reconfig

CuStArDaRm

@Ridley thats true but then you burn a trade.

Serenity

Rook v Mid Price.

Ok, lets begin with the new rule changes. 3 interchange, 1 sub.

A regular mid price will get most games and should score moderately.  rookie, well, unless they are a gun could, and should be considered for easing into the main side via the sub interchange. Expect subs to come on late 3rd, 4th quarter, get a "gun" 25-30 points for a quarter, not so bad, but take that over a game and those subs will not become cash cows.....

A safe bet will be GC, safer the leadership group for GC, or a noted NAB gun. Anything now is guess and speculation.

My personal view of Rooks, unless they play for GC's Freo, the D's, WC, Port or Richmond avoid, unless they're a NAB gun, other wise expect side to initiate rooks via the sub interchange.