Junktimer's take: MID: Rookies

Started by Junktimer, December 23, 2010, 06:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junktimer

Hello all, I'm gonna give my thoughts on what midfield's rookies amongst supercoaches should look this year.
PLEASE NOTE 1) All prices are based on m0nty's fanplanner.
2) As I will be talking about rookies who most haven't played a game, most of this will be purely opinionated, as such feedback would be lovely, and just remember that this guide is just one opinion, not gospel.
3) Due to the vast amount of rookies, only those worth considering I will write about.

OVERVIEW
This year in midfield there are a few good rookie options.  First round options such as David Swallow and Andrew Gaff will tempt many.  As well as standard rookies such as Mitchell Hallahan and Josh Green.

STRUCTURE
This year in the midfield I will probably go with a modest 2/2/0/5.  The reason I am likely to be going this is because of a few great mid price and rookie options this year.  However, there is more of a case to go more premium heavy or on the other token to start more rookies.

FIRST-ROUND ROOKIES
First-round rookies are those who were taken in the first 25 picks this year, and thus are more expensive than 87k.  First-round rookies can normally be taken with more confidence than your standard rookie, though this is not always the case.

David Swallow- (GC) $212,500, Style- Joel Selwood
The younger brother of the Roos' Andrew, he's a wrecking ball in tight and a beautiful kick in space.  Finished fourth in the Liston medal this year for best VFL player as a 17-year old.  Described as one of the best talents to come through the draft system for years.  Will get a great opportunity at Gold Coast, lock him in Eddie.

Harley Bennell- (GC) $207,500, Style- Daniel Wells
Harley Bennell is a talented ball-winner in the forward line or midfield. Has speed, poise and great goal sense. Won the Larke Medal and All-Australian honours in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he kicked 13 goals in five matches and averaged 19.6 disposals with six inside 50s.  Could be named MPP FWD/MID.  Will get a good go at Gold Coast though I think there are better options, if he is MPP however, that makes it a lot more interesting.  50/50.

Andrew Gaff- (WCE) $197,500, Style- Nick Dal Santo
Andrew Gaff is a left-footer with a terrific game sense; he imposes himself on games and has good pace and endurance combination. All-Australian team member in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 27 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency.  Should play lots of games at the struggling Eagles.  Definite short list.

Jared Polec- (BRI) $192,500, Style- Stephen Hill
Jared Polec is a left-footed long-kicking player who excelled in 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, winning All-Australian honours. Has pace and composure around goal with impressive form at senior level in the SANFL.  Another who should get games at a rebuilding Brisbane, will watch his pre season, short list.

Reece Conca- (RIC) $187,500, Style- Ryan Griffen
Reece Conca is a versatile player who can play forward, midfield or back.  His ability to run and carry and his football smarts were prominent in representing WA at the Under-18 Championships this year.  Averaged 18 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency.  Could be MPP FWD/MID.  Should play off the half forward flank next year at the Tiges, short listed, will be more interested if he is MPP.

Josh Caddy- (GC) $182,500, Style- Dustin Martin
Josh Caddy is a powerful player who wins clearances and contested marks and a dangerous forward who attacks the ball aggressively. All-Australian team member in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 24 possessions (11 contested) and seven clearances.  Should play lots of games and have an immediate impact.  I would me much more likely to pick him if he didn't play for Gold Coast, but could still pick him up.  Short list. 

Dyson Heppell- (ESS) $177,200, Style- Josh Drummond
Dyson Heppell is a highly touted prospect of whom many supercoaches will be tempted to have a crack at in 2011.  Finished 3rd in the draft camp aptitude tests, and has been described as a steal for Essendon at pick 8.  Essendon do not have great depth, so Heppell is likely to get games, barring his groin niggle.  Likely to be MPP DEF/MID.  Close to a lock for me now.

Brodie Smith- (ADE) $147,500, Style- Bryce Gibbs
Brodie Smith is a medium defender/midfielder with a terrific speed-endurance combination. Powerful player who bursts from stoppages and wins plenty of the footy. Starred in the under-18 championships with All-Australian honours, and averaged 22 disposals, five clearances and six inside 50s.  Should be MPP DEF/MID.  Not too sure whether he will get games at the Crows, 50/50 for me, if MPP, short list him.

Shaun Atley- (NM) $132,500, Style- Chris Judd
Shaun Atley is an exceptionally agile player with great speed and endurance and twice runner-up in state hurdles, which highlights his athletic ability. All-Australian team member in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 19 disposals and six tackles.  Should play on the half back flank for the Roos next year.  Short list.

Jayden Pitt- (FRE) $117,500, Style- Andrew Mackie
Jayden Pitt is a player with good reactive speed, agility and smart user off both feet. Reads ball off hands extremely well. All Australian in NAB AFL U18s in  2010, averaging 18 disposals and kicking eight goals in the championships.  m0nty got this guy wrong IMO, I think he will only be a forward.  Very skinny, unlikely for me this year.

Mitchell Wallis- (WB) $107,500, Style- Joel Selwood
Mitchell Wallis has great hands and work ethic, reads game extremely well and uses the football smartly. Captained Vic Metro in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 28 disposals at 83 per cent efficiency in three matches before being injured.  Not sure about his job security under Rocket Eade, as he has a bad history of playing first year players, so 50/50 for me.

NON-DEBUTING ROOKIES
Non-debuting rookies may not be rookies in AFL terms, but still maintain their basement rookies price in Supercoach.  These players have the advantage of having already played a game of AFL, and being in the system for an extra year or two.

Xavier Clarke- (BRI) $87,500
Xavier Clarke has scraped through to a 100+ game career. The 27-year old defender has never been a good supercoach player, his highest average for a season was in 2005 with an average of 78.  Despite this, if he can get his troublesome body right, he could be a valuable cash cow.  MPP capability he possesses helps.  Will watch pre season, its unlikely for me.

Danny Stanley- (GC) $87,500
Danny Stanley played 5 games over three years for the Pies before he was delisted.  The 22-year old was then taken at pick 5 in the 2009 rookie draft by Gold Coast.  He is a chance to be MPP DEF/MID as that was what he was listed as a defender in 2009.  Always like mature agers on the bench, and he could be a smoky.  50/50.

Andrew Krakouer- (COL) $87,500
Andrew Krakouer played 102 games for Richmond between 2001-07, kicking 102 goals in those games.  He was then jailed for assault, during that time he played for a prison team, and then when he was released from prison, he dominated at WAFL, becoming a midfielder in the process.  In the Grand Final of the WAFL, Krakouer led Swan Districts to victory, getting 42 possesions and kicking 4 goals, including the winner, amassing 290 SC points.  Should be able to crack into the Pies side next year, definite short list.

STANDARD ROOKIES

These are the rookies who are at basement price, those who were taken in the national draft after round 1 or pre season draft.  There is a large contrast between these picks, so you have to be careful when selecting them.

Clayton Beams- (BRI) $87,500
Claye Beams is a natural midfielder who only returned to football midway through 2009 after concentrating on cricket for several years. Ultra impressive for Labrador in six senior games in late 2009. Younger brother of Collingwood's Dayne Beams. Level 14.2 beep test at Victorian screening showcased his endurance.  Should play at the rebuilding Brisbane.  Short list.

Sam Blease- (MEL) $87,500
The young midfielder was showing promise in the VFL early in 2009 until an accident at school ended his season. The Year 12 student fractured his leg in a lunchtime kick around with his schoolmates and required surgery.  More injury problems delayed his debut hence he didn't play a game in 2010 either.  Likely to get games next year though if he gets his body right, short list.

Josh Green- (BRI) $87,500, Style- Marc Murphy
Josh Green is a quick and agile midfielder/forward who reads the game extremely well and wins contested footy. Won Tasmania's most valuable player in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and All-Australian honours where he averaged 25 disposals.  Should be FWD/MID.  Short list him.

Mitch Hallahan- (HAW) $87,500, Style- Joel Selwood
Mitch Hallahan is a tough inside player with a penetrating right foot; wins one-on-ones and is disciplined. All-Australian team member in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 20 disposals at 66 per cent efficiency with an average of five tackles.  Though Hawthorn have a strong midfield, he could get games.  Short list him as he is a steal at basement price.

Tom Liberatore- (WB) $87,500, Style- Lenny Hayes
Tom Liberatore wins clearances and has quick clean hands. Hard in contested situations and team orientated. Averaged 24 disposals with the Cannons, five clearances and four tackles. Neat left-foot kick and All-Australian at under-18 level in 2010.  A steal for the Bulldogs at pick 41, and a steal at basement price.  Short list.

Brayden Norris- (NM) $87,500, Style- Dale Thomas
Hard-running forward whose strong hands on the lead is a clear strength. Pace off the mark and sound endurance make him tough to match up on. Elite performance in beep test at Draft Camp with 15.6 - equalling Jarrad McVeigh’s (current Swans player) record for the best performance. Backed it up with 10.05mins for 3km (top 5 per cent). Averaged 15 disposals, four marks in 13 games with the Bushrangers in 2009.  Will be listed as a forward IMO.  Close to debuting in 2010.  50/50 for me.

Luke Parker- (SYD) $87,500, Style- Jimmy Bartel
Hard-running player who is strong overhead and around goal, has elite endurance and is super competitive. Vic Country representative at the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 18 disposals and three clearances.  Will compete with McNeil for that last spot in the midfield IMO.  50/50. 

Maverick Weller- (GC) $87,500
The Tassie boy was signed by Gold Coast in 2009.  Guy McKenna was quoted as saying he wants Weller to play round 1 for the suns.  He’s a supremely fit, tough, fiercely competitive and hard working midfielder.  Weller was only 15 years old when he made his senior football debut for TAFL side Burnie Dockers.  I reckon he may get games next year, but I think there may be better options.  50/50.

Ian Callinan- (ADE) $77,400
Ian Callinan is a mature rover who dominated the SANFL to the extent that warrants being granted a chance despite his advanced years. Similar size to Brent Harvey. Plays in a similar fashion without quite the pace. Kicks goals. Finishing skills are faultless.  The mature rover could be another Pods, who knows?  Could be one to watch pre season, short list.

Dylan McNeil- (SYD) $77,400, Style- Lenny Hayes/Simon Black
Dylan McNeil is an attacking midfielder who captained NSW/ACT in NAB AFL U18 Championships and won the Hunter Harrison Medal for best player in division two as well as All-Australian honours. Courageous player who excels at clearances.  Draft Camp level 14.2 beep test confirmed his endurance to run all day. Best and Fairest for Murray Bushrangers averaging 22 disposals including eight contested.  Could play next year, and will compete with Parker IMO.  Short list.

Jonathon Simpkin- (GEE) $77,400
The former Sydney small forward/midfielder has spent the past three years in Geelong’s VFL system and got his chance as a rookie. Played one NAB Cup game for the Swans in 2007.  According to MTTY, he teared it up this year and is a chance to play next year.  Unlikely though, will watch pre season.

j959

great write-up again JT - going to have to 'bookmark' all your player-position write-ups to check just before kick-off and again when looking for trades/upgrades/downgrades

cheers!

Junktimer

Master Q

MajorLazer

Junktimer

nas

pyronerd

yeah another great write-up JT if i win SC next year u'll be one of the first mentioned in my speech  :P

Junktimer

Junktimer