Main Menu

Who should we draft?

Started by hawk_88, November 14, 2010, 02:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk_88

Hey guys. Who do you think Hawthorn should recruit this year? Try and keep it realistic to who the Hawks might have a chance to select.

Personally I think we should go after Watson, Tape and Lamb in that order.

Boomz

Watson, McCarthy, Tape... Lamb is good but u guys need a good defender first imo & I think Lamb will be gone before ur first pick anyway... Watson likely to be gone too.

Justin Bieber

A good key back should be the main target. Not sure why you would go after Lamb, although he would be a nice addition. But you can get goals through Buddy, Roughie and Rioli. Defence is where the building needs to be done. To challenge for the finals, defence needs to shape up!!

Boomz

I can understand why they would want Lamb coz Rioli will eventually move into the middle permanently & they don't really have any other decent small forwards... still a defender first.
lol I'd love Lamb at the bombers... is an absolute GUN.

hawk_88

I agree that we need a defender as a priority, hence Watson and Tape. If both are gone however, I would go Lamb over some of the lesser defenders in the draft. Our small forward stocks have significantly shrunk this year.

Campbell Brown (Often played forward)
Rhan Hooper
Garry Moss
Carl Peterson
Cameron Stokes (Not worth much but still a small forward)

It isn't just the loss of goal scoring, it is the loss in forward defensive pressure. Add on top of that Rioli moving into the midfield full time this year and our small forward stocks become Osbourne, Bruest and sometimes Whitecross. 

Hawka

shiels can move into fwd same with whitecroos and bryest should debut nxt yr

hawk_88

Shiels isn't really a small forward and in talking with him they are developing him into a midfielder.

The only other player on our list that might fit the mould is Savage, but from what I know and watching him at VFL level they are also treating him as a midfielder.

Apart from that there aren't any other players that could play senior footy at the moment that can play small forward.

Cicjose

Whatever happened to Ryan Schoenmakers?

Hawka

he is still there just didnt devolp as much as he hawks wanted last yr so stratton jumped him in the pecking order but he still has a futre with the hawks

BoredSaint

could they put schoenmakers forward??

hawk_88

Played forward for his junior career and has moved for breifly at times. HAwks are committed to developing him as a key backman though. Said so the day he was drafted.

Big blokes take time so I am not concerned. The problem is he was so successful in his first year that had a lot of expectation build up around him. I expect to see a lot more of him this year after his third pre-season.

Justin Bieber

I like big old SChoey ;). Hoping he turns out well although, going off this years performances, maybe in another 2-3 seasons.

Hawka

we dont need a tall fwd at this stage buddy,rough,hale,lisle however he was a centre half fwd in his junior days